Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

So I'll be OK during my beach holiday in Kashmir next week.

You wouldn't want to go there anyway - there's a war on you know!

I just had a quick email exchange with my travel agent and I've rebooked. He had a fantastic offer for 10 days on Bali. :D

The point I was making was that journos seem to rather overplay reports of the bleeding obvious.

[...]

They might as well report from the scene and play 'Waltzing Matilda' repeatedly with a banjo, for all the difference they make.

This is a consequence of 24-7 news reporting - indifference.... 

Indeed. It's getting worse and worse.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I have a couple of friends who go to these places for a holiday just after a war or anything like that, i.e. Iraq, Bali,Serbia etc. as the cost of the holiday is dirt cheap 'cos no one in their right mind wants to go there.

Whenever there's a hurricane/earthquake/tsunami in some far flung place I always think of this.....

Small earthquake in Chile. Not many dead. (Claud Cockburn, winning entry for a dullest headline competition at the Times)

Guest Gary

this is a shock, noone has blamed bush yet

The one plus point I'm hoping for is that Osama Bin Liner might have been hiding in the area and he is now pancaked under a big slab of concrete!

The one plus point I'm hoping for is that Osama Bin Liner might have been hiding in the area and he is now pancaked under a big slab of concrete!

If so, then I'm sure GWB will take the credit for the earthquake :)

Small earthquake in Chile. Not many dead. (Claud Cockburn, winning entry for a dullest headline competition at the Times)

A bit more of that wouldn't go amiss...

I see that Mark Whatisface from ITN has darted to the death scene quick-as-a-flash. And to think that some people think we are all sick for going on this website.

Wouldn't it be great, considering the year we're having, that we go through a whole year without some big bleeding event going on. You know: No earthquakes, tidal waves, bomb blasts, political deaths/resignations, royal deaths/scandal, health scares, famines, coups, revolutions etc. We would have the spectacle of all those journos scuttling around looking for scraps of news to fill their programmes with, while we all get on with life, love and the pursuit of happiness without distractions...

If so, then I'm sure GWB will take the credit for the earthquake :huh:

Ever wonder if Osama and GWB are one-and-the-same? After all, you never see them in the same room together.

I see that Mark Whatisface from ITN has darted to the death scene quick-as-a-flash. And to think that some people think we are all sick for going on this website.

I always wondered why we don't have aid convoys attached to Journos.

Whenever anything happens the Beeb can have a breakfast tv presenter there with full broadcast capability and make up cart in 24 hours. In New Orleans the locals were forced out but the Beeb remained. When Rita was heading for the coast the Beeb bloke was like Canute at the shore.

Bugger heavy lifting gear, get Kate Adie there with 15 of her mates and Kashmir will be rebuilt, political agreement reached between India, Pakistan and the Kashmiri Separatists by Tuesday afternoon.....

I always wondered why we don't have aid convoys attached to Journos.

Whenever anything happens the Beeb can have a breakfast tv presenter there with full broadcast capability and make up cart in 24 hours. In New Orleans the locals were forced out but the Beeb remained. When Rita was heading for the coast the Beeb bloke was like Canute at the shore.

Nowadays two people, a talking head and a cameraperson, can do the trick. Thanks to digital cameras and satellite communication the equipment fits nicely in a suitcase. Perhaps they need another suitcase for the collapsable make-up cart, so the cameraperson can carry the lot.

Bugger heavy lifting gear, get Kate Adie there with 15 of her mates and Kashmir will be rebuilt, political agreement reached between India, Pakistan and the Kashmiri Separatists by Tuesday afternoon.....

:huh:

regards,

Hein

Dubya is making sure he's not to blame when New Orleans refloods next year - he's letting the locals take the wrap.....

Not My Fault

Tropical Storm Wilma, is showing promise, could well become a hurricane.It's heading Florida's way at the moment.

2005, has now equalled the record breaking 1933 year, for tropical storms.

Apparantly w is the last letter in the English alphabet that will be used to name hurricanes. So if there is another tropical storm or hurricane after Wilma, its name will come from the Greek alphabet.

Apparantly w is the last letter in the English alphabet that will be used to name hurricanes.  So if there is another tropical storm or hurricane after Wilma, its name will come from the Greek alphabet.

That's only for this year. They'll start again at "A" in 2006

Tropical Storm Wilma, is showing promise, could well become a hurricane.It's heading Florida's way at the moment.

2005, has now equalled the record breaking 1933 year, for tropical storms.

Well Fred will be very happy, Wilma has reached category 1 according to CNN so there goes another neighbourhood...

Well Fred will be very happy, Wilma has reached category 1 according to CNN so there goes another neighbourhood...

I suppose Wilma can do a remarkable blow-job.

regards,

Hein

Can any of our members hazzard a guess at the toll from Wilma? Two points to bear in mind are :

Some simulations have it heading for Florida, governed by Jed? Bush.

They have had a few days warning.

My guess is less than 250

Apparantly w is the last letter in the English alphabet that will be used to name hurricanes.  So if there is another tropical storm or hurricane after Wilma, its name will come from the Greek alphabet.

That's only for this year. They'll start again at "A" in 2006

I was actually referring to the 2005 hurricane season. Not next year. ;)

Can any of our members hazzard a guess at the toll from Wilma? Two points to bear in mind are :

Some simulations have it heading for Florida,  governed by Jed? Bush.

They have had a few days warning.

My guess is less than 250

Hurricane Wilma is now packing winds of 177Km/hr (110mph) and one projection has it crossing the western part of Cuba, then moving towards towards the Southwestern Florida Coast.

Record-tying Hurricane Wilma intensifies

Wilma now has sustained winds of 280Km/hr (175 mph)

Below is a graph of its projected path:

WilmaProjPath.gif

WilmaProjPath.gif

That path suggests that Wilma is a commie.

regards,

Hein

The path suggest that Wilma is infact a -Guest- on the Fidel Castro thread. ;)

:lol: