Guest Dan

Estelle Getty

Estelle Getty was said to be declining a while ago... Now there is just silence?

There's an update on her health (well, from April) on her website. Basically to sum it up it says she has good and bad days - on her good days she's quite lucid, on bad days she just sleeps.

The quote that is of interest to us (and especially those of us foolish enough to have her as our joker...) is "There is nothing life threatening going on".

Either way, age is not on her side and I agree it does seem to have gone a bit quiet of late. However, perhaps there simply isn't anything new to report. We'll only know if she makes a public appearance or when she dies how she's doing.

I'd be betting on a bout of flu or a cold over the winter. That should do the trick.

I'd be betting on a bout of flu or a cold over the winter. That should do the trick.

What taste. Pneumonia should Getty her there. B)

Not to be outdone by Tammy Faye, there's a new note about Estelle Getty.

Seems to be doing alright for the moment. Probably won't be a DDP or RDP hit for me this round.

there's a new note about Estelle Getty.

Seems to be doing alright for the moment. Probably won't be a DDP or RDP hit for me this round.

Hmm, I can't say I'm getting any positive vibes from that posting. It all sounds a bit bleak to be frank. It wouldn't surprise me if she just drifted off sometime soon.

While she's on my list, she is one of the people who I'm actively hoping I won't get points from. She's obviously not going to get better, and the recent posting makes it quite clear that is the case, but I'm not going to be upset if she hangs on a little longer.

A golden pick in my view, but might not be so close as we all think. Just forgetful and would be a bad interview. If you know what I mean. 'Say that again?' 'Who are you?' 'Is this another insurance company!!'

Hmm, I can't say I'm getting any positive vibes from that posting. It all sounds a bit bleak to be frank. It wouldn't surprise me if she just drifted off sometime soon.

I kind of fit in between the two schools of thought here. The crucial part for me is that she spends most of the day sleeping.. but in a chair. At least she obviously has something in her to get out of bed & into a chair in the first place, and having lost & (seen the deteration of) a much loved Grandma to dementia, having some gumption, or not being resistent to being moved, is a minor victory.

I suspect as long as she stays healthy, she'll last a little while yet. It's really only when there's other complications that there might be further problems.

Isn't that Hospital-speak for "dead"?

No it's hospital speak for ' 2 months and she needs diapers' ;)

I think it's a kind way of saying "Not well. Can we change the subject please?" We all know she's going downhill and I'd hope for a hit in the next couple months, but not counting on it. Dementia is tough to predict unless you're looking at someone with it occasionally and have seen enough of dementia over the years.

Estelle Getty dead at 84 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelle_Getty

heard of her before but never seen her in anything.. :)

And an AP link for those of us who distrust Wiki. FYI, catch 'Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot' for an idea of her genius.

D'oh - forgot she was a pick...someone move this, please?

Estelle Getty dead at 84 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelle_Getty

heard of her before but never seen her in anything.. :)

And an AP link for those of us who distrust Wiki. FYI, catch 'Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot' for an idea of her genius.

D'oh - forgot she was a pick...someone move this, please?

My mom was a big fan of The Golden Girls (the TV series Estelle Getty starred in). I vaguely remembered the show when I watched it alongside my mom during the 80s. I was probably 3 years old though and had no damn clue what the show was about. but my mom loved the show.

Estelle Getty was ill for quite some time. dunno why I neglected to include her on my list. Anyway, a big RIP to her.

Silence is golden?

My 7th hit of the year.

Thank you Estelle - always loved your work. :)

Isn't that Hospital-speak for "dead"?

Yess she is dead. Today she has crossed over to the next side and is now pacing back and forth waiting for Bea Arthur to arrive. Saw Bea the other day on some show, she looks old When I first saw a Golden Girl was dead Bea Arthur was the first in my mind then Betty White. This one with Estelle Getty really surprised me.

I can't believe her son called her "one of the greatest comediennes of all time". I know there's family pride but that's absurd. Golden Girls wasn't THAT funny.

I will try & update it asap (bit difficult this week, mind) but on the DDP front - couple of big hitters score again & TMIB - I think - equals the all-time record of hits in a year with 12.

I can't believe her son called her "one of the greatest comediennes of all time". I know there's family pride but that's absurd. Golden Girls wasn't THAT funny.

I will try & update it asap (bit difficult this week, mind) but on the DDP front - couple of big hitters score again & TMIB - I think - equals the all-time record of hits in a year with 12.

Yeah, especially when the next sentence in the BBC report is this

Apart from the Golden Girls, Getty's credits included films like Mannequin and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot

I'll confess to having thought the Golden Girls very funny, even if it was the same round of jokes every week. Re watching it it's still quite funny (give me the Golden Girls over The Mighty Boosh any day of the week) but the acting is really sh*t.

Bad week for the Getty family. First, middle of the pack actor Balthazar Getty is pictured on holiday with Skank of the Year contender Sienna Miller, despite the fact he's married with two kids, and now his great grandma Estelle kicks the bucket.

Yeah, especially when the next sentence in the BBC report is this

Apart from the Golden Girls, Getty's credits included films like Mannequin and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot

I'll confess to having thought the Golden Girls very funny, even if it was the same round of jokes every week. Re watching it it's still quite funny (give me the Golden Girls over The Mighty Boosh any day of the week) but the acting is really sh*t.

Agreed, My wife enjoys it, but I only ever watched one episode and apart from Bea Arthur who always looked like a man in drag, Estelle Getty I found was highly annoying. The acting in Golden Girls was incredibly wooden.

[Agreed, My wife enjoys it, but I only ever watched one episode and apart from Bea Arthur who always looked like a man in drag, Estelle Getty I found was highly annoying. The acting in Golden Girls was incredibly wooden.

To save time on everyone's maudlin reminiscing on this sad day, here's the plot of every Golden Girls episode:

The Betty White or Estelle Getty character does something batty.

The Bea Arthur character or the Rue McLanahan character says something sarcastic and rolls her eyes.

One of the girls has a love interest who drops dead by the closing credits.

Fin.

To save time on everyone's maudlin reminiscing on this sad day, here's the plot of every Golden Girls episode:

The Betty White or Estelle Getty character does something batty.

The Bea Arthur character or the Rue McLanahan character says something sarcastic and rolls her eyes.

One of the girls has a love interest who drops dead by the closing credits.

Fin.

Excellent review - but I thought that was just the *funny* ones.

The unfunny ones mainly centered round (mainly) Estelle Getty's character, along the lines of 'I'm old, I'm crazy ha ha ha". :crossbone: "Loved on seven continents" my arse. :crossbone:

! Or My Mom Will Shoot[/b]

..give me the Golden Girls over The Mighty Boosh any day of the week...

Who was that comparison aimed at? I caught a glimpse of the Golden Girls - AND NO MORE!!! It was appalling. I have not watched the Might Boosh due to it clahsing with licencing hours. I will give it a go, then decide if you're making any sense. At the moment, I cannot thin of anything direr that the Golden Girls (with the obvious exception of "Last of teh Summer Wine".

If (and I hope you are not), Handreika, you are in your dotage, then I take it all back....although, in that case, there'd be no point. :crossbone: