Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Brenda Fassie

Scouting through the internet news pages, I keep coming up with storys about a 'pop diva' called Brenda Fassie. However, I can't seem to find any news about her outside of African (mainly South African) web sites. So, out of interest I am posting this topic just to see if anyone else has actually heard of her - perhaps I'm getting old and she is the best thing since the Spice Girls? Anyway, famous or not, she doesn't look like she is going to be singing any more!

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...1521329,00.html

DWB :ph34r:

Never heard of her, and being a recent subscriber of Froots magazine I would have expected to if she was THAT famous.........

Guest God

Mortals,

She was famous throughout the area you call Africa.

However, it is too late now. I have taken the Black Madonna.

Use the thread to stitch this one closed.

You can't be wise after the event. :ph34r:

We may have been doing her a disservice - she's famous enough to be the lead obituary in The Guardian today.

Guest Jane

I know who Brenda Fassie is, and I was very sad to hear of her death. For anyone who has visited or lived in Africa, Brenda was one of the most heard singers on the airwaves, and she was one of the few African singers who was loved not just within her country, but across the country.

I heard her music for the first time while travelling in Rwanda on a minibus, and she truly does have an unmistakeable "golden" voice, and the energy that comes across in her music is unrivalled. I listened to many of her albums while living in Africa, and I still do--it's some of the most accessbile African music out there. It's too bad that a success story such as hers was ended so soon.

Guest Halo Forsyth

Jane .. you don't get anything for a pair love, not in this game.

We asked 100 people who Brenda Fassie was... [fx noise]... 4..., you were right to go lower.

Now now.

Just as we seem to have a Northern Hemisphere bias, it appears we have a Occidental bias too. Unless Ms. Fassie was only famous in southern Africa, in which can we have both at the same time.

Do we have any famous Africans on the list ?

Is Mandela (Nelson or Winnie) due to up sticks soon ?

Or what about South American ?

Maybe we should scour the world for non-famous famous people.

I think we can safely ignore Antarctica, unless someone thaws out Oates (I'm just going outside and may be some time ... No kidding mate)

Guest D. E. Athkins
I know who Brenda Fassie is, and I was very sad to hear of her death. For anyone who has visited or lived in Africa, Brenda was one of the most heard singers on the airwaves, and she was one of the few African singers who was loved not just within her country, but across the country.

I heard her music for the first time while travelling in Rwanda on a minibus, and she truly does have an unmistakeable "golden" voice, and the energy that comes across in her music is unrivalled. I listened to many of her albums while living in Africa, and I still do--it's some of the most accessbile African music out there. It's too bad that a success story such as hers was ended so soon.

She sounds a hell of a lot better six feet under! Her music isn't quite as accessible now... unless you've got a spare spade!

Guest Guest
:D Sad that she has died. I lived in Africa at one point and its true she was the Madonna of Africa

Guest Guest

Her Last Albu[MALI], so full of energy

01 ponci Ponci (Ponjie Ponjie) 05:21

02 Mali 05:07

03 Ntsware-Ndibambe 05:55

04 Ngwanona 05:00

05 Undikolota Malini 04:45

06 Siyobonana 04:44

07 My Baby 06:14

08 Ngizilahlela Kuwe 05:30

09 Ponci Ponci (Guitar Man Mix) 05:01

10 Ngwanona (Dub Mix) 04:32

11 Ponci Ponci Pinda (Club Mix) 05:20

01 ponci Ponci (Ponjie Ponjie) 05:21

02 Mali 05:07

03 Ntsware-Ndibambe 05:55

04 Ngwanona 05:00

05 Undikolota Malini 04:45

06 Siyobonana 04:44

07 My Baby 06:14

08 Ngizilahlela Kuwe 05:30

09 Ponci Ponci (Guitar Man Mix) 05:01

10 Ngwanona (Dub Mix) 04:32

11 Ponci Ponci Pinda (Club Mix) 05:20

There's more ponci on that album than on your average Boy George record......

Guest anitasinclair1@yahoo.co.uk

i watched brenda fassie on bbc london not so long ago and wish to purchase the album on which she sings I am a true african woman can any supply me with the information i require of this remarkable woman

13-brenda.jpg

Never heard of her either, but from the picture above of her greeting Mr.Mbeki at a Springboks rugby match, it would appear that she was a very energetic and unconventional lady. Bet nobody's ever greeted Tony B Liar in this fashion!

i watched brenda fassie on bbc london not so long ago and wish to purchase the album on which she sings I am a true african woman can any supply me with the information i require of this remarkable woman

Here's a link to a website that has her music. Good luck

South African music

Guest yeuks

brenda fassie was definitely the queen of vocals, she rocks. i miss her so much and i would really encourage you all to listen to her last album mali and her greatest hits.

Guest brenda fasie

best music i could use to throw up :)

was great for the ""locals"

Guest Guest
Scouting through the internet news pages, I keep coming up with storys about a 'pop diva' called Brenda Fassie. However, I can't seem to find any news about her outside of African (mainly South African) web sites. So, out of interest I am posting this topic just to see if anyone else has actually heard of her - perhaps I'm getting old and she is the best thing since the Spice Girls? Anyway, famous or not, she doesn't look like she is going to be singing any more!

DWB :lol:

Brenda is a legend and its a pity you know nothing about her, especilly her music.

She was like the Billie Holiday of Africa. Its sad that we lost her through death.

If i start telling you about her music, i guess i'll never stop. Do a google search on her and you'll be surprised as to how popular she was. Maybe you might not like her music but to us South Africans, she was the daughter of the soil who was one of the first artists who sang about South Africa having a black president....and we did have Nelson Mandela as our first President/ Brenda has done a lot of good for many people, despite her controversial character. She was a great person who took care of the needy and gave them hope!

DWB :lol:

she was the daughter of the soil

Jack Handy's already had some Deep Thoughts about her....

He was a cowboy, mister, and he loved the land. He loved it so much he made a woman out of dirt and married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated. Later, at the funeral, when the preacher said, "Dust to dust," some people laughed, and the cowboy shot them. At his hanging, he told the others, "I'll be waiting for you in heaven--with a gun."

http://www.cco.net/~jpete/deepthou.htm