Anubis the Jackal

Sister Wendys' Odyssey

Sister Maximillanne Young, 59, from the Poor Clares closed order of nuns in Devon, after throwing herself off a cliff. 

Her fall was witnessed by Clifford Dobson who been on a coastal walk with his wife.

He said: “There was something wrong about the location and how she was walking. I thought to myself she should not be there.

“She was around 20 to 30ft from me walking across the grass to the cliff edge. I don’t think she realised I was there. She seemed to pause and steady herself.

"Her nature changed from being unsteady to steady without a break in stride and she stepped over the edge.”

He told how she fell on to a cliff ledge 20ft below and despite his cries to stay where she was, she rolled her body over the edge and fell 100ft below.:(

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Born and bred a prod, doesn't count :)

Eta if you want an actual born Fenian nun, Tava Colo, could claim to be even older. Born in Mayotte in 1902, she is 115. But this age is not formally proven since the French colony did not register births at the time.

Here's a couple of Twitterings, make of them what you will:

• Sad 1

Looks to be true: 

Condolences to DDT...

A shocking miss from the DL!  I've been saying since 2005 that she was on the way out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

One of my first picks on here for various things, however, I lost faith.

Enjoyed her programmes. RIP.

Finally.

Christ, they're still doing Downfall videos.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

A shocking miss from the DL!  I've been saying since 2005 that she was on the way out.

WHY won't they LISTEN?!!!

• Haha 1

So is she the same Wendy that the thread was started about all those  years ago ?If so it's unusual  for someone to have their own thread for so many years but never make it on to the list isn't it?

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 06:47, Spade_Cooley said:

At least she was American in her final words.  What a fine way for this institution of a person to depart this earth!

• Confused 2

A few years ago I would’ve said she was a cert to obit but the cuts in specialty obits recently put some doubt on my mind. Still, if she ends up obitting kudos to those who picked her. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

A few years ago I would’ve said she was a cert to obit but the cuts in specialty obits recently put some doubt on my mind. Still, if she ends up obitting kudos to those who picked her. 

I wonder. Richard Coles has given a glowing one on Tweetletown about the comfort she gave him after his partner's death and he is no slow shakes at getting attention for causes close to his heart.

50/50 I'd say, unless the Mail/Mirror/Express are reading this right now. Certainly the Worcester Telegraph will be on the case.

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

There's not much of a backlog for the obit writers atm. Despite a lot of DDP hits, there haven't been many "big" names dying.

She's obscure, but interesting enough to at least get a Guardian Other Lives obit or some kind of Mail Online spread... famous last words... I've probably just doomed her as a pick now. :rolleyes:

My assumption was always on a Guardian obituary rather than a "breaking news" Sun splash. We shall see. Very sorry to lose her, some of her final tweets were quiet poetic in a way. Still, points.