themaninblack

Alan Bennett

Alan Bennett has admitted he has been treated for cancer. Will he make the anniversary of '40 Years On', forty years on?

• Like 1

I'm too young to remember the original, when is the anniversary?

I'm too young to remember the original, when is the anniversary?

help me in my ignorance i dont no who he is

Playwrite and professional Northern pooftah, me dear. Wrote The Madness of George III and a series of TV one-person shows which were very good. Presumably there's a Wiki entry which I can't quite be bothered to find. Maybe you could find it during your "free"...

I don't think he sounds very terminal in the short term. The cancer's in remission according to his article in the DT on Saturday so I'd keep him on hold for a few years yet.

Professional Northern Pooftah, you mean he gets some kind of government grant simply because he' s Northern and - er - a rear gunner?

Could I then get a similar grant for being a belligerent northern pig of the old school? I mean, they preserve old cinemas and the like. I was thinking maybe I could lean on a stick, wait for tourists to wander by and say stuff like: 'It were all fields round here when I were a lad.'

Professional Northern Pooftah, you mean he gets some kind of government grant simply because he' s Northern and - er - a rear gunner?

Could I then get a similar grant for being a belligerent northern pig of the old school? I mean, they preserve old cinemas and the like. I was thinking maybe I could lean on a stick, wait for tourists to wander by and say stuff like: 'It were all fields round here when I were a lad.'

Probably - try the English Tourist Board. My grandfather got himself preserved by Welsh Heritage as a coal mine.

I could have sworn Alan Bennet died several years ago. Who could I be confusing him with?

I could have sworn Alan Bennet died several years ago. Who could I be confusing him with?

David Hockney? (Looks a bit similar but he's not dead either)

Dennis Potter of "The Singing Detective" fame?

DWB :huh:

Possibly the most well-known and well-loved monologuist of his generation. From 'Beyond The Fringe' the satirical review that changed the face of modern comedy to his hugely successful 'Talking Heads' which drew enormous TV audiences, despite their bleak subject matter.

You'll be the Pete Doherty fan then...?

Dennis Potter of "The Singing Detective" fame?

DWB

Yes, that's it! Thanks DWB I'll sleep better tonight. :huh:

Dennis Potter

How refreshing. We finally get to discuss a writer who is dead.

Arnold Bennet?

Just to drag this thread back to Alan Bennet-I don't think he is in any serious problem (excuse the bad wording). It would have received greater media coverage otherwise.

I think alll the latest stuff is because The History Boys is being made into a film and he's also published a book his mother's treatment for depression. I think he's fine, given age and subject to returning cancer risk.

Alan Bennett seems in fine fettle. I look forward to seeing his new film. He says he's writing a story. I reckon that's going to rule him out for next year at least. But he seems less optimistic in the last few pars about another play, says they're three to four year intervals. I hope he's good for another - brilliant talent. I'm removing him from my dying room for next year and couldn't be more pleased.

Bennett interview

Alan Bennett Week on BBC Four from 6-10th December, including several old Talking Heads monologues and some new monologues from the auld poof himself - 12 programmes in all. I don't think this is a sign of impending death, though John Mortimer did croak after his BBC Four week was scheduled.

There's some stuff on BBC2 as well. And if Alan decides to make a record with Tinchy Stryder or Jay Sean, the video will no doubt be shown on BBC3.

Jonathan Miller is complaining that people assume he's dead.

Somebody should introduce him to the joy of Dead Pooling. He is on my game list so all my players know he is alive and will be suitable informed if he was to die.

Was on Front Row last night talking about the new play he has directed for Northern Broadsides. First in five years.

Alan Bennett's house in Camden is up for sale. Probably means nothing but he's lived there an awfully long time so maybe something's up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alan Bennett was on Marr earlier.  Pictured. Sounded... old, tbh, but rather more rattly old than he did promoting stuff a year ago.

alan bennett july 2018.png

Alan Bennett reveals he had 'surprise' open-heart surgery last year.   https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/alan-bennett-reveals-he-had-surprise-open-heart-surgery-last-year/ar-BBYySXz?ocid=spartanntp

• Like 1

Happy 86th Birthday for yesterday. :party:

• Like 1