Guest Dan

Former First Ladies

With a stomach virus... She's getting too much protein [alledgedly]

Mr Honez is a highly literate individual. (Allegedly)

You are Notapotato [Allegedly]

Had to be done, I'm just surprised it took so long...

phead.jpg

• Like 1

The British equivalent of "former first ladies" is "Wives of former prime ministers". I have been unable to find out whether Lady Wilson (widow of Harold) or Audrey (Lady) Callaghan are still with us, but I did hear last year that Clarissa, Lady Avon is. She was the second wife of Sir Anthony Eden who was PM from 1955-57, so she must be getting on a bit. I believe she was a niece of Sir Winston Churchill.

I don't know anything about the spouses of Harold MacMillan (1957-63) or Alec Douglas-Home (1963-64). Edward Heath never married.

Not sure that any of these ladies would pass the famousness test though.

Had to be done, I'm just surprised it took so long...

phead.jpg

He looks just like my uncle Oscar!!

Guest Advisor

I am very suprised that ladybird is not on this years list. Shes like 92 or 93 and her husband is gone for more then 30 years. Iam not positive but i bealive shes had a stroke and not in the best of health iam exstremely dissapointed in the deathlist commity that she could not be part of the 1-50 faimly.If it were up to me i would have entered her in the top 20. Why someone like for exsample

Diego Maradona is on this list i dont know yes hes had some health problums but i would bet on ladybird over him. The point ladybird was a missed opertunity.

I agree wholeheartedly. Why Betty Ford is on this list and not Lady Bird Johnson simply puzzles me. Mrs. Ford seemed healthy at Ronald Reagan's funeral (in contrast to her husband). Mrs. Johnson was the only ex-first lady not present for the funeral. She has not made any public apperances for a few years and the only news on her is when she is hospitalized. She should have been in the top 10 for 2005.

Guest Guest

Speaking of Ronnie, what's the latest on his ex Jane Wyman?

Guest Death List Observer

Former first lady Lady Bird Johnson, widow of President Lyndon Johnson, who will turn 93 on December 12, should be placed on the 2006 Death List. Though she has largely disappeared from the public eye in recent years, there is still the occasional news story of a collapse or a stroke. Certainly if most of the news regarding Mrs. Johnson pertains to her poor health, she should be placed on next year's list.

Former first lady Lady Bird Johnson, widow of President Lyndon Johnson, who will turn 93 on December 12, should be placed on the 2006 Death List.

Is that you Weatherman? :(

Guest Guest

I suspect before the decade is out, we will see the deaths of Lady Bird Johnson, Betty Ford, and Nancy Reagan. All three are in their 80s and 90s and Johnson and Reagan appear to be in poor health. I did see in an earlier post where Queen Mother Bush turns 80 this year and suppossedly has cancer in her family tree? So if that's true, you could have 4 deaths. Does anyone know the health status of Rosalynn Carter?

Rosalynn Carter is in remarkable health for a woman of nearly 78 years. She has made many recent public appearances and remains active in the Carter Center and efforts for mental health issues. She certainly appears to be getting on better than her husband, former president Jimmy. Without the slightest doubt, I can say that Rosalynn Carter will be with us for many years to come. Her mother did not die until 1997. I believe that the former first ladies to keep an eye on are Lady Bird Johnson, Nancy Reagan -- and, before decade's end, we will most likely see Barbara Bush and Betty Ford begin to deteriorate, but not necessarily die.

It is isn't it.

By jove, you could be right.

Come out W90, we know you're there!

Ok ok, Im here!

And finally someone who agrees that Lady Bird needs to be on the '06 list...

Guest funeral director

But will Lady Bird make it long enough to be on the '06 list? Thoughts anyone?

Someone wrote in about Rosalynn Carter's mother living until a few years ago. I checked up and the mothers of the 2 most recent first ladies Clinton and Bush II are still living. Dorothy Howell Rodham b. 1921 (Hillary Rodham Clinton) and Jenna Welch, date of birth unknown (Laura Bush), she is in her upper eighties. Both should be considered potential deaths in the next few ytears, but not nessecarily for the 2006 list. Aside from the elder Bushes the only living presidential parent (or closest thing to it) is Richard "Dick" Kelley, the stepfather of former president Bill Clinton. I checked up on him and he is living in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Kelley, the fourth husband (and widower) of Clinton's mother Virginia Clinton Kelley is 91 or 92. I don't know what his health status is.

Fine to have former First Ladies on the DL, Betty has been listed before, but mothers of First Ladies I don't think would really pass the test.

World famous only in America, perhaps. :unsure:

Guest LilMimi

I am assuming that Mrs. Johnson will probably not last till 2006. According to the news, she has had a couple of strokes, heart trouble, and a recent bout with bronchitis. Her failure to attend public events like the Reagan funeral and Clinton Library opening only fuel this theory. But you never know though, she has outlvied her successor Pat Nixon and could outlive others like Betty and Nancy or even Barbara and Rosalynn.

Guest Guest

Can anyone please explain why Lady Bird was NOT on the 2005 list? I would have definitely considered her before Betty Ford!

Personally I think Lady Bird Johnsonshould be excluded for simply having the most bloody stupid name in the world. Ever.

Personally I think Lady Bird Johnsonshould be excluded for simply having the most bloody stupid name in the world. Ever.

Present company excluded of course VileBody.

Guest billy joe

I have been told by people in circles of the Texas Democratic Party that Lady Bird Johnson is declining seriously. She is reportedly blind and confined to bed or a wheeclahir. Her recent bout with respiratory bronchitis has made her bad heart weaker and it is believed that she won't last but a few more months at the most.

While Lady Bird Johnson is obviously nearing the end of her life, I believe that hers may be the only death of a First Lady this decade. Although Nancy Reagan (b. 1921) is getting on in years, she continues to make public appearances, appears well, and shows no indication of decline. Barbara Bush and Rosalynn Carter will probably begin experiencing health problems by decade's end, but, in all likelihood, nothing more.

I believe that former presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter are serious contenders, as well, for 2006. Ford is on the current list, and Carter, 80, appears even more frail than Ford, 91, and the first President Bush, 81. Carter's family was known for its mortality due to cancer - his mother, the longest-lived person in his immediate family, died of the disease at the age of 85 in the 1980s. The first President Bush may not have long to go either, but I believe that placing him on the 2006 list would be a bit premature.

I believe that former presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter are serious contenders, as well, for 2006.

| believe Jimmy Carter did not travel to attend the Pope's funeral. Is this an indication of declining health?

| believe Jimmy Carter did not travel to attend the Pope's funeral.  Is this an indication of declining health?

Yes, I think a funeral is usually a fairly good barometer of the state someone's health.

• Like 1