Windsor

Bird Flu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4365956.stm

This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e

rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the

bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!! B)

I may be wrong (as usual), but shouldn't this post be in the 'bird flu' thread?

[Yes. Merged - Teddy]

Bird Flu arrives in Britain,

in the form of a dead parrot. Or was it resting.

The irony here is the Python-esque way the whole thing is being treated. This virus has killed 60 people, worldwide, since 2003.

Time to build an aviary...

Bird Flu arrives in Britain,

in the form of a dead parrot. Or was it resting.

The irony here is the Python-esque way the whole thing is being treated. This virus has killed 60 people, worldwide, since 2003.

Time to build an aviary...

I understand they are still building roads ...and cars.

I understand they are still building roads ...and cars.

Living here in the 6th dimension plays havoc with the depth perception... I thought your species were all 2ft tall, red points, with reflective clothing?

birdflucomic19ul.jpg

Dear Bird lovers. I am new to the DL but would the inclusion of Orville and perhaps the growth at the end of its rear (I think his name is Keith) be considered to the list?

Dear Bird lovers. I am new to the DL but would the inclusion of Orville and perhaps the growth at the end of its rear (I think his name is Keith) be considered to the list?

Unlikely as Harris' health is sound... unfortunately.

Maybe the first bird - human case could sort that little problem out?

Maybe the first bird - human case could sort that little problem out?

It would be great but the only thing Harris would receive is nylon burns and perhaps some nasty pricking from a giant safety pin...

It would be great but the only thing Harris would receive is nylon burns and perhaps some nasty pricking from a giant safety pin...

I hear he quite likes that

Guest roxy
The fact that one bird in Finland has bird flu means nothing. There's no chance a seagull can have contracted it as it won't have been in SE Asia any time recently. More likely that the unfortunate non-famous seagull had something similat to bird flu, which is actually quite common amongst birds everywhere.

As for the chance of any DL candidates snuffing because of bird flu, they are quite slim in the short term at least. Only about sixty people from around a billion in Asia have died so far and they worked in direct contact with birds in conditions more unsanitory than our feather friends in the northern hemisphere. Additionally there's no evidence yet that bird flu has become transmissable between humans.

hi everyone,

It has been seen that the bird flu H5N1 strain is the one which is transmitted from avians to humans.. Though these instances are rare but if it does happen then the virus can spread from human to human too.

One needs to stock anti-flu drugs such as tamiflu and relenza to protect ourselves from the deadly virus.

I searched the web and found that a few sites such as http://www.rocheusa.com/products/tamiflu and

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-TAMIFLU.aspx etc etc

which offer quick and prompt delivery of the drugs in very short notice..

How reliable are these stores.. any ideas ?

60 deaths worldwide since 2003 versus 12,000 deaths, annually, in Britain from ordinary flu?

Sorry but I'm just not going to start panicking... infact with this information leak there's probably something else brewing in the news that they need to take attention away from... like we're gearing up to follow the Americans into Iran. B)

I'll take my chances crossing the M25 in rush hour. I'm more likely to spend a day backwards and forwards surviving that, than contract H5N1. :lol:

It has been seen that the bird flu H5N1 strain is the one which is transmitted from avians to humans.. Though these instances are rare but if it does happen then the virus can spread from human to human too.

From the fact that one may catch it from birds doesn't follow that one may catch it from humans. As far as I know not a single case of human-human transfer of H5N1 has been recorded. That doesn't mean that it can't happen, but nothing suggests it can.

One needs to stock anti-flu drugs such as tamiflu and relenza to protect ourselves from the deadly virus.

No, one doesn't. One's chemist does, and his suppliers. Besides: anti-viral drugs do not protect from catching a virus. They help fighting it once caught.

regards,

Hein

I passed a dead bird on the way to work today, do you suppose I should report it?

B)

I passed a dead bird on the way to work today, do you suppose I should report it?

B)

Dunno. Was it more than an inch high?

regards,

Hein

It was lying on the pavement on its back with its legs in the air. It was only recently deceased with no signs of guts etc.

I suppose it may have been hit by a firework or something.

It was lying on the pavement on its back with its legs in the air. It was only recently deceased with no signs of guts etc.

I suppose it may have been hit by a firework or something.

Birds die from many causes. Most dead birds I see[1] have been run over by traffic. While that suggests that they were killed by the same, that's not necessarily the case. If the dead bird didn't show an obvious cause of death, sticking it in a plastic bag in a freezer and reporting its death to veterinary authorities may be useful. If they're not interested you can alway eat it.

[1] the ones on my plate excepted

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

:lol:

I took my daughter to a farm today and let her feed the geese, chickens and turkeys. They also had parrots, owls and other such creatures.

It was strangely deserted for a Saturday. Perhaps I should have read this thread before setting out B)

I took my daughter to a farm today and let her feed the geese, chickens and turkeys. They also had parrots, owls and other such creatures.

It was strangely deserted for a Saturday. Perhaps I should have read this thread before setting out B)

I feel guilty for doing this after ranting at the pro-smiley bunch but:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D

Any goats? :D