Death Watch Beatle

Ideas and Possibilities for 2006

But Godot never comes

Far too many pages here. But I would offer up Alan Bennett (cancer in 2005), one out of these five: Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Christopher Lee, Michael Caine and Roger Moore; Soap stars: Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden)? Not that old at 79 but all those years with Stan Ogden must have worn her down. What about an astronaut? Chuck Yeager (flyer not astronaut) is still going. John Glenn might be an outside bet. I think Norman Wisdom could well survive Ken Dodd. Ronnie Corbet, however, could be a good canidate now that Ronnie Barker has gone.

A jazz trio for 2006: Acker Bilk, Humphrey Lyttelton and George Melly

I could probably talk about most of those candidates, but I won't. Suffice to say, I've given up on waiting for Chuck Yeager to die, which doesn't mean anything to DL, but he seems fairly healthy. Christopher Lee seems to have the stamina of a 60 year old. As for Ken Dodd, I get the same sort of eerie feeling with him as I did with Wendie Jo Sperber which means, now that I've told everyone that, he probably won't die next year. :referee:

...But I would offer up Alan Bennett (cancer in 2005), one out of these five: Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Christopher Lee, Michael Caine and Roger Moore...

Hmmm...

Bennet is a strong candidate, but he hasn't given up yet and the guy seems kind of psyched none the less, but sure thing on the :referee:

Tony Curtis is defintiely looking a bit on the frail side, I'd definitely expect to see him on the list.

Charlton Heston? Yeah. Yeah, he's looking a little on the dodgy side and I don't think the man will ever recover from the expose he had with 'Bowling for Columbine'.

Chistopher Lee? Not sure, that guy's really going for it. I'm pretty sure that he's still got a couple more films in him and seeing how long they take over that and the amount of money George Lucas will have spent to keep the guy ticking over, he's probably got the best health care money can buy. On top of that, he's pretty fit for his age...

Michael Caine; nah. Sean Connery is more likely to go first and I can't see either of them going in a hurry.

Roger Moore - another one with some money and health care, but to be honest I think you might be on to something there, especially since the guy is more of a playboy and knows it.

Saddam? Not a chance. That guy's going to be taking the U.S. court system to court before they've finished with him. They'll be keeping him alive so that he can 'pay for his crimes'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4480052.stm

What about Sir John Mortimer?

He was in the paper today (Scottish Daily Mail, p55) looking fairly frail and feable.

Two ladies worth considering,

Lena Horne 89 in '06

Celeste Holm 87 in '06

They have been mentioned briefly before in this thread,

but as DeathList always seems to have fewer ladies listed, I thought I'd bring them to the fore again.

Guest Youth in Asia

What about that soldier from the 1WW who is the only one still alive who fought in 1914. Isn't he about 108? I wouldn't mind betting he doesn't have many years left in him.

On the other hand I can't remember his name, so he's probably not that famous. Although he's been in the papers alot recently so perhaps he's just a late developer in the fame stakes.

And Vaclav Havel looks a bit peaky these days - he's been tipped for Czeching out of this life for almost as many years as he has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize - but still no luck on either count. :blink:

What about that soldier from the 1WW who is the only one still alive who fought in 1914. Isn't he about 108? I wouldn't mind betting he doesn't have many years left in him.

On the other hand I can't remember his name, so he's probably not that famous. Although he's been in the papers alot recently so perhaps he's just a late developer in the fame stakes.

And Vaclav Havel looks a bit peaky these days - he's been tipped for Czeching out of this life for almost as many years as he has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize - but still no luck on either count. :blink:

Henry Allingham I believe is whom you are referring to, and he is 109, going on to supercentenarian.

Not that I'm advocating him, but out of pure curiosity, would he pass the DL fame test? I'm not a Brit, but I've heard of him, so I'd imagine he's fairly famous over there.

We don't allow him on the grounds that he is only famous for his age (I believe).

Millions fought in the first world war and he is only stands out because he is the oldest Brit veteran and oldest British man.

No-one had heard of Henry Allingham up to a few weeks ago, apart from his mum and his mates. As for Teodoro Obiang Nquema Mbasoqo, he's not as well known as Hilda Ogden in this part of the world. Does leading a country mean that you're famous?

That said it's good to have some Equitorial Guineans. I'm a sad enough bastard to have signed up here but not so sad that I've done my homework on all the threads, but from what I have seen it seems a bit light on Nobel prizewinners, business leaders and management gurus. Peter Drucker who died a couple of weeks ago was a bad miss. Joseph Juran (big in Japan) can't be far off, nor can Ronald Coase, the economist.

I'm amazed that someone else has heard of Ronald Coase. He will be 95 this month so can't have long left. However, being an economist and therefore inevitably unknown to the general public (Milton Friedman and J.K. Galbraith are exceptions rather than the rule), there's no way he would pass the "fame" test for the DL.

Yorkshiremen (and women), deserve a thread of their own. Also there are quite a lot who are approaching that time. Even Parkinson, the doyen of the lot, can't be that far off now. Geoff Boycott has had cancer I believe. Fred Trueman has gone quiet. Stan Barstow and Alan Silllitoe are just aboutb written up and Keith Waterhouse soon will be. Dickie Bird has simply lost it. Mollie Sugden has taken Thora Hird's mantle as next in line.

http://ayup.co.uk/laugh/laugh0.html

Have done enough for a while. Time that Godot pissed off again for a while. Sorry, but I had jobs to do and this was the only way of avoiding them.

"Due to his well-documented recent illness, Chris Rea has decided that his 2006 European tour will be his last."

.. i can't help wondering if this final tour is wise .. could be good for DL though

would be good for everybody.

Here are the ages of those you have mentioned:

Molly Sugden: 83

Keith Waterhouse: 76

Fred Trueman: 74

Dickie Bird: 72

Parky: 70

Geoff Boycott: 65

I would say only Molly Sugden is old enough to be a truly serious contender.

BTW, Alan Sillitoe was apparently born in Nottingham and is therefore no Yorkshireman! :o

Welcome to the Deathlist Godot.

It seems you enjoy creating thread after thread but I think

it would be appropriate to have this thread merged to

the "Ideas And Possiblilitys For 2006"

[merged HCW]

Everyone in my classes are shallow, money-loving, superficial f*ckers who don't give a sh*t about anything except money.

Hello shallow, money-loving, superficial f*cker who doesn't give a sh*t about anything except money. :lol:

Personally, I'm planning on focusing on my other major: Middle Eastern studies.

Maybe in a few years I can give you the skinny on who's ill in the Middle East.  :o

Oh, that's OK, then. :P

regards,

Hein

Guest Johnnysaf

Surely Ma Thatcher's worth a mention. Would make it a hat trick of UK PM's and is apparently never off the bottle these days..... ;)

Hadn't realised Sillitoe was a Midlander. Boycott is definitely worth watching. Age isn't everything. I wasn't suggesting Parkinson as a contender or Dickie Bird just for now, but who would have thought Brian Glover would go when he did. Come to think of it Brian Blessed could be an outsider. Maybe there should be an obesity factor introduced. If you give these people points, you could take off points for smoking/lifestyle/drinking/obseity. That way people like Johnny Vegas come into the frame at a relatively tender age. Are there any actuaries on the site?

I can't back down on Drucker Candian Paul. He was huge. Er, and I'm not from the US although if I was I might be nominating Alan Greenspan (nothing to do anymore) and Rober Morgenthau (New York DA).

Rober Morgenthau (New York DA).

From what I can tell Morgenthau is already dead. .... .. Hasn't done anything in a long while at least

"World at One" radio presenter Nick Clarke has been diagnosed with cancer. He's "expected to make a full recovery" but you never know....

I saw a very poor looking Stirling Moss in Shepherd market the other week. He was almost bent double, certainly not the young hyperactive 76-yr-old mentioned on his web site. Could be worth monitoring

http://www.stirlingmoss.com/

Eric Hobsbawm is another tip. He's just about written up. Here's another, much younger but quiet, as far as I can see, for at least four years, the very readable but slightly creepy occult writer Colin Wilson. Colin come on down.