Sign in to follow this  
Rotten Ali

Art Linkletter

I'm going to open this topic about the old school TV professional Art Linkletter ("children say the funniest things") since he is a very popular pick on the Rotten.com site (about 1,400 picks of 44,000 entries)

Since he is known more so on the other side of the pond to me, I've always imagined that its very unlikely that he will get the obit to qualify him within the DDP. I watched quite a bit of an interview he did with Larry King on CNN and can't quite work out why Art would be gaining this level of support whilst still being quite on top of almost full health and sound mine whilst suffering from the mildest alzheimer's and one bout of a minor heart refibulation corrective procedure.

OK so he is 93, even Larry noted that Art looked so good he would likely make 100 years of age.

And I too can believe that!

So please anyone. Why is it that so many people find this nice old chap such an easy choice, that he gets quite this level of such high evidential support?

So please anyone - why is it that so many people find this nice old chap such an easy choice that he gets this level quite so evident level of high support?

Personally I would only put this down to his age. FYI I haven't heard of him

It was just the other night where i was bored switching the channels

just looking for a show that would fit my intrest. I came across a

show called "Kids say the darndest things" With the host being

Bill Cosby. It's a show based on basically out going young children

who give there opinions of life. Anyway, back in the 1970's

Linkletter hosted this show and i guess it got cancelled and then revived in the mid 1990's

by Cosby. Anyway he makes a few appearances on the show

mainly in the last 10 minutes of the program. They show flashbacks

of the children he had dealt with in the past. He doesn't look all that

bad but you could clearly tell he's up there with his age. I can't say i

know what he has been up to nowa days. I know he's very big on

drug prevention. His daughter commited suicide in 1969 by jumping

out there kitchen window. He blamed LSD. I suppose he woulden't be

to fond of the 99 year old Albert Hofmann.

They show flashbacks

of the children he had dealed with in the past.

That's LSD for you ;)

Guest IYG
This guy just isn't famous enough. I had to look him up on imdb, all he seems to be is a presenter of second rate TV shows.

I have to disagree with you there.

I think he is plenty famous and should he remain alive for the rest of this year he will be on my own death list for next year.

Why should we be interested in someone who is (1) not famous, (2) "going strong" ??

Banshees Scream Posted on Aug 21 2005, 09:12 PM

Though overall hopefully

there should be a spot for him on the 2006 Deathlist. 

No, No, No. That's just what I'm not saying!

Too many of these "names" knocking about in the dead pools are just on the list because they are famous. What we need next year is a 50 name list of all sorts of moderately famous people who are obviously on their way out, not just those who very old.

In the topics set up for suggestions it often happens that people just post names of old people. What we need are good solid reasons of the person's well being.

In fact I would like to suggest that we convene a convention like get-together / christmas bash when we can better work out who to finally include in next year's list.

In fact I would like to suggest that we convene a convention like get-together / christmas bash when we can better work out who to finally include in next year's list.

Oh yes!

Show me Inar, Brimley, Dylan and Lady G's dog all carousing together gleefully and I'll have a ringside seat.

As long as I get in for free. (I'm with the band).

Oh yes!

Show me Inar, Brimley, Dylan and Lady G's dog all carousing together gleefully and I'll have a ringside seat.

I suppose Grim Reaper would be the ringmaster, he's already got the top hat. I assume you meant circus ring rather than boxing ring - the cast list would be quite a freak show don't you think?

Guest IYG

Wait a second, did someone just call me a freak? ;)

I like that idea. The Deathlist convention would be so cool. London please, a Saturday just before Xmas (the 17th is good for me).

Of course, we'd all have to wear little name-tags except for Dylan who will, I hope, still be in school uniform.

Oh this could be a first.....you see I prefer potatoes over not-potatoes; however I would be more than thrilled, tickled to bits even, if you would so kindly play my favorite tunes at this lil ol' shindig! ;) . So, I would have to say you're in (just don't forget the pomme de terres).

I think the idea was actually for something along the lines of a " cyber sapce convention".

And I do take Ali's point. There are a few names on DL 2005 that I would question (for example I have a real bugbear about Maradona being on there) and I think that getting all DL'ers involved in the selection process could be a good thing.

What actually happens to all the names on the suggestion for 2006 thread?

... he will be on my own dating list for next year.

I had no idea he was your type IYG, you are a frisky little scamp aren't you!

Wait a second, did someone just call me a freak? :P

I should hope not. That's my job ;)

Oh this could be a first.....you see I prefer potatoes over not-potatoes; however I would be more than thrilled, tickled to bits even, if you would so kindly play my favorite tunes at this lil ol' shindig! ;) . So, I would have to say you're in (just don't forget the pomme de terres).

Bruno, your musicianing days are obviously so long behind you that you have forgotten about the subtle yet vital distinction between "with the band" and "in the band"

I'm all for it. Brighton might be a good location. Now if only Hein and I could get a lift over on Mr Sole's bathchair.

How about we all dress up in school uniform for it? Just to make it all that little bit more interesting for Inar.

The pomme de terres is a new one on me but I promise to look it up in the Big Boys' Big Book of Ballet for Boys.

Guest IYG
Wait a second, did someone just call me a freak? :P

I should hope not. That's my job ;)

Dear you can call me whenever and whatever. ;)

I of course meant my death list for next year but for some reason (me being stupid) I made an error.

http://www.findadeath.com/

Read the story of his daughter's death here. It was suicide not drugs and it seems the so called nice old man wasn't that nice.

Saw that Art had a surge of picks on the RDP and thought I'd find the reason. Instead, I found this, recent picture and healthy as an ox for his age.

Linkletter dead - Not Art, but is 70 year old son, Jack.

That's two children he's outlived now :lol:

He's outlived three, actually.

Got some illustrious company then, the Bronte's dad outlived them all. Didn't last long enough to argue the toss about film rights for their work, mind.