Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

Apparently, Ding Dong the Witch is Dead has reached No.1 in the Amazon download charts, and is currently at No.6!! I'm sure I'll be able to find a link somewhere. Found one

Some people really are just sad obsessive fuck wits.

RIP to the greatest peacetime PM this country has ever seen and to a hell of a woman. Reviled and revered for the exact same reason ultimately - because she made decisions which she felt were right for this country, rather than decisions which seemed easy, the latter of which many politicians are well too guilty of.

• Like 2

I'd be about as neutral as any you'd find on poor old Maggie. There's a few things worth considering though; how progressive Britain looked by being the first old world power to have a woman running the place, and for such a long time. Apart from the odd spot in the colonies no other country has come close.

If it weren't her it would have been someone else. Britian was dying on its arse in the seventies, the

reforms brought in under her leadership have been a model for many countries and those who haven't, ie most of Europe, would regret not having made those difficult choices earlier.

Manufacturing in the western world, with a few exceptions, is fucked. Having the foresight to realise this twenty years before the rest of the world and change the focus of the economy was either visionary or blind luck. Imagine that sort of social upheaval now, would it be any worse? Probably not, but who ever instigated, or was the figurehead for similiar policies would be equally demonised.

I've had a couple of thoughts over the last day or two; firstly, if the status quo remained in Britian how many English plummers would be in Eastern Europe now undercutting the locals? And secondly, the twentieth century's 'greatest' prime minister having to do the same thing; "We shall sack them in the dock yards, we shall sack in them in the mines, we shall lay them off in the factories and in the railways..."

Rejoice? Seems a bit harsh doesn't it?

• Like 1

Apparently, Ding Dong the Witch is Dead has reached No.1 in the Amazon download charts, and is currently at No.6!! I'm sure I'll be able to find a link somewhere. Found one

Some people really are just sad obsessive fuck wits.

RIP to the greatest peacetime PM this country has ever seen and to a hell of a woman. Reviled and revered for the exact same reason ultimately - because she made decisions which she felt were right for this country, rather than decisions which seemed easy, the latter of which many politicians are well too guilty of.

The people have spoken.

I'd be about as neutral as any you'd find on poor old Maggie. There's a few things worth considering though; how progressive Britain looked by being the first old world power to have a woman running the place, and for such a long time. Apart from the odd spot in the colonies no other country has come close.

If it weren't her it would have been someone else. Britian was dying on its arse in the seventies, the

reforms brought in under her leadership have been a model for many countries and those who haven't, ie most of Europe, would regret not having made those difficult choices earlier.

Manufacturing in the western world, with a few exceptions, is fucked. Having the foresight to realise this twenty years before the rest of the world and change the focus of the economy was either visionary or blind luck. Imagine that sort of social upheaval now, would it be any worse? Probably not, but who ever instigated, or was the figurehead for similiar policies would be equally demonised.

I've had a couple of thoughts over the last day or two; firstly, if the status quo remained in Britian how many English plummers would be in Eastern Europe now undercutting the locals? And secondly, the twentieth century's 'greatest' prime minister having to do the same thing; "We shall sack them in the dock yards, we shall sack in them in the mines, we shall lay them off in the factories and in the railways..."

If manufacturing is such an irrelevance, how come China's done so well?

The blind luck was North Sea Oil, without it she would never have got away with it. Shares in utilities and council houses were sold on the cheap. Now we have nothing left in the cupboard to flog...

RIP to the greatest peacetime PM this country has ever seen[...]

Beg pardon?

HMS Ardent, HMS Sheffield, HMS Coventry...

regards,

Hein

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RIP to the greatest peacetime PM this country has ever seen[...]

Beg pardon?

HMS Ardent, HMS Sheffield, HMS Coventry...

regards,

Hein

Yeah it's funny how things seem to get forgotten, isn't it Hein.

The blind luck was North Sea Oil, without it she would never have got away with it. Shares in utilities and council houses were sold on the cheap. Now we have nothing left in the cupboard to flog...

Not sure how many Western manufacturing workers would be happy with China's rates of pay. To quote New Zealand's 'seventh most popular folk/paordy duo' The Flight of the Conchords "They're turning children into slaves just to make people sneakers, what's the real deal cos the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper, what are your overheads."

One of the reasons China's doing well I believe.

How long before the sun runs the headline .

Cruel Internet trolls organise parties to celebrate the death of our iron lady.

I thought "Thatcher Dead in Bed at Ritz" was not the most respectful headline they could have chosen.

Still, Thatcher's funeral will be a great opportunity for deadpoolers to spot the frail and not-so frail as well as noting any absentees, so keep 'em peeled...

Lord McAlpine on telly on Monday sounded distinctly frail but Shirley Williams on the radio sounded positively youthful, maybe something has happened that has given her a new lease of life. I wonder what that could be....

I have noticed a lot of names posting on this forum that I haven't seen recently.

But with both Dunn and Thatcher going within a 12 month it will be interesting to see who replaces them as the heros/villans of the deathlist.

• Like 1

Not sure how many Western manufacturing workers would be happy with China's rates of pay. To quote New Zealand's 'seventh most popular folk/paordy duo' The Flight of the Conchords "They're turning children into slaves just to make people sneakers, what's the real deal cos the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper, what are your overheads."

Of course Thatcher was all for the worker's being well paid, wasn't she?

Interesting she didn't fight the Chinese whatsoever over Hong Kong...

Power ranking the post-war PMs, not counting Churchill:

1. Attlee

2. Blair

3. MacMillan

4. Wilson

5. Heath

6. Major

7. Callaghan

8. Brown

9. Thatcher

10. Douglas-Home

11. Eden

Come at me.

• Facepalm 1

1. Attlee

2. Blair

3. MacMillan

4. Wilson

5. Heath

6. Major

7. Callaghan

8. Brown

9. Thatcher

10. Douglas-Home

11. Eden

Come at me.

As much as I disliked her I still think she should be placed above Blair on the list but Wilson should be above McMillan.

I presume D-H is above Eden because it is better to do nothing at all than have to resign because you have done it so badly.

1. Attlee

2. Blair

3. MacMillan

4. Wilson

5. Heath

6. Major

7. Callaghan

8. Brown

9. Thatcher

10. Douglas-Home

11. Eden

Come at me.

Is this your own view or is this from some study?

1. Attlee

2. Blair

3. MacMillan

4. Wilson

5. Heath

6. Major

7. Callaghan

8. Brown

9. Thatcher

10. Douglas-Home

11. Eden

Come at me.

Tony Blair and nick clegg are one in the same . Both puppy dogs to their respective master's GWB and Cameron .

I hated the b##ch but she definitely should be above Blair and if the rumours are true about Heath he should of got the reception Thatcher is getting now when he died.

Attlee i agree should be in the top 3 .

Has Rod Stewart been asked to sing at her funeral

..'Wake up Maggie' :smileyd:

Tony Blair is an A1 nob and I'd like to punch him in the face,at least Thatcher had some fucking balls,I hate that bitch,she was the first prime minister I knew and all the cunts since IMO were/are all pansies compared to her,all gutless wonderboys and that is the best thing I can say about her.

• Like 2

Why should she? It never "belonged to us" and the agreement to lease it from the Chinese was made before she was born.

Fucking hell, what is she going to be blamed for next?

We have had TWENTY THREE years of Government after her resignation, with a shit load of Labour in charge, and she is still getting blamed for absolutely everything.

The funniest thing was listening to Radio 2s Jeremy Vine show when some lickle boy ( 26 ) is going into detail as to why he was celebrating her death, like he actually remembered fuck all.

He even blamed her for the Gulf war.

Says it all really.

Here, have a cup of tea and a slice of toast..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSzPGrazPo

• Like 2

Why should she? It never "belonged to us" and the agreement to lease it from the Chinese was made before she was born.

Fucking hell, what is she going to be blamed for next?

We have had TWENTY THREE years of Government after her resignation, with a shit load of Labour in charge, and she is still getting blamed for absolutely everything.

The funniest thing was listening to Radio 2s Jeremy Vine show when some lickle boy ( 26 ) is going into detail as to why he was celebrating her death, like he actually remembered fuck all.

He even blamed her for the Gulf war.

Says it all really.

Here, have a cup of tea and a slice of toast..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSzPGrazPo

If I heard "under the last Labour government once" in the 1980s, I heard it a billion fucking times. The blame game was invented by the Tories and they're still at it (see Gideon Osbourne).

Besides, it's not that there's this little cult of no influence that can barely be heard pleading the Thatcher case before the ravenous dogs, if you took your head out of your arse for a couple of seconds you'll see that Thatcher is being praised as a peacemaker, an environmentalist and saviour of Nelson Mandela. On the BBC. The very organisation her hubby Denis thought were a bunch of pinkos and she set out to destroy. Talk about fucking over-egging the pudding.

Thatcher was a fucking cow. That's just not my point of view, it's the point of millions. Deal with it...

• Facepalm 1

Is she still dead?

Maybe she was never dead at all.

Maybe she was just pretending to be dead because Monday was the day Mark usually came to visit.

Why don't you try going up to her in the morgue and whisper "Heseltine's snuffed it" in her ear, if she's still alive she won't be able to pretend after that.

Am still trying to think of someone who is so divisive.

The only name I thought of was George W. Bush but on this side of the Atlantic I am not sure we can find the people who would sing his praises.

• Like 1

You can judge the quality of a (wo)man by their friends.

F W de Clerk and Benjimen Netahyahu to attend Thatcher's funeral.

• Like 2