Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

Plus the problem is not with "who started" the war, but with "who behaved live a war criminal?"

The answer's fairly obvious...

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

I may be missing something, but didn't Argentina start the war? What was Maggie expected to do - sit at home twiddling her thumbs and send over some blankets in case the Argies got cold at night on South Georgia?

In Argentina, we believe the islands are ours (just look at a map, will you?). Plus the problem is not with "who started" the war, but with "who behaved live a war criminal?"

I have some sympathy with you here Dia. Had Argentina been patient I think it might have waited forever persuaded the UK to come to the negotiating table on that. Instead it used brute force. That wasn't healthy for the democratic process, nor was it healthy for people in Argentina who had to put up with tin pot militaristic dictators who just wanted to shove unwilling conscripts in to uniform. At least those people are gone now (including, sadly, some of those same conscripts).

I wish there was a way of ridding this ridiculously expensive and worthless piece of sheep-covered wasteland transferring these south Atlantic jewels to your corrupt, festering succession of Nazi-loving regimes wonderful country that denied our rightful claim to the World Cup with the so-called hand-of-God cheat has been a good friend to Britain in the past. I suppose it's a matter of keeping those thieving Argies from getting their hands on what's ours for as long as we draw breath diplomacy.

Plus the problem is not with "who started" the war, but with "who behaved live a war criminal?"

The answer's fairly obvious...

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

I've always found this gripe by England fans to be rather churlish. I mean It's not like he sank a boat that was

moving out of an exclusion zone and killing 300 people was it? :P

I may be missing something, but didn't Argentina start the war? What was Maggie expected to do - sit at home twiddling her thumbs and send over some blankets in case the Argies got cold at night on South Georgia?

In Argentina, we believe the islands are ours (just look at a map, will you?). Plus the problem is not with "who started" the war, but with "who behaved live a war criminal?"

What, like using hollowpoint bullets?

I may be missing something, but didn't Argentina start the war?

What, like using hollowpoint bullets?

Could we please get back on-topic, folks? This is the Marmite thread, not the Malvinas threa... ah... ok.

Godot: I agree with you (and most other people) that the decision by the junta of the time to go to war with the UK was deluded to say the least. But it was losing that war which lead to the junta being overthrown and replaced by a democracy. Argentina lost many more people to its old military regimes than to the Malvinas war.

Enough said.

I still hate Thatcher.

I've always found this gripe by England fans to be rather churlish. I mean It's not like he sank a boat that was

Sailing out of an exclusion zone? Is that like the not interfering with play whilst standing ten miles offside rule which works so well in football. There was a war on.

Fortunately Uncle Rupert was talking sense way back then:

The_Sun_Gotcha.jpg

I think the best thing to come out of the war was that enabled the people of Argentina to overthrow the hated junta, but then what was the difference between that military dictatorship and General Pinochet's, which Maggie supported?

Answers on a postcard please... :P

Sailing out of an exclusion zone? Is that like the not interfering with play whilst standing ten miles offside rule which works so well in football. There was a war on.

Fortunately Uncle Rupert was talking sense way back then:

The_Sun_Gotcha.jpg

Not the finest hour in the history of the British press, or Britain for that matter. And all she could say was "Rejoice," just as she rejoiced at what the police did to the miners. Thatcher wouldn't have recognised a political settlement if it had slapped her in the face. Major could, which is why we now have peace in Northern Ireland. She united Britain in the way that a bully unites a gang - by finding a common enemy to hate, be it the IRA, the French, the Germans, Argentina, the miners, the unemployed. She had no time for a point of view that she didn't share and if you weren't "one of us" you were de facto against us. Yet she will still go to her grave, a "great woman." Expect news flashes, expect a big funeral, expect Queen Mother-length obits. And all we shall be left with is a place for her twat of a son in the House of Lords. Now that is a travesty.

Correction: Thatcher has a life peerage so the twat of a son will be sitting outside the House of Lords which is still a travesty. He should have been locked up long ago.

Jeebus! Is she really a hereditary peer? I'd rather the peerage passes to her daughter Carole, and that really is saying something.

And all we shall be left with is a place for her twat of a son in the House of Lords. Now that is a travesty.

Not the finest hour in the history of the British press, or Britain for that matter. And all she could say was "Rejoice," just as she rejoiced at what the police did to the miners. Thatcher wouldn't have recognised a political settlement if it had slapped her in the face. Major could, which is why we now have peace in Northern Ireland. She united Britain in the way that a bully unites a gang - by finding a common enemy to hate, be it the IRA, the French, the Germans, Argentina, the miners, the unemployed. She had no time for a point of view that she didn't share and if you weren't "one of us" you were de facto against us. Yet she will still go to her grave, a "great woman." Expect news flashes, expect a big funeral, expect Queen Mother-length obits. And all we shall be left with is a place for her twat of a son in the House of Lords. Now that is a travesty.

Well said Godot. Cards on the table: I'm a Labour man (most definitely not a New Labour man) and hated Thatcher. I think John Major was a decent man and a bit underrated as PM...

I was wrong about the title. She has a life peerage. Mark got his title through his dad, I think and I don't think it entitles him to sit in the House of Lords which is a relief. He's still a twat.

I was wrong about the title. She has a life peerage. Mark got his title through his dad, I think and I don't think it entitles him to sit in the House of Lords which is a relief. He's still a twat.

Mark is a Baronet, thus not a peer. Think Dennis was the last Baronet to be created, and the first in a long time.

As for the Gotcha! headline - it's forgotten now that few of those actually made the news stands. As soon as "Admiral" Kelvin MacKenzie realised there had been a lot of deaths, he altered the headline.

Mark is a Baronet, thus not a peer. Think Dennis was the last Baronet to be created, and the first in a long time.

As for the Gotcha! headline - it's forgotten now that few of those actually made the news stands. As soon as "Admiral" Kelvin MacKenzie realised there had been a lot of deaths, he altered the headline.

I wonder how quick off the mark he was to change the infamous 'The Truth' story on the Hillsborough disaster when it was clear that it was slanderous cobblers? :P

The only place Mark 'Thicko' Thatcher deserves a seat is on the board of directors of the Black Beach Prisoners' Futile Protests Regarding Chronic Starvation And Excessive Buggery By A Psycho Committee.

I wish his mother would just die, so we could stop having to read about her in this thread. Unfortunately, I think she'll be around for many, many years to come. She should be left off next year's DL.

There is a Facebook group 'Street Party When Thatcher dies*' , I read the discussion boards on it a few days ago and naturally joined the group (eventually, after a few FB problems), there was one board that really caught my attention - 'What will she have on her gravestone?', one reply that I thought was perfect was "Licensed for Dancing", I wondered if the DL'ers could come up with something better?

*thanks to Handrejka, who found it in the first place.

tombstoneun6lp7.jpg

( Deathlist has a legal department in case

decides to sue, right?. )

Even though most if not all petitions are a crock of sh*t ignored by the powers that be, I signed anyway.

Every time I see that someone has added to this thread my heart races...

Guest baroness Thatcher

Whilst you wait, you can dance around to Thatcher's death song! Easy lyrics, "She's dead, Yahoo, Let's dance."

Thatcher's death song!

It seems they haven't made up their minds yet.

But a ceremonial Funeral seems fairly likely even if she doesn't get a state one, so we are guaranteed a bit of a ding dong either way.

In effect there is little difference between ceremonial and state funerals - with the gun carriage during a state funeral drawn by Royal Navy ratings rather than artillery horses.

Well we know which Catherine the Great would have preferred, but perhaps the Iron Lady is more the Sailor type.

There's some interesting stuff here about Thatcher's "struggle with Alzheimer's"

Losing Sir Denis to pancreatic cancer in 2003 "was truly awful" for her mother, she says, "not least because her dementia meant she kept forgetting he was dead".

"I had to keep giving her the bad news over and over again.

I can imagine some people might take a certain pleasure in imagining her suffering the horror of being told her husband is dead over and over again.

I can imagine some people might take a certain pleasure in imagining her suffering the horror of being told her husband is dead over and over again.

Some of us don't have to imagine it. In fact, if Carol Thatcher is ever too busy I think they could ring any former member of Red Wedge and find willing volunteers to break the news to Maggie, again and again.

this thread needs rising to :( the top

To keep it sort of current......Maggie The Great One is sooo on top of her game , its a joke that she even has a thread !

She has no place here......