football_fan

Maurice Papon

Convicted Nazi collaborator, Maurice Papon looked extremely frail on a French language television station today. In 1998, he was sent to prison for complicity in crimes against humanity for his role in deporting 1,690 Jews to Germany as second-in-command of Bordeaux area police during World War 2, only to be released a few years ago due to ill health. At 95, he is now suffering from a number of ailments, including heart disease and is now bedridden. It looks like he will soon be meeting his maker.

Guest IYG

I'm not sure if he is famous enough. Does being a Nazi give you instant fame?

"as second-in-command of Bordeaux area police" - I don't think that's famous enough but I'll let the experts decide.

"as second-in-command of Bordeaux area police" - I don't think that's famous enough but I'll let the experts decide.

Inar - you are one of the experts now :D

Inar, I would strongly disagree with that. After WW2, Maurice Papon became the police chief of Paris and he did get a lot of negative international publicity due to the massacre of unarmed Algerian protesters. Afterwards he was elected to the French parliament and was appointed as a Minister in the cabinet.

He was forced to resign when news of his wartime activities were publicized. His forced resignation, his trial, conviction and prison sentence were carried by all of the major international news sources. With all of those credentials and the fact that he is a reviled and controversial figure throughout the world, I would say that Maurice Papon is definitely famous enough to be considered for inclusion in the 2006 deathlist if he lives long enough.

Guest IYG

Inar - you are one of the experts now :D

Me? An expert? What you drinkin'?

I would say that Papon is famous or should that be infamous enough for Deathlist.

He is on the Dead or Alive list, the RDP and DDP.

And after his Nazi stint he did go on to become head of the Paris Police Force that in 1961 killed about 200 Algerians. A controversial and reviled figure for sure.

Definitely worth a mention with that kind of record.

Maurice Papon recently underwent treatement for heart dissease. He is increasingly frail and definitely does not look like he will last much longer.

MauricePapon.jpg

I'll bet he's cacking himself if he believes in any kind of afterlife.

What were his excuses, the one about following orders by any chance or does he have a real white supremecy thing?

Ask Channel 4!

Maurice Papon recently underwent treatement for heart dissease.  He is increasingly frail and definitely does not look like he will last much longer.

MauricePapon.jpg

I don't know the facts of his fame but to me he looks

a bit like former deathlist graduate Henri Cartier-Bresson.

The only difference is the pictures are on different angles.

http://www.deathlist.net/images/pids/72.jpg

I don't know the facts of his fame but to me he looks

a bit like former deathlist graduate Henri Cartier-Bresson.

The only difference is the pictures are on different angles.

HenriCartierBresson2.jpgMauricePapon2.jpg

Blimey, they do look alike!

Blimey, they do look alike!

Same barber?

regards,

Hein

Maurice Papon recently underwent treatement for heart dissease.  He is increasingly frail and definitely does not look like he will last much longer.

MauricePapon.jpg

I always liked Spike Milligan's line that Hitler's waiter was the only one who could truthfully say he was 'only taking orders.'

Same barber?

Perhaps Klaus Barber, the master butcher of Leigh on Sea....

Time to bump everyone's favourite French Nazi Maurice Papon to the front.

Poor Maurice hasn't been posted on for 11 months and it's his 96th birthday today.

The only news I could find featuring the cuddly old Nazi was this BBC article, poor Maurice just gets a brief passing mention.

Please let's stick him on the '07 list. Please pretty please.

Dammit, seeing this thread raised my hopes, only to be brought cruelly crashing down. :party:

I'm hoping it won't make it till 2007, but I concur with Tempus, that if anyone is making an early shortlist for 2007 that Monsieur Papon is a contender for it.

Given the nature of his worst crimes wouldn't it be a good idea if someone entered the bedridden bastard's room and - like - left the gas on?

The Spectator tried to kill him off in a book review this April.

" Maurice Papon, who had supervised deportations from the Gironde, became de Gaulle's Préfet de Police in Paris during the police riots of 1962, in which some 200 Algerians were flung into the Seine and drowned. Papon was tried and condemned for war crimes only as an old man, in the late 1990s, and died in prison. "

M Papon served less than three years of his ten-year sentence and, as we all know, is happily back at home now watching Allo Allo videos.

poor Maurice just gets a brief passing mention.

Please let's stick him on the '07 list. Please pretty please.

sorry to hear that it's a brief passing mention and not a brief mention of his passing. I think 2007 could very well be his year and would be a great pick for DL.

I know DttG posted this in the I&P thread, but if "ne parlez-vous francais" then here's the article "en anglais": ici.

Here's hoping that Doctor Goldberg is on duty... :(

I know DttG posted this in the I&P thread, but if "ne parlez-vous francais" then here's the article "en anglais": ici.

Here's hoping that Doctor Goldberg is on duty... :(

or for a Frankie Laine type complication.....

Here's hoping that Doctor Goldberg is on duty... ;)

or for a Frankie Laine type complication.....

And would it be asking too much for it to happen tomorrow? I could use the two extra points... :(

Won't be much sorrow when he does go...

Honestly I thought about Papon today, and i'm glad that I listed him. He was an obvious bet since his release from prison, and now it looks like heart failure so hopefully i'll have my first hit in the books.

Vous ne parlez pas français? Would a Canadian be teaching me mauvais français... I am trying my hardest to improve but now I am confused: i) Can you put vous after negative then and keep the inversion for a question? and ii) Can you just use the ne part - I thought it was the other way round and in slang you could drop the ne like in "J'ai pas" instead of je ne sais pas (and sounding like shay pa). And they said us English were bad at cutting our syllables, how on Earth they expect me to improve....

Legal Disclaimer: I appear to have gone off topic. Sorry.