Guest deathmeister

Charlie Drake.

Guest deathmeister

Remember that little annoying guy from the 60's ( and 70's) Charlie Drake? Has he ran out of breath yet or is he still going?

As far as I am aware he is still alive and kicking. I think he still gets wheeled out for Pantos and the like.

DWB ;)

I found this link to a theatre in Ipswich advertising Jim Davidson's "Sinderella 2". It is on for the next couple of days and features the voice of Charlie Drake. I don't know if the man himself actually has to turn up to do the talking (you would like to think so wouldn't you) but it means he is still doing the circuit.

http://www.ipswich-angle.com/events/

DWB ;)

Maybe it's a recording, on old C-90 data cassettes.

Looks like Jim's career has taken a turn for the worst after that kafuffle, where he refused to perform to a front-row of disabled people.

Maybe Jim qualifies for the DeathList as "Man whose career has died" or "Man who died on stage" (unlike Tommy Cooper who was on the stage and died).

DWB ;)

Guest scribble

Charlie Drake, it is said, has had to withdraw from performing with Jim Davidson in the new live version of sinderella due to ill health.

So for now not quite a dead duck but he maybe a prime candidate for next years list.

He was born 19th June, 1925. Just approaching his 79th birthday.

Guest Geoff Garratt

Hi from Wagga Wagga(aboriginal for Place of many Crows! - but the magpies have long since taken over)), Australia

Responding to an earlier post, Charles Drake, former casual labourer of Weighbridge, is alive and living in Crystal Palace, London. If I was living there, I'd regard myself as being on hallowed ground.......

Should anybody out there have access to any of his 'Charlie Drake the Worker' TV series video recordings, PLEEEEAAASE contact me at gg_and_ab@tpg.com.au

Similarly, I would love to get hold of any of his movies

I also remember with great fondness the TV series "Jokers Wild" hosted by Barry Cryer from around the same period and would jump at the chance to get hold of any recordings

Anybody??

Thanks and cheers :ph34r:

Geoff Garratt

Rather tragically, "Joker's Wild" was repeated on Granada Plus a couple of years ago or so - fortunately they've had the sense not to show it since....I mean, Arthur Askey for goodness sake!

I didn't even realise that we had produced our own version of Jokers Wild here. I've only ever seen them seen the american version years ago and rather naively thought that was that.

I think the UK version of Jokers Wild had to be stopped to due problems with the Trade Description Act........ :ph34r:

I check daily, and he is still alive and kicking! He has been on the top of my list for about 10 years now. :(

Guest Kegs
Hi from Wagga Wagga(aboriginal for Place of many Crows! - but the magpies have long since taken over)), Australia

Responding to an earlier post, Charles Drake, former casual labourer of Weighbridge, is alive and living in Crystal Palace, London. If I was living there, I'd regard myself as being on hallowed ground.......

Should anybody out there have access to any of his 'Charlie Drake the Worker' TV series video recordings, PLEEEEAAASE contact me at gg_and_ab@tpg.com.au

Similarly, I would love to get hold of any of his movies

I also remember with great fondness the TV series "Jokers Wild" hosted by Barry Cryer from around the same period and would jump at the chance to get hold of any recordings

Anybody??

Thanks and cheers :lol:

Geoff Garratt

To Geoff Garratt,

try Ebay item #6300255570.

Regards........Kegs.

Guest G-man

The radio mentioned Charlie Drake had his 79th birthday just the other day. According to a documentary screened here two years ago, he still shares a small flat/house with his brother.

If he's not dead, he friggin well should be !!

Guest VSBfromH

As far as I know, Charlie Drake is still with us, though not seen on our screens for some time. Also, can't we get Eric Sykes a knighthood before it becomes too late - he bloody well deserves it!!!

Here's a snippet of info, for anyone who's interested that is..

When we were first introduced to The Worker on 27th February 1965, he had already been found, and dismissed from 980 jobs over a period of 20 years, much to the frustration of local Labour Exchange counter clerk Mr. Whittaker (Percy Herbert), whose job it was to relocate him from the counter of his Weybridge office, where Charlie would bang on the counter every other morning, into permanent employment.

Diminutive comedian Charlie Drake (born Charles Springall in South London on 19th June 1925) had been a TV regular since 1954 (having made his radio debut in 1951), when he first appeared as a children's entertainer alongside Jack Edwardes on Jigsaw. The pair formed something of a double-act, which lasted until 1957 when they decided to go their separate ways and Charlie moved into adult entertainment with a series called Drake's Progress, which also starred Irene Handl, Warren Mitchell and radio's famous Man-In-Black, Valentine Dyall. It is perhaps the second series of The Worker that is best remembered, when Percy Herbert was replaced by Henry McGee as the new clerk, Mr Pugh, a name which Charlie could never pronounce, instead referring to him as "Mr Peooh", the merest mention of which would lead the Labour Exchange official to yank 5' 1" Charlie off the ground by the scruff of his neck. (Drake's excuse for being so small was that as a child he'd been fed on condensed milk). These two were the only regulars on the series with a constantly changing supporting cast as Drake tried out a different job in every episode, without success. The series was revived in December 1969 for 13 more episodes and again in 1978 as part of Bruce Forsyth's Big Night Out, Henry McGee reprising his role in both runs. Drake, whose catchphrase was, "hello my darlings", also had a string of top-ten comedy records in the early sixties including Please, Mr Custer and My Boomerang Won't Come Back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Cadillac Man

Charlie Drake was until recent weeks living in his house in Crystal Palace. But a few weeks ago he had a stroke, the result of which is blindness and after treatment at Kings College Hospital he has now been admitted to Brinsworth House, Twickenham - the home for retired entertainers.

And that needed to be written in red (attempted anyway) ??

I normally go to the trouble of cleaning up these posts, but I guess this is one I will just have to live with :huh:

Guest Mark

Charlie is not dead he is an old sweet man :( Leave him alone.