maryportfuncity

Fats Domino

On 10/22/2017 at 02:13, Life Is Beautiful said:

If this is a recent picture (and it looks like it), he will be the second rock legend to reach 90, and unlike Berry, he might surpass it.

5751c3835f95a.image.jpg

Am afraid this goes down in the great pantheon of Deathlist Forum predictions alongside Death Impends on Abe Vigoda, Sir Creep on Howard Marks and Jenny Diski, etc etc...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Am afraid this goes down in the great pantheon of Deathlist Forum predictions alongside Death Impends on Abe Vigoda, Sir Creep on Howard Marks and Jenny Diski, etc etc...

etc....and msc's predition that The USA and Syria will qualify to the World Cup.

• Like 1

Who would have thought that a black man nicknamed "Fats" who had a hit number in the 40's will live until late October 2017?

He was without a doubt not only a musical icon, but a cultural icon, the man most responsible for shattering racial barriers between whites and blacks by playing and being accepted by white audiences during a time where African American were still lynched and hanging from the highest trees for looking at a white woman. RIP.

Ladies and gentlemen, once again, Mr. Fats Domino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQCPrwKzdo

7 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

etc....and msc's predition that The USA and Syria will qualify to the World Cup.

Certainly, though one finds it bad manners to promote one's own posts as legendary. B)

Anyhow, RIP Fats. Remarkable that an already aged man said to be "extremely frail" at the time of Hurricane Katarina survived not only the storm, but practically three whole Presidential terms since.

• Like 1

RIP Fats. You will be missed. 

20 hits truly seems to be in reach this year.

On 10/21/2017 at 20:13, Life Is Beautiful said:

If this is a recent picture (and it looks like it), he will be the second rock legend to reach 90, and unlike Berry, he might surpass it.

5751c3835f95a.image.jpg

Eerie that this was taken just days before his death. You just never know. I suspect he died of a heart attack.

Anyways, RIP Fats.

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Ironically you post that on a thread I predicted the man's death within 2 days.   
I had Diski on my lists....so not sure where that is coming from.  I scored points all around.  
Two very odd remarks, imho.

SC

• Like 1

Me when I'm browsing the Guardian front page: WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?

This was truly a surprise for me. RIP Fats!

Fats Domino posing with some fans.

Once asked if he got to meet The Beatles when they were in New Orleans, Fats Domino replied, "No, they got to meet me."

1964-the-beatles-meet-fats-domino-493997d79fb5cbd9.jpg

• Haha 1

R.I.P. Fats Domino. Takk for alt! Thoughts and prayers from Norway to your family.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

R.I.P. Fats Domino. Takk for alt! Thoughts and prayers from Norway ....

I didn't know he spoke Norwayish....

Just now, TheKestrelofDoom said:

I didn't know he spoke Norwayish....

He was in Norway several times! Popular here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Ironically you post that on a thread I predicted the man's death within 2 days.   
I had Diski on my lists....so not sure where that is coming from.  I scored points all around.  
Two very odd remarks, imho.

SC

Couldn't mind it if were Diski or Marks. A search reveals:

On 2/6/2016 at 11:54, Sir Creep said:

If Howard Marks dies this year of the affliction complained of, I'll buy each of you a Curly-Wulry candy bar.

SC

But it brings only a wry smile from memory, that's all, and yes, a good shout on Mr Domino.

Fats your lot.... 

For me, he's one of those people I had down as "died years ago" as his heyday was so long ago....  and I was most surprised to hear he was still kicking, up until today that is. 

And when they say Fats was 'surrounded by his friends and family', they mean it took ALL his friends and family to surround him.
SC

• Haha 2

Another legend gone. I'm more convinced than ever we'll get to 20 by the end of the year now !

• Like 1

RIP, Fats. My 16th hit on my shadow list and one of the few great musicians who have become so old.

• Like 2