Guest toffee

32. Norman Tebbit

Born in 1931 and nicknamed the "Chingford skinhead" for his veiws on race and immigration.

Perhaps we could slot him in between Rosa Parks and Mrs. King. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We've been debating the curious longevity of old Tories over the last couple of days. Also, Tebbit's mind seems active - meaning it's working not that it's making much more sense - and he's still got the energy to get stuck into debates. Doubtful in the near future I'd say.

Tebbit, lke him or loathe him, has got years in him yet.

Also quite sensetive husband if you reaserch his treatment of his wife , her incapacitation, and her depression after the Brighton Bomb.

Tell me when he's gone, I for one can't wait to piss on his grave :0)

Indeed, I remember the television pictures of him being manhandled carefully out of the rubble. I'd tended not to think of him as vulnerable or feeling pain before that. I think he's well off the radar for a few years yet.

While researching "Uncle" Norman Tebbit's obitability,  I came across this little nugget which has probably been posted but not on his thread: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/05/14/former-tory-chair-lord-tebbit-calls-gay-pastor-a-sodomite-in-shocking-rant/

Yes, he called a local Dean a "sodomite" after he found out the clergyman was gay. Which, as the paper reports, came after a rant in which he claimed air pollution was making people transgender.

What a card he is......

• Like 1

On 19/08/2005 at 17:54, Guest toffee said:

Got to be a strong contender going by the latest picture of him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4163484.stm

A Shadow Cabinet of his former self??

And nearly 13 years later he seems to be doing ok. 

He has always looked skeletal though. 

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

While researching "Uncle" Norman Tebbit's obitability,  I came across this little nugget which has probably been posted but not on his thread: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/05/14/former-tory-chair-lord-tebbit-calls-gay-pastor-a-sodomite-in-shocking-rant/

Yes, he called a local Dean a "sodomite" after he found out the clergyman was gay. Which, as the paper reports, came after a rant in which he claimed air pollution was making people transgender.

What a card he is......

The pollution/transgender thing...

A good question but Tebbit may be lacking some key facts: https://www.quora.com/Can-chemical-pollution-cause-people-to-become-transgender

4 hours ago, Phantom said:

And nearly 13 years later he seems to be doing ok. 

He has always looked skeletal though. 

Was there a thread started some time last year highlighting the longevity of some people's suggestions and naming and shaming who made the original suggestion?

I can't find it if there was but Norman Tebbit, 19/08/2005 and Guest toffee would make the list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Was there a thread started some time last year highlighting the longevity of some people's suggestions and naming and shaming who made the original suggestion?

I can't find it if there was but Norman Tebbit, 19/08/2005 and Guest toffee would make the list.

I wasn’t shaming GuestToffee, just commenting that Tebbit has always looked gaunt. He's 87 now, which many could possibly mistake him for being 87 by how he looked 13 years ago.

Just now, Phantom said:

I wasn’t shaming GuestToffee, just commenting that Tebbit has always looked gaunt. He's 87 now, which many could possibly mistake him for being 87 by how he looked 13 years ago.

I didn't say you were. I was and was also saying there is a list somewhere of the best (worst) of these suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I didn't say you were. I was and was also saying there is a list somewhere of the best (worst) of these suggestions.

Well, he is up there in years now. So could be a viable pick. I personally thought he looked old 35-40 years ago.

Apparently he's decided to call Adolf Hitler "left wing".

Reminder - Norman sits in the House of Lords and remains entitled to vote.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Apparently he's decided to call Adolf Hitler "left wing".

Reminder - Norman sits in the House of Lords and remains entitled to vote.

I'll get some flack for this but in the traditional economic sense he was left wing, whilst socially he was incredibly authoritarian.

The conflation of many in the left between the left/right economic scale and the social liberal/social authoritarian scale has always been an issue.

Technically Hitler was a socially authoritarian left-winger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I'll get some flack for this but in the traditional economic sense he was left wing, whilst socially he was incredibly authoritarian.

The conflation of many in the left between the left/right economic scale and the social liberal/social authoritarian scale has always been an issue.

Technically Hitler was a socially authoritarian left-winger. 

If Hitler is left-wing, then who or what is right-wing?

However, I also think there's something valid in the horseshoe theory:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory#:~:text=In political science and popular,a horseshoe are close together.

40 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

If Hitler is left-wing, then who or what is right-wing?

However, I also think there's something valid in the horseshoe theory:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory#:~:text=In political science and popular,a horseshoe are close together.

Right wing would be an economic free market. Say America even if the democrats were running it would be right-wing because there is minimal state intervention in the provision of services.

As much as Hitler was a horrible bastard, he was a left-winger in the economic sense. An that's what the left-right scale is fundamentally about.

It's only later that people decided that an social authoritarian made a right-winger and social libertarian made a left winger. 

The problem with that is politics is not an axis of two but an axis of four.....

Social Libertarian / Economic Libertaian

Social Libertarian / Economic Authoratarian

Social Authoritarian / Economic Authoritarian

Social Authoritarian / Economic Libertarian

Which makes the left/right scale useless if you try and squeeze all four on the linear path from 1 to 2 when it's a 4 way axis. Hitler was a left winger with socially authoritarian views. It's only by ascribing his social authoritarianism to being right wing that we arrive at the idea fascism is an inherently right-wing concept; it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually think that's revisionist thinking machinated by market conservatives to equate leftism with fascism.

Both right-wing and left-wing prefer a strong state.

I have yet to see a significant free-market defender who does not invest heavily into the military or for whom market conservatism is not simply freedom from regulation so that they can fill their own pockets.

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

In the past but not since 2014!

Lol, I just edited as you replied.

List of the missed.

I'll just add - maybe in light of this "Cuddly Uncle" Norman should be on the DL next year.

Be a shame to miss the old bastard.

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll just add - maybe in light of this "Cuddly Uncle" Norman should be on the DL next year.

Be a shame to miss the old bastard.

Yeah I concur on both (all?) points.

Thoughts with Sean's family at this time though...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Margaret Tebbit dead: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/21/dont-completely-forget-forgive-one-has-completely-look-forward/

Think she might be a DDP pick.

Just checked - no but I think she might have been in the past.

Assuming Great Uncle Bulgaria arrives upon this thread in a state of panic this is me confirming a Deathrace sub is now in play, so chill! :D

• Like 3