Death Watch Beatle

Victoria Gotti

OK folks, it's research time again.

I read an article about Victoria Gotti, daughter of gangster boss John Gotti. She has had various ailments along the way, but is now claiming breast cancer - although she is a bit of a drama queen and this diagnosis has now been downgraded to pre-cancerous cells or something.

Anyway, here is here Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Gotti

However, the question is: "Is Victoria Gotti famous enough in her own right?"

I understand she has (did have?) her own TV series in the States "Growing Up Gotti" but I haven't heard of it being shown in blighty (Sky perhaps?) So, do DL'ers think if her health did go critical, she qualify for the list?

DWB ;)

She has a famous (notorious) father. She's not famous in her own right - if you'd asked me out of context 'Who is Victoria Gotti?' I would have probably replied 'don't know - is she related to that mafia chappy?'

To sum up - a relation of someone who's a bit famous has got some cells which might develop into cancer - and breast cancer (when caught early) has quite a good long-term survival rate.

So, no, not on the list at the moment due to not being ill enough, and not in the future due to not being famous enough.

So there!

Rick, I completely agree with not being on the list due to illness, it was just posted as a watching brief, nothing more.

Specifically though, does someone who has their own TV show in the USA, possess the qualifications to pass the DL famousity test?

Just testing the opinions on the subject really.

DWB ;)

Victoria_gotti.jpg

Looks like a typical 'mommas apple pie' yank. Do her collars and cuffs match?

Maybe 4 beers.

Victoria_gotti.jpg

Looks like a typical 'mommas apple pie' yank. Do her collars and cuffs match?

Maybe 4 beers.

Only 4?

Very generous I thought!

DWB ;)

Only 4?

Very generous I thought!

DWB  ;)

At my age one can't waste time waiting for the beer goggles to be fully effective. Strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak.

Edited by Josco to correct stupid spelling error!

Guest IYG

Only 4?

Very generous I thought!

DWB  ;)

At my age one can't waste time waiting for the beer googles to be fully effective. Strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak.

Google makes beer now? Wow those boys are advanced.

Google makes beer now? Wow those boys are advanced.

Did you know the name Google derives from "go ogle", which is what most people do when they're on the web?

It's true.

Did you know the name Google derives from "go ogle", which is what most people do when they're on the web?

Wow! That is the most useful thing I have ever ever read on this site. ;)

Wow! That is the most useful thing I have ever ever read on this site. :D

... and Lycos derives from "I didn't lie, cos I saw in on the Internet"

Honest. ;)

Wow! That is the most useful thing I have ever ever read on this site. ;)

Yes, but I think it's the only useful thing I've seen on this site. :D

The show was on the telly here recently. Absolute arse. I'm not one who believes television has a duty to edify, inform and entertain but certainly, it shouldn't make you more stupid. ;)

Guest Joker

Dunno about her health but i've seen that the series is going to be on the Biography channel this thursday in the UK

the 'is she famous enough' debate is an interesting one. it is only a satellite show, after all. but now that there is such a proliferation of media, then how much exposure does one have to have to be famous? after all, fame doesn't equate with worth. look at it this way - when i was a kid i used to watch this is your life, and the ones that were people who'd achieved things of worth were boring, whereas the idiots who appeared on tv and film were interesting. sure that makes me facile, but the same is true of most of the human race (and i woul like to point out that it's the zealots and intellectuals who start wars, not the shallow ones - we're too busy collecting old ITC series on dvd to bother with that). tv is not there to inform, enlighten or even entertain - it's there to make broadcasters money. and nearly always has been, public service broadcasting being in the minority almost everywhere except here and - i think - france.

so fame just means getting enough exposure. question is, how much is 'enough' now that we have four hundred channels instead of four? the fact that people posted replies suggests that it's enough. may be that should be a rule of thumb - if it gets more than four DL'ers who recognise the name, it qualifies?

she has a famous dad, and now her own show. sounds like any showbiz dynasty...

but how come the USA gets the Gottis, and we get Dave Courtney?

the 'is she famous enough' debate is an interesting one. it is only a satellite show, after all. but now that there is such a proliferation of media, then how much exposure does one have to have to be famous? after all, fame doesn't equate with worth. look at it this way - when i was a kid i used to watch this is your life, and the ones that were people who'd achieved things of worth were boring, whereas the idiots who appeared on tv and film were interesting. sure that makes me facile, but the same is true of most of the human race (and i woul like to point out that it's the zealots and intellectuals who start wars, not the shallow ones - we're too busy collecting old ITC series on dvd to bother with that). tv is not there to inform, enlighten or even entertain - it's there to make broadcasters money. and nearly always has been, public service broadcasting being in the minority almost everywhere except here and - i think - france.

so fame just means getting enough exposure. question is, how much is 'enough' now that we have four hundred channels instead of four? the fact that people posted replies suggests that it's enough. may be that should be a rule of thumb - if it gets more than four DL'ers who recognise the name, it qualifies?

she has a famous dad, and now her own show. sounds like any showbiz dynasty...

but how come the USA gets the Gottis, and we get Dave Courtney?

Some good points there. An obituary in the English broadsheets seems to be a general consensus

Who's Dave Courtney?

jovial dave is a celeb villain who got off a murder charge, sort of manages punk band the business, and used to be a baliff. he does speaking tours, books, dvds, and fronts shows about villains.

charming...

however, he's the sort of minor-leaguer who gets celeb crim fame in the uk. the point being, i guess, that the really good criminals are those that are never caught.

unlike mr gotti...

Perhaps the place to discuss all things Gotti related?

Not helped by the fact that this dame is named after her mother, but anyway, the new film Gotti with John Travolta as Gotti and Kelly Preston as his missus seems to have been roundly panned. This Victoria is played by Ashley Drew Fisher, whoever that may be.

I understand Kelly Preston sat down with Victoria Senior who is still going.

No word on the health of Vicky Junior...so I'm guessing she's ok. She's guilty by association on many counts, not least having been on Celebrity Apprentice in the US. And we all know what the main man from that show is doing now...