Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

There are some strange people in the world

Essex man names his baby after ex-PM Margaret Thatcher

A Conservative councillor has named his baby son after the former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher because he "wanted a name that stood out".

Rob Gledhill, of Thurrock council, and his partner Abbie Maguire called the baby Thatcher Stephen Maguire, Your Thurrock first reported.

Mr Gledhill said: "We're happy with it and if he's not happy with it when he's older I'm sure he'll change it."

These people should be shot. Self satisfied egotistical pillock, change your own damn name to Maggie. (um, that's him not you phantom...).

"He can change it if he doesn't like it when he's older"? With any luck, he'll be the one that shoots you. Whilst there is all this hand wringing about Bowie going on, for all his qualities he was guilty of this too, no wonder the director of "Moon" refers to himself as Duncan Jones.

Yes it's not sexual, but I'd still call it child abuse.

• Like 1

A Conservative councillor has named his baby son after the former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher because he "wanted a name that stood out".

Rob Gledhill, of Thurrock council, and his partner Abbie Maguire called the baby Thatcher Stephen Maguire, Your Thurrock first reported.

Mr Gledhill said: "We're happy with it and if he's not happy with it when he's older I'm sure he'll change it."

These people should be shot. Self satisfied egotistical pillock, change your own damn name to Maggie. (um, that's him not you phantom...).

"He can change it if he doesn't like it when he's older"? With any luck, he'll be the one that shoots you. Whilst there is all this hand wringing about Bowie going on, for all his qualities he was guilty of this too, no wonder the director of "Moon" refers to himself as Duncan Jones.

One of my pet peeves is people using surnames as first names for their children.

To be fair, that's the name he was given. Duncan is his first name. He's registered as Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones.

• Like 1

Why is this still marked as 29?

At one time there were Fundamental Technical Reasons for that. Those Fundamental Technical Reasons have disappeared by now, but until your question nobody noticed.

• Like 1

To be fair, that's the name he was given. Duncan is his first name. He's registered as Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones.

Aye, I had an idea that may have been the case but was too lazy to check it :). Even so, that didn't stop the press and mejia banging on about Zowie Bowie.

There's more than one case of it around though, Geldof, Mr humanitarian, Mr fathers rights, yes I'm looking at you... start at home eh?

Ok, it's just a name, but it's not the parent that has to live with it. My only conclusion as to why they do it, is an ego the size of a planet. It bugs me that's all.

My mum reported that in the 1930s and 40s in certain circles the names Anton Adolf Benito were rather popular for boys.

anton-adolf-benito-vught-c-e128483185642

I suppose there are still dozens of Dutch men, some 75 to 80 years old, with the initials AAB.

Aye, I had an idea that may have been the case but was too lazy to check it :). Even so, that didn't stop the press and mejia banging on about Zowie Bowie.

There's more than one case of it around though, Geldof, Mr humanitarian, Mr fathers rights, yes I'm looking at you... start at home eh?

Ok, it's just a name, but it's not the parent that has to live with it. My only conclusion as to why they do it, is an ego the size of a planet. It bugs me that's all.

I suspect you may be pointing the finger at the wrong parent. Paula continued her crimes with Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, did she not.

• Like 1

Oh I'm absolutely certain it was mostly her, but naming is a two parent game, are you saying that bob wasn't, cough, a forthright enough man, cough, to have had an input? At the end of the day maybe its just me (and no, my name is not Sue),

Oh I'm absolutely certain it was mostly her, but naming is a two parent game, are you saying that bob wasn't, cough, a forthright enough man, cough, to have had an input? At the end of the day maybe its just me (and no, my name is not Sue),

Well, it is the woman who puts in most of the effort to produce a child, and I bet that 9/10 times she will get her way over the choice of name, especially if she times it right ;)

But I admit to having a soft spot for Bob.

Well my concern is about the child, innocent of any crime, getting lumbered with such a moniker. The fact that Paula or whomever went through the labours (pun partly intentional), of er "producing" the child doesn't in my eyes absolve them of the requirement to behave responsibly in the naming process. In my view they name them something wacky because of their own ego, which has nothing to do with the child at all, but it's the child that has to live with it.

"Oh lets call her Fifi Trixibelle".

Er no, don't.

Likewise: Zowie, Heavenly Hirana Tiger Lily, Apple, Memphis Eve, Maddox etc etc. Or indeed...Thatcher.

Well my concern is about the child, innocent of any crime, getting lumbered with such a moniker. The fact that Paula or whomever went through the labours (pun partly intentional), of er "producing" the child doesn't in my eyes absolve them of the requirement to behave responsibly in the naming process. In my view they name them something wacky because of their own ego, which has nothing to do with the child at all, but it's the child that has to live with it.

Er no, don't.

Likewise: Zowie, Heavenly Hirana Tiger Lily, Apple, Memphis Eve, Maddox etc etc. Or indeed...Thatcher.

How about Moxie Crimefighter? ;)

• Like 1

Er no, don't.

How about Moxie Crimefighter? ;)

Nah, that ones fine, I know at least 3 of them along my street alone*

*Actually I quite like Penn Jillette, but lets face it the man must have been damaged in this regard in the first place ;)

Er no, don't.

Oh, I agree completely. It was just that you were blaming Bob, when I doubt he had much say in it.

In this case the girls seem to be OK with their names, at least none of them have publicly rejected them. And Peaches continued the wackiness by naming her children Astala Dylan Willow and Phaedra Bloom Forever. Which wouldn't be too bad if the poor kids were girls. But they're boys!

• Like 1

There are lots of people out there named Jenny Taylor. :o

• Like 1

Er no, don't.

Oh, I agree completely. It was just that you were blaming Bob, when I doubt he had much say in it.

In this case the girls seem to be OK with their names, at least none of them have publicly rejected them. And Peaches continued the wackiness by naming her children Astala Dylan Willow and Phaedra Bloom Forever. Which wouldn't be too bad if the poor kids were girls. But they're boys!

Well, I do sort of blame Bob, one parent being barking simply puts more responsibility on the other (and he chose to marry her, the kids were blameless in this also). And, if he didn't have much say in it, he should have; as I alluded earlier, he's never been shy about coming forward on any other topic. But in the great scheme of things sure, he's a good guy in my view also, so we do agree on that.

As to it not bothering the kids, well, it's hard to say, names are strange things and I suppose you get sort of attached to it whatever it may be, particularly if you've had it for umpteen years before you are old enough to really think about it. Continuing the wackiness? Well it's the same with child abuse of other kinds is it not? The abuser was likely abused themselves? (and whilst that is not really a subject about which to be tongue in cheek... I just have it seems).

On 15/09/2003 at 13:04, Guest KateS said:

As an inveterate thanatologist I have been enjoying your website for a

number of years and this is the best yet! 13! well done - and the year

isn't over yet. My money's on the pope.....

For next year's list I would like to suggest Margaret Thatcher as I

believe she will not last v. long without her precious Denis. She is

already looking very frail (good thing you cannot see the smirk on my

face as I write this) so I hope she lasts until January at least.

Keep up the good work!

all the best,

Kate

little did kate know

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, xXConmanXx said:

little did kate know

So you can reply to a post that was probably made before you were conceived, but you can’t reply to DMs about your participation in the cup?

Fuck outta here with yo annoying ass

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Perhaps said:

So you can reply to a post that was probably made before you were conceived, but you can’t reply to DMs about your participation in the cup?

oH sIvEr mE tImBeRs

3 hours ago, Perhaps said:

I'm so glad our Admin Death Impends finds this all so amusing and sending out lol emojis.  Did you do anything about it, DI?  Or do we await Conman's next ultra intelligent reboot?  Props to Perhaps for saying what needed saying.

The wonderful Gillian Anderson was asked if she talked to Maggie regarding her recent role portraying her in The Crown. Answer was no, apparently.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The wonderful Gillian Anderson was asked if she talked to Maggie regarding her recent role portraying her in The Crown. Answer was no, apparently.

Can the children have milk "NO"

9 pages of activity since her death - is this a record for a solo thread?

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

9 pages of activity since her death - is this a record for a solo thread?

Philip is at around 13 pages currently.

Apparently there is no truth to the rumour that the UK energy crisis is about to be solved by hooking up the National Grid to the late Margaret spinning in her grave at Boris Johnson's lies. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1