The Four Horsemen

Very Blue Peter

6 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Several Blue Peter presenters from her time have spoken of what a controlling influence she was including over their personal lives in order to retain the wholesome image of the show. I agree that she was something of a personality in her own right in a way most TV producers are not. TV producers have also featured on the list previously, Aaron Spelling springs to mind. 

It didn't stop Peter Purves shagging  his female co-stars though

• Shocked 1

Funny that the only mention of Max Stahl is on the Blue Peter thread. He is a national hero in Timor-Leste for his role in exposing the huge Indonesian massacre of 1991.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 19:18, Bibliogryphon said:

It didn't stop Peter Purves shagging  his female co-stars though

Only once apparently according to Val. Perhaps you know of others - lawyers may be watching.

15 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Only once apparently according to Val. Perhaps you know of others - lawyers may be watching.

I don't think he would sue, it is all in his autobiography. Not just BP co-stars

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I don't think he would sue, it is all in his autobiography. Not just BP co-stars

Named ladies might, though.

26 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The others weren't BP though according to his book so presumably no liaisons with Janet Ellis & Sarah Greene?

23 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Your posting name suggests you love books, the admission that you've - like - read Purves autobiography is surely proof of a habit beyond most bookworms. Apart from the copious shagging, are there other revelations in there?

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Your posting name suggests you love books, the admission that you've - like - read Purves autobiography is surely proof of a habit beyond most bookworms. Apart from the copious shagging, are there other revelations in there?

Not normally a biography reader but when my daughter was at secondary school they were told to read a biography as an assignment. In an effort to avoid some of the more lurid subjects (she wanted to read one about Freddie Mercury) I went to the library  and returned with what I thought were more wholesome ones. She selected Peter Purves because of the Blue Peter and Doctor Who connections. So it was quite a surprise when it turned out to be a massive shag fest

However his pantomime directing proved some interesting anecdotes especially how Rolf Harris struggled to cope with Sylvester McCoy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Not normally a biography reader but when my daughter was at secondary school they were told to read a biography as an assignment. In an effort to avoid some of the more lurid subjects (she wanted to read one about Freddie Mercury) I went to the library  and returned with what I thought were more wholesome ones. She selected Peter Purves because of the Blue Peter and Doctor Who connections. So it was quite a surprise when it turned out to be a massive shag fest

However his pantomime directing proved some interesting anecdotes especially how Rolf Harris struggled to cope with Sylvester McCoy

Is "struggled to cope" a euphemism?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Is "struggled to cope" a euphemism?

This would have been written well before Yew Tree. It was more to do with the intensity of performance RH is an entertainer and not an actor.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Wow, you spoilsport.  That's exactly the kind of thing my mother would have done.  It usually ended up rebounding on her in a similar way. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This would have been written well before Yew Tree. It was more to do with the intensity of performance RH is an entertainer and not an actor.

Saw Purves a few years back doing a live dog show (real dogs, not sexually incontinent members of the opposite sex) at Countryfile Live (which was such utter shite btw they didn't quibble in giving us a refund), seemed such a Mr Average I didn't detect his inner shag monster in any evidence.

So, book wise, this classic with the very fetching cover, then...

51ZETb8vHDL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

I have read a fair few autobiographies, mostly actors or politicians.

My main takeaway from these are that seemingly everyone involved in classic Dr Who was a mad shagger*. Denis Norden's book is reassuringly dull as he refuses to say even a slightly cross word about anyone he's ever met. Nicholas Parsons was very luvvie but had a lot of good stuff about working in the shipyards during WW2. Brian Blessed's book is fantastic, the chapter about dying is genuinely laugh out loud stuff, he's one of us. He counters this with a chapter about his mate Peter O'Toole, who he spent decades trying to get on the wagon but failing - this book came out after O'Toole had died. Frazer Hines's is most about his ex girlfriends, all 70000 of them. From other sources, not made up either. 

Political ones can be a mixed bag. Lord Carringtons is very good for an insight into the formation of Zimbabwe, and other foreign policy intrigues. He also comes across as a down to earth chap, for a Lord. Denis Healey's had an ego and his book is very long (and only goes up to his 70th birthday!) but has some good stories in it. Like, for example, the girls in their uni union saving everyone from Tony Crosland's epicly long debate speeches even then by taking turns to be the one who distracted him by seduction that evening! Tony Blair's on the other hand was a right mess, far too long and attempting to explain his every political decision. Also, he talks about sleeping with Cherie in it. If I were Cherie, I'd have lamped him tbh.

Also Shirley Williams book revealed her and the late Antony King were an item for a decade after her husband ran out on her and his first wife died, which was news to me!

I'm currently reading Bret Hart's autobiography, which is quite stark about his extensive number of one night stands with fans whilst married. 

*Despite Tom Baker's attempts at getting off with all of his female co-stars (lamped by Louise Jameson, had a fling with Mary Tamm, married Lalla Ward briefly) and the Peter Davison/Sarah Sutton/Sandra Dickinson thing, the winner for this is clearly Patrick Troughton, who was sleeping with two wives (at the same time, a bigamist), one of his companions, most of his female guest co-stars and consenting adult fans at the same time. He lost a lung to cancer in his 50s, got told to cut down the drinking, shagging and ciggies, only to increase all three and die of a heart attack aged 67, full of booze, seen on camera hours before his death smoking like a chimney, and having allegedly fit in the third in between that and the dying bit too. It's the way he'd have wanted to go!

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

57 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Saw Purves a few years back doing a live dog show (real dogs, not sexually incontinent members of the opposite sex) at Countryfile Live (which was such utter shite btw they didn't quibble in giving us a refund), seemed such a Mr Average I didn't detect his inner shag monster in any evidence.

So, book wise, this classic with the very fetching cover, then...

51ZETb8vHDL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have that book (it was only a fiver, don't judge) but can't recall any scurrilous revelations - maybe I haven't read it!

18 minutes ago, time said:

I have that book (it was only a fiver, don't judge) but can't recall any scurrilous revelations - maybe I haven't read it!

To be fair it isn't mostly about the shagging but he is fairly upfront about his behaviour.  A lot of it is about money,  or lack of it.

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10849243/Blue-Peter-presenters-past-present-unite-unveil-garden-RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html

Blue Peter presenters past and present  meet at garden unveiling at the Chelsea flower show. 

No obvious candidates in the near future (not even Valerie Singleton) based on that photo as they all look well to me. I suppose those who are not present might be more significant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10849243/Blue-Peter-presenters-past-present-unite-unveil-garden-RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html

Blue Peter presenters past and present  meet at garden unveiling at the Chelsea flower show. 

Also who knew Tim Curry hosted Blue Peter? Would like to have seen how Tim in his prime would have dealt with Biddy Baxter. Good old Daily Mail...

"Some of the stars, like Anthea Turner and Songs Of Praise's Diane-Louise Jordan, continue to grace our screens years after their tenure on the BBC show came to an end. Others like Tim Curry have faded from the spotlight."

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Also who knew Tim Curry hosted Blue Peter? Would like to have seen how Tim in his prime would have dealt with Biddy Baxter. Good old Daily Mail...

"Some of the stars, like Anthea Turner and Songs Of Praise's Diane-Louise Jordan, continue to grace our screens years after their tenure on the BBC show came to an end. Others like Tim Curry have faded from the spotlight."

I think I remember  Tim Curry!! 

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

No obvious candidates in the near future (not even Valerie Singleton) based on that photo as they all look well to me. I suppose those who are not present might be more significant. 

I understand that Peter Purves will be taking part in the Bus parade for the Platinum Jubilee and will be on the Sixties bus

57 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think I remember  Tim Curry!! 

No wonder! I believe he had the It factor.

27 minutes ago, msc said:

No wonder! I believe he had the It factor.

I actually have just googled it I think I was getting mixed up with Mark Curry who presented Blue Peter?!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I actually have just googled it I think I was getting mixed up with Mark Curry who presented Blue Peter?!

Yes, duh? Kill the joke. :mellow::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

"Some of the stars, like Anthea Turner and Songs Of Praise's Diane-Louise Jordan, continue to grace our screens years after their tenure on the BBC show came to an end. "

Never gets old.

8 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Which explains the absence of Helen Skelton (newly single mum of three kids with a demanding presentation career required to feed 'em)

Kinda surprised that the sparingly employed John Leslie missed than shindig, mind, I mean...he knew there'd be a few wimmin there!

• Like 1