Death Watch Beatle

Derby Dead Pool 2004

Congratulations to the DL team - Estee Lauder's demise puts daylight between you and the chasing pack. Quality will out.

DWB :D

Well we're clearly gonna have to start clearing out a space at DeathList HQ for the Derby Dead Pool trophy :D

I just happen to glance at the DDP leaderboard and what do I see? DeathList in THIRD!!!

The team in second place has chosen two of the oldest people in the world in order to pull a point on us, and the team at the top have overtaken due to the death of Barney Kessel, an 80 year old jazz guitarist - nice!

Fear not though - both the teams above have played their joker (come on Ronnie Biggs!) and the moral lead is ours as we are the only two team to have picked 3 losers.

We are still in with the lead pack, but we do need a selfless act by a member of the team soon or we could start losing touch.

DWB :(

Sadly the pack have reeled us in on DDP - with jokers and unique picks coming up trumps for our competitors.

I would point out that Tom Hurndall wouldnt have counted under DeathList rules - surely only famous for the fact he was about to die. Also Joan Riudavets Moll clearly not allowed in DeathList - weve had the oldest man in the world debate before.

So on balance I reckon the DeathList squad is putting in a good show - but Ronnie Biggs would be nice a boost for our team. Isnt it about time his NHS budget ran out??

Evening all.

Just to clarify, the DDP rule on what constitutes 'famous' states that the person in question must get an obit in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website when they shake a seven. Not a perfect definition, but it does at least avoid accusations of subjectivity. The flip side of this is that we get people picking obscure lords and ex-military types on the basis that the Times or the Torygraph are almost guaranteed to give them an obit.

Incidentally, the lead may be about to change hands again, as Lesley Ball, wife of squeaky-voiced '66 World Cup hero/football manager/pundit Alan, died of cancer on Saturday, but so far only a couple of local papers have printed her obit, so we're holding fire on awarding the points. If the Beeb or one of the nationals pick up on it, the top 2 teams will swap places, and you lot will remain in 3rd. It's still all to play for! :(

Thanks for that Rude Kid and welcome to the DL forum :(

My posting was by no means a criticism of the DDP rules - frankly they are very clear. I was just trying to make a few excuses for our fall from the top of the leaderboard :D

The British newpaper obituary rule is a great rule and has been considered for adoption here several times.

Heres hoping Lesley Ball's obituary stays just in those local rags ;)

Keep up the good work

GR

Guest Guest

To avoid accusations of Brit-bias, maybe some other-landy newspapers, etc., should be nominated ?

Thanks for the welcome, GR. I'm just enjoying catching up on some of the threads from your forum - who'd have thought Alex Higgins of all people could arouse such passions from passing ranters? :(

To avoid accusations of Brit-bias, maybe some other-landy newspapers, etc., should be nominated ?

Problem with that is we'd end up with loads of really obscure picks, and it'd be too difficult to keep an eye out for obits, especially in foreign-language newspapers. In any case, there aren't many (any?) other UK-based dead pools out there, so it's nice to fill a niche. That said, we have a fair few international entries this year, and the top 2 places on our leaderboard are currently occupied by Americans.

While I agree an obituary in an English or other newspaper is a fair standard from an objective point of view, the fact is the majority of the old codgers who get a write-up in, for example, the Torygraph, are people none of us have ever heard of. Think about it - there's usually two or three obits every day, whereas I'd reckon a person with a name everyone recognizes only dies once a week on average. Take today's list for example - who out there can honestly say they'd heard of Major-General David Tabor (who apparently secured a bridge on D-Day. Whoop-de-do, who didn't? Besides the French.), Anthony Babington (some lawyer who became a stipendary magistrate, whatever that is) and Peter Moody (an investment manager from the 1970's.....zzzzzzz.......)

The Derby Dead Pool's a good site, and we should be proud of our own beloved DeathList for its strong showing, even more so given we stick to the honorable Elysian traditions of nominating people whose death is actually of interest, not just some statistical inevitability.

Welcome on board RK - nice logo. Harkens back to when Viz was still funny, circa 1987....

Yes, the Torygraph, and to a lesser extent the Guardian, are the flies in our ointment, as they seem to publish obits of just about any old Joe, so long as someone sends one in, the person had done something vaguely interesting at some point in his/her life, and they've got space for it. We may have to consider excluding said publications next year. That or send them an obit of a completely fictitious person and see if they print it. :(

Bad news is we've slipped further behind in DerbyDeadPool - Our sneaky competitors have been chalking up points with regular deaths of 180 year olds :o

Oh well - quality will shine through - trust me :unsure:

wow, looks like we're up against a real pro in "Otis, You want a Treat?" So far he's claimed successes with Tom Hurndall (never heard of him, had been in a coma since April '03 after being unluckily shot in the head in Gaza), Bareny Kessel (never heard of him, some jazz guitarist. One of these days all the old jazz dudes will have died off, but until then we should be sure to pick one every year) and Jack Rosenthal (never heard of him, but probably should have - he created London's Burning and was married to Maureen Lipman).

Otis is clearly the Porto of the Derby Dead Pool. Not a very attractive style of play, a squad of relative unknowns, and keeps killing off the game as the successes mount up. We're more like Real Madrid, with our star-studded team of ghoulacticos, struggling after some early season success. Still, we get way better press coverage... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04151/323618.stm

Otis's research is certainly impressive - all the more so because he's American, so I wouldn't have thought that '70s British politicians and soap scriptwriters are obvious choices for him. Last year's competition was a one-horse race from about March onwards, and he ended up with 7 hits and 43 points, equalling the best score ever in the DDP. Google his name and you'll find that he plays, and does well in, a fair few other deadpools as well.

Brando's departure has pushed us down another place - we are now 4th by my reckoning. The title is slipping away - we need action (or inaction) fast!

DWB :D

It looks that way DWB - Im sure Rude Kid will lets us have the bad news in due course.

It looks to me like the DL Derby Dead Pool team is going to boil down to whether Ronnie Biggs catches his train for us or not. :D

Yep, I'm afraid you're down to 4th, due to TiM r's strategy of picking people who are famous only for being old! :D Am just about to go out, but will update the site tomorrow or Sunday.

Cartier-Bresson is a unique pick for the DL (so we get back the point we lost for him being ancient). So by the DWB ready-reckoner, we are equal second, and right back in the title race!

DWB :huh:

Congrats folks. Assuming Fay Wray gets a UK obit (have just checked, and can't find anything yet), then you go top. Still got your joker (Biggs) to come as well, whereas most of the other challengers have lost theirs!

Exciting news - I think we may have taken the lead in the DDP thanks to Fay Wray. Also very interesting is the fact that on the London local TV News tonight was a ten minute piece on whether we should release Ronnie Biggs from stir in order to die at home. This could be an unbeatable trump card for the DL team, being the joker an' all.

DWB :rolleyes:

Hurrah!! :rolleyes:

What chance of us tempting Otis into here for a bit of premature taunting??

Well, it looks Fay Wray got Deathlist.net back at the no. 1 spot in the Derby Death Pool.

It's a shame Red Adair wasn't included. :rolleyes:

regards,

Hein

Im sure this is the time to say "Better more dead than Red" or something...

Cheers Hein

Assuming Fay Wray gets a UK obit (have just checked, and can't find anything yet), then you go top.

I can't imagine that she wouldn't. Virginia Grey (silent movie actress I've never heard of) got a big obit in The Independent on Saturday. Not even Levin's corpse will keep Fay out of the newspapers tomorrow.