themaninblack

Deathlist Voting

With 3 months or so to go before the list for 2006 is published, I want to know what the procedure is for compiling the list.

Is it an internal discussion between the keepers of the Deathlist flame or is the voting open to all comers. like John Peel's old Festive Fifty, leaving some poor sod with the responsibility of counting the votes?

Incidentally, I think there's some TV potential with the Deathlist, it would blow 20 stone of S**t (whatever it's called) and the like out of the water!

So far as I know it is all sewn up by the mods although throughout the forum there have been a number of different methods of selction suggested.

Voting on those on DL might mean that a number of unpopular names (Saville and the like) keep coming up and not dying while obscure names with a good chance of dying (Byron Nelson etc) die without giving DL a success.

That is true, rational deduction is the key and I'm the king of rational deduction.

Lets see......er...Blair! He's bound to go, someone will have the balls to kill him off sooner or later....

Is that objective enough? :ghost3:

Incidentally, I think there's some TV potential with the Deathlist, it would blow 20 stone of S**t (whatever it's called) and the like out of the water!

I like the idea of a TV show, but killjoy groups like Christian Voice might object.

If it goes ahead I'd like to suggest Ant & Dec as hosts

Right enough but when was the last time God posted?

God speaks on DL

Surely one of the Deathlisters have are or going to work in Television.

Lets pitch it guys & gals... ;)

Surely one of the Deathlisters have are or going to work in Television.

Lets pitch it guys & gals... ;)

Nearest I get to the telly is when I've got the remote in my hand

That's interesting because when I watch TV, I have something in my hand as well.......

That's interesting because when I watch TV, I have something in my hand as well.......

Late night freeview channels by any chance?

My mug of tea of course!

I've looked through some of the old lists.

Wilfred Bramble: didn't you folks know he had died? Now that would have been remarkable ;)

Each year's DeathList is ultimately compiled by a secret but flexible committee (well OK, its whoever turns up to the pub the night the list is being finalised). However, since the launch of the forums, suggestions posted are taken into account and there is some discussion amongst the Mods, whose opinions are, of course, highly valued.

As for voting, there's clearly no place for that in compiling the DeathList - Democracy can stay in Iraq, where the people cant get enough of it, and Germany, where the people can give a clear indication as to who they want in power ;)

I've looked through some of the old lists.

Wilfred Bramble: didn't you folks know he had died? Now that would have been remarkable  ;)

Well maninblack - I have to admit that research for the DeathList was way tougher back in those pre-internet days of 1989.

You're, of course, right that Wilfrid Brambell (correct spelling) died several years before being selected for the 1989 list. Probably helps explain why we only had 3 successes that year ;)

God speaks on DL

And only 11 posts so far, how disappointing - what's he doing with all his time?

Being omnipresent ought to be a big advantage on DL.

Being omnipresent ought to be a big advantage on DL.

Omniscience would make predicting celebrity deaths much easier too.

regards,

Hein

Well maninblack - I have to admit that research for the DeathList was way tougher back in those pre-internet days of 1989.

You're, of course, right that Wilfrid Brambell (correct spelling) died several years before being selected for the 1989 list. Probably helps explain why we only had 3 successes that year 

Thats very true. We live in the information age and I can see how the results have improved.

At the years end I'll put up my own list on who's going to snuff it in '06 for your consideration....

First of all: I like the current DeathList selection process. The somewhat mysterious DLCC does a fine job and the surprise of who's on it is part of the entertainment value of each new year's list.

There's another point that, with some hesitation, I'd like to raise. Yesterday a Dutch actor, Joop Doderer, died. His death was widely reported in Dutch media, but understandably ignored abroad.

My point is this: the famousness test holds that a candidate's death must be reported in UK media to count as a hit. I've known about Doderer's poor health for some time and would have suggested him if he would pass. I didn't post his death in the "Near misses" topic for the same reason. I'm not questioning the famousness test, but it seems to me some hit potential is wasted with the current unwritten rules.

Just out of curiosity: has a DL candidate ever been not counted because s/he failed the test?

regards,

Hein