Harvester Of Souls

Jacques Chirac

Information on Chirac has been gloriously vague in the last few years. Is it just faking it or really ill? Probably half-way in between - http://www.sudouest.fr/2013/08/04/la-solitude-de-chirac-1132370-880.php

Relevant bits here;

Although weak, the former president spent the summer in Correze, where he received the visit of Francois Hollande. Like most visitors to Jacques Chirac, he (Hollande) met a man physically reduced, who finds walking more difficult, and his deafness worsens. But a man iwho is ntellectually alert, as long as the conversation does not drag, and on top of current events, although as often with the elderly, there is some gaps in the memory.

The article mentions that Chirac still attends his "office" every day, could go to Morocco again (he apparently goes to a hotel there quite often, so is clearly fit to fly and mentions that he has discussed politics, nationally and internationally with Hollande. So in summary, he's slowly going downhill like anyone of his age might be expected to, and is not doing as well as, say, Giscard d'Estaing, for example, but the above doesn't strike me as someone who is on death's door just yet.

Looking frail in rare public appearance: http://www.france24....appearence_quai

It was very thoughtful of him to make this appearance just as the Committee starts to consider the names for DeathList 2014.

Based on those photos what he most looks is blurry, not sure if that is terminal.

He says he's 'not in a fit state' to stand trial on corruption charges.

He was probably in no fit state to be President of France either but that didn't stop him...

Grin.

This made me think: perhaps it's a nice addition to the constitution to automatically put a president/prime minister/chancellor/whatever to trial after he or she leaves office, to check whether they did what they swore to do when they took it.

regards,

Hein

A friend of mine once suggested it be a binding business contract; ie, they have been elected on the understanding that they will fulfil certain promises. If they fail to do so, they are not paid for their time in office and can, in fact, be sued for breach of contract.

Looking through this thread you certainly get the picture that he is going in and out of hospitals

• Like 1

Looking through this thread you certainly get the picture that he is going in and out of hospitals

Hmm, Jimmy Savile used to do that...

• Like 2

Though, of course, we only notice when he's in bad health, not when he's fine. I think he's got a couple of years left. He's not that bad as a pick though, if they aim to introduce him and then build him up over the next 2-3 years.

Chirac is a decent pick for this year. I've excluded him from my own personal list though in favour of Jean-Marie Le Pen who I regard as being that bit more likely to die this year

Almost incomprehensible translation job from Google. :blink:

Deathlist picked the wrong Chirac.

• Like 1

So I guess this pick is as horrible as picking Zsa Zsa last year

Deathlist doesn't usually go in for the "Fringes of Fame/Family of the Famous" type of candidate.

Besides, as the article says, she was not well-known even in France, where many people didn't even know she existed.

Very sad.

Peu connue des Français – beaucoup considèrent même que Chirac n'a qu'une fille, Claude.

Laurence.. That's a blokes name.

Has he had a sex change but kept the name ?

Maybe Laurence is the French version of Leslie?

Maybe Laurence is the French version of Leslie?

No. Laurence is the feminine form of Laurent.

The English versions are the other way round. Lauren and Laurence. Laurence is to my ears the more feminine sounding - compare Florence.

Note that Chirac's other daughter is named Claude - a unisex name in France.

• Like 1

Deathlist doesn't usually go in for the "Fringes of Fame/Family of the Famous" type of candidate.

Besides, as the article says, she was not well-known even in France, where many people didn't even know she existed.

Very sad.

Dude -- OCD much? It's called a sense of humour, look into it.

SC

Very sad.

Dude -- OCD much? It's called a sense of humour, look into it.

SC

There was a joke there?

Anyway, CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ©time

Come to think of it, it may well be called CDO in French. pondering-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Deleted