Windsor

Bird Flu

Avian flu H5N1 confirmed in Turkey?

Let's hope it doesn't spread to the stuffing and roast potatoes...

How many people has this flu killed in total?

Fair point, HoS. Unless it mutates into the human variant and, indeed, a contagious variant at that, it's pretty much just going to mean a rise in the price of chicken wherever it hits. Fine by me, I'm a veggie.

But, it has happened before and there's just no way of knowing when it will make the leap.

All that said, I'm not particularly worried. I'll worry when they're wheeling barrows down my street shouting "bring out your dead". :D;):P:D:P;)

They claim that the Spannish flu outbreak of 1918 originated from birds and that killed 20-50million.

Or so they claim.

According to Wikipedia, the 1918 - 1919 Spanish flu Pandemic killed between 25million and 50 million people worldwide.

Spanish Flu Pandemic

Although already incredibly wealthy, I will instruct my broker and recommend to all members to do the same, to buy Roche Holdings and GlaxoSmithKline shares immediately.

Nothing like a pandemic to make the bank manager happy.

Fair point, HoS. Unless it mutates into the human variant and, indeed, a contagious variant at that, it's pretty much just going to mean a rise in the price of chicken wherever it hits. Fine by me, I'm a veggie.

But, it has happened before and there's just no way of knowing when it will make the leap.

All that said, I'm not particularly worried. I'll worry when they're wheeling barrows down my street shouting "bring out your dead".  :lol:  :pop:  :dead:    :lol:  :P  :skull:

Fair comment but bird flu has to be pretty low down on the scale. It will make the leap but so will those deer that hang around the roadside. West Nile Virus will hit our shores, first, I believe. Look how many the bog standard flu virus kills a year. MRSA? Look at the rise of chlamydia cases in horny Britons. How many Brits contract malaria from foreign holidays etc etc... How much money do Glaxo make from all this paranoia? They must laughing their way to the Bentley dealers! ;)

Far more important things to worry about, like Biggs' ticker... ;)

Now in Greece. Getting closer.... :P (looks a bit birdlike)

Estimates of 50,000+ Britains to be killed by the virus if we don't repent... It's about time the British Isles saw a cull. :P

I don't think it's possible, I say it's all speculation.

It is possible, but don't you think it is a bit convenient that there is all this media speculation 11 weeks before Xmas? Expect the price of turkeys to go through the roof in the next few weeks.

It is possible, but don't you think it is a bit convenient that there is all this media speculation 11 weeks before Xmas? Expect the price of turkeys to go through the roof in the next few weeks.

Are you saying Bernard Matthews is behind all this?

Are you saying Bernard Matthews is behind all this?

I wouldn't put it past him! This article appeared in our local paper yesterday, perhaps trying to make the public panic buy? Thankfully I'll be having venison.

Estimates of 50,000+ Britains to be killed by the virus if we don't repent... It's about time the British Isles saw a cull.

I agree, we need a cull. It'll free up some house stock and bring the prices down. The old and weak have all the good houses. Bastards.

Why don't we collect a few birds of every concievable species, from chicken to swallow*. We keep them in sanctuary and then kill every last bird thats left behind. The chinese did this back in the 1950s or something when they had trouble with birds. The people were instructed to make noises and kept the birds in the air, untill in the end, they all died and fell to earth.

*the exception are pidgeons, we should kill everyone of those bastards!

The people were instructed to make noises and kept the birds in the air, until in the end, they all died and fell to earth.

I once did this to a Bluebottle. Everytime it landed, i made it fly again. It lasted 10 minutes before having a heart attack in mid-air. Better this than study.

The people were instructed to make noises and kept the birds in the air, until in the end, they all died and fell to earth.

I once did this to a Bluebottle. Everytime it landed, i made it fly again. It lasted 10 minutes before having a heart attack in mid-air.

Probably just ran out of fuel.

Better this than study.

Slightly cruel, but fascinating research.

regards,

Hein

I think that there are less birds around these days, particularly starlings and swallows. More Magpies though...

Not Homing Pigeons surely, after all they did in various wars and conflicts.

Okay then, not Homing Pidgeons, or Wood Pidgeons for that matter, but the town centre gathering kind can disappear overnight for all I care. They're a bloody menace!

Not Homing Pigeons surely, after all they did in various wars and conflicts.

Okay then, not Homing Pidgeons, or Wood Pidgeons for that matter, but the town centre gathering kind can disappear overnight for all I care. They're a bloody menace!

You are right about that. They are a major nuisance in my community as well.

There's no "d" in "pigeon" :)

(But there is a "d" in "widgeon")

Bird Flu arrives in Britain,

in the form of a dead parrot. Or was it resting.

Apparently not a Norwegian blue.

regards,

Hein