Sign in to follow this  
football_fan

September 11th

Today is the 4th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attack on the World Trade Centre in New York City and the Pentagon Building in Washington, DC. Approximately 3000 people lost their lives on that fateful day. The victims came from all races, religions, classes and political persuasions. What I remember was that I was in the United States on that day and even though I was not in New York City, it still affected me deeply. It also seems to have had a profound effect on the justice system and the way of life in the Western world.

Remind me again what happened...

Remind me again what happened...

:lol:

Four years ago today?

What happened to September 11th in 2002, 2003 and 2004.... :lol:

I don't feel like exsplaining the whole thing but here's a photo of the man who is mainly responsible for the tragedy.

osamaouttatime3ya.th.jpg

9/11 wasn't all bad news though, there was a big upside for the security industry.

Terrorism in general is always good for my line of business.

Nothing like a bit of fear to motivate the customers into parting with their dosh.

At one stage during the non-stop news coverage "Hammas and Islamic Jihad have denied any involvement" crawled across the bottom of the screen. I was quite surprised at their reaction when Dave the failed policeman and I rang to deny any involvement.

We were only trying to help... :lol:

Guest cenobite

I wonder if George bush has a small wooden puzzle box in the white house?

The box, you opened it, we came

(Pinhead, Hellraiser)

At one stage during the non-stop news coverage "Hammas and Islamic Jihad have denied any involvement" crawled across the bottom of the screen.  I was quite surprised at their reaction when Dave the failed policeman and I rang to deny any involvement.

We were only trying to help... :lol:

I saw the first footage of the happenings some six hours after they happened. That was on a TV in the corner of the place where I grabbed a bite on my way to the chess club. I thought it was some goofy SF flick, so I finished my meal and spent the first 5 minutes of conversation at the club in confusion.

regards,

Hein

Four years ago today?

What happened to September 11th in 2002, 2003 and 2004.... :lol:

Well, 4 years before 2002, 2003 & 2004, nothing important happened ;)

Actually, I'd completely forgotten the date's significance. Not even the news on TV mentioned it.

Guest Mr Magoo

On the first aniversary, I was watching on Fox News the recitation of the names of all the people who died in the trade centre, one by one the names were read out,

John Bishop, John Bridges etc etc

When they got to the surname "Burns" at about the third one in someone cut the sound feed, it appeared fox news didn't think it too clever to have someone standing at ground zero reading out:

Mark Burns

Lucy Burns

Tony Burns etc

The joke was that the Fox News presenter brushed it off as a technical fault. The sound feed mystereously returned once the reader was into the "C's"

Nobby Burns

Oh yes this has all been quite UN-amusing and the barbs of who should be blamed are also uncalled for. Having been in New York that day and having lost 2 very dear people I find no reason to use this as a political platform or a place to try out distasteful jokes.

Who was responsible? What does it even matter since Walter is gone and his wife and young daughters are left alone. Roger is gone and his family is still attempting to pull themselves back together, his son no longer has canoe trips with his loving dad, he won't see his grandchildren being born and growing up.

But go on make your little ha-ha half witted jokes and point at the political figure you choose to accuse and check your fact books and realize many others were also involved and that the anger and hatred focussed that day was not based all on or at one particular political leader.

Guest Bubbles

ooh thats a bugger isn't it.

Oh yes this has all been quite UN-amusing and the barbs of who should be blamed are also uncalled for.  Having been in New York that day and having lost 2 very dear people I find no reason to use this as a political platform or a place to try out distasteful jokes…

I agree with you BrunoBrimley. The point that I was trying to make was that it was people going about their daily lives that were victims on that fateful day. What I also wanted to emphasize was that this despicable and cowardly act affected people from all, races, religions, classes and political persuasions. So I was also appalled at some who tried to use this as a political platform or a place to try distasteful jokes. :rip:

Oh yes this has all been quite UN-amusing and the barbs of who should be blamed are also uncalled for. Having been in New York that day and having lost 2 very dear people I find no reason to use this as a political platform or a place to try out distasteful jokes.

Who was responsible? What does it even matter since Walter is gone and his wife and young daughters are left alone. Roger is gone and his family is still attempting to pull themselves back together, his son no longer has canoe trips with his loving dad, he won't see his grandchildren being born and growing up.

But go on make your little ha-ha half witted jokes and point at the political figure you choose to accuse and check your fact books and realize many others were also involved and that the anger and hatred focussed that day was not based all on or at one particular political leader.

Wow, your profile says that you have over 400 posts, but yet you're acting like someone on their first visit here.

So I was also appalled at some who tried to use this as a political platform or a place to try distasteful jokes. :lol:

Deathlist? Distasteful jokes? Well I never... tsk. :rip:

Oh yes this has all been quite UN-amusing and the barbs of who should be blamed are also uncalled for.  Having been in New York that day and having lost 2 very dear people I find no reason to use this as a political platform or a place to try out distasteful jokes…

I agree with you BrunoBrimley. The point that I was trying to make was that it was people going about their daily lives that were victims on that fateful day. What I also wanted to emphasize was that this despicable and cowardly act affected people from all, races, religions, classes and political persuasions. So I was also appalled at some who tried to use this as a political platform or a place to try distasteful jokes. :rip:

Oooh the irony...

A tragedy-yes. A massive failure by the Security Services of the U.S. government-yes. Put into the shade by all the innocent people killed by the U.S. over the years-yes.

Guest Guest
Oh yes this has all been quite UN-amusing and the barbs of who should be blamed are also uncalled for.  Having been in New York that day and having lost 2 very dear people I find no reason to use this as a political platform or a place to try out distasteful jokes. 

Physican heal thyself.

A tragedy-yes. A massive failure by the Security Services of the U.S. government-yes. Put into the shade by all the innocent people killed by the U.S. over the years-yes.

Can't quite find it in myself to disagree with you on this topic, Millwall32.

Physician heal thyself

Unregistered guest: Screw thyself (preferably into the nearest lightbulb socket while standing in a bucket of water.)

As to EEJIT....if you want to trade barbs take a look at yourself.... here longer than I and yet to sound like anything other than a flaming a....le. How many posts I have is not a reason for me to suddenly become an emotionless twit, if that is how you subscribe to life then by all means go for it. I myself need to have reactions, if you don't then ... well see my advice to the unregistered guest.

Football Fan....Point taken. I think it was the alleged humor which really got my goat, I do get emotional on this matter.... for good reason.

I hate to spoil a good Spart-ish rant but when exactly has the US deliberately set out to kill over 3,000 non-combatants to make a "political" point? I agree that US/UK intervention has indirectly led to plenty of civilian deaths but I think "putting 9/11 in the shade" is wildly over-stating the case.

Do you really believe that there is a moral equivalence between Bush and Bin-Laden? Or perhaps between a tube-bomber in London and the officer who shot the Brazilian chap in error? You must have a very strange outlook on life if so...

According to this,

Indonesia's foreign minister at the time, later conceded in public that between 50,000 and 80,000 Timorese civilians were killed in the first eighteen months of the occupation. These civilians were killed with American weapons, which Kissinger contrived to supply over Congressional protests, and their murders were covered up by American diplomacy, and the rapid rate of their murder was something that had been urged in so many words by an American Secretary of State.

Near enough, if it is true.

I hate to spoil a good Spart-ish rant but when exactly has the US deliberately set out to kill over 3,000 non-combatants to make a "political" point?  .

I should think that in Vietnam over a period of several years, the Yanks probably shot many more than 3000 innocent civilians maybe not to make a political point, but even worse, just for the sheer fun of it!

Without getting too political, thousands of Native South American Indians were wiped out in the 60s and 70s with American help. Why? All that McDonalds beef has got to come from somewhere.