Guest Dan

Estelle Getty

Sad news. Bea Arthur was my favourite Golden Girl, and I remember being hilarious on So Graham Norton as well.

Betty White is definitely going on my list for 2010...

I bet Blanche goes first...

Looking at their IMDb's, both Betty White and Rue McClanahan are still active so I think they'll go on for a bit. However, White will most likely die first due to age. (White's 87 compared to McLanahan's 75)

Looking at their IMDb's, both Betty White and Rue McLanahan are still active so I think they'll go on for a bit. However, White will most likely die first due to age. (White's 87 compared to McLanahan's 75)

True, but McLanahan has battled breast cancer, I don't know of any health issues with White. Then again I didn't know Arthur had cancer.

I know Bea Arthur wasn't exactly the most attractive woman that ever lived, but they sure as hell used an unflattering photo of her

_45702311_007224631-1.jpg

I know Bea Arthur wasn't exactly the most attractive woman that ever lived, but they sure as hell used an unflattering photo of her

I was thinking that, they should have used one from her Golden Girls years...

Is it just me, or is she trying to conceal two chunks of Toblerone?

Anyway, this will really put the kibosh on Justin Lee Collins' "Bring Back The Golden Girls", if he was planning it. Which he probably wasn't.

Is it just me, or is she trying to conceal two chunks of Toblerone?

Anyway, this will really put the kibosh on Justin Lee Collins' "Bring Back The Golden Girls", if he was planning it. Which he probably wasn't.

I think it was the final "public" photo of Bea Arthur. Shades of Bette Davis in her final days in that picture, but then again maybe cancer does that.

Here's a more flattering one since you asked so nicely.

beaarthur1.jpg

Here's a more flattering one since you asked so nicely.

beaarthur1.jpg

hot? I'd say she would be pretty cold and stiff by now.

Some very tasteful memorabilia available on ebay. Bid now and forever hold her piece...

Golden Girl Rue McClanahan is in hospital suffering from an "acute cardiac illness."

This update from Yahoo News (always such a reliable source...*coughs*) states that Rue McClanahan's recovery from a stroke following heart surgery mentioned above isn't going necessarily well as there are still complications of the physical and speech side of things. Okay, I know it takes time to recover from strokes, especially as one gets older, but methinks the one-woman show scheduled for this year probably won't go ahead and is wondering why the news of the stroke only seems to have been announced now. One to watch?

Golden Girl Rue McClanahan is in hospital suffering from an "acute cardiac illness."

This update from Yahoo News (always such a reliable source...*coughs*) states that Rue McClanahan's recovery from a stroke following heart surgery mentioned above isn't going necessarily well as there are still complications of the physical and speech side of things. ... One to watch?

Probably God's judgment on Earth for the brazen harlot. Her fame and wealth, begat largely from the promotion of promiscuity among those in their golden years, has come back to bite her in the well-used behind. As we all know, He abhors a slut and His divine will be done. If you believe in that sort of thing. Amen.

This update from Yahoo News (always such a reliable source...*coughs*) states that Rue McClanahan's recovery from a stroke following heart surgery mentioned above isn't going necessarily well as there are still complications of the physical and speech side of things. Okay, I know it takes time to recover from strokes, especially as one gets older, but methinks the one-woman show scheduled for this year probably won't go ahead and is wondering why the news of the stroke only seems to have been announced now. One to watch?

Could this be the third Golden Girl gone in consecutive years?

Betty White must be dreading 2011!

As we all know, He abhors a slut and His divine will be done. If you believe in that sort of thing. Amen.

So:

IF (One believes in that sort of thing) THEN (His divine will be done)

Therefore:

IF (NOT (One believes in that sort of thing)) THEN (NOT (His divine will be done))

The existence of God is not well-established, but let's for the sake of argument assume that He does exist. There are several people who do, as well as several who don't believe that sort of thing, therefore:

God's divine will will both done and not done

which is clearly a contradiction.

Interesting theology, that.

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

regards,

Hein

The existence of God is not well-established, but let's for the sake of argument assume that He does exist.

A legendary tale (legendary as it was written on the wall of the loo at my student appartment) tried to shed light on theological matters like these in a scientific - not so much logical - way. I agree: it's not about God's existence, but it's too good a story not to mention.

The following is an actual question given on a McGill University chemistry mid-term Exam paper:

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with a proof

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyles Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that most people and their souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyles Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities.

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Celine LeBlanc during my Freshman year - that "it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you" - and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.

The student got the only A!

A legendary tale (legendary as it was written on the wall of the loo at my student appartment) tried to shed light on theological matters like these in a scientific - not so much logical - way. I agree: it's not about God's existence, but it's too good a story not to mention.

Ah, now that we're on the subject of theological thermodynamics, I'd like to add the following (from 'http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm'):

HEAVEN IS HOTTER THAN HELL

The temperature of heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is the Bible, Isaiah 30:26 reads, Moreover, the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold as the light of seven days. Thus, heaven receives from the moon as much radiation as the earth does from the sun, and in addition seven times seven (forty nine) times as much as the earth does from the sun, or fifty times in all. The light we receive from the moon is one ten-thousandth of the light we receive from the sun, so we can ignore that. With these data we can compute the temperature of heaven: The radiation falling on heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation. In other words, heaven loses fifty times as much heat as the earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation

(H/E)4 = 50

where E is the absolute temperature of the earth, 300°K (273+27). This gives H the absolute temperature of heaven, as 798° absolute (525°C).

The exact temperature of hell cannot be computed but it must be less than 444.6°C, the temperature at which brimstone or sulfur changes from a liquid to a gas. Revelations 21:8: But the fearful and unbelieving... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone [sulfur] means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, which is 444.6°C. (Above that point, it would be a vapor, not a lake.)

We have then, temperature of heaven, 525°C (977°F). Temperature of hell, less than 445°F). Therefore heaven is hotter than hell.

regards,

Hein

My brain has just imploded. Hope you're happy.

How old is she?

Looking at the hundreds of thousands of sources of information on the internet at my fingertips seem to conclude she is 75.