Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

On 9/1/2017 at 17:03, Sir Creep said:

51 last I heard.  For those who are unaware, which is basically everyone, Beaumont is far from a small town.  I won't look it up but I'm certain they have 60000 people, so we are talking many miles of suburbs effected.  It's the largest city between Lake Charles LA and Houston TX.   Funny thing is I drive through these areas all the time and saw the 'hurricane evacuation' signs posted on the highway, and thought that's crazy putting signs all the way out here.  It's hard to imagine without seeing it for myself.
SC

Hope you made it home. God´s Speed Sir Creep.

4 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Hope you made it home. God´s Speed Sir Creep.

Gracias.....I actually have another 24 hours (approx) before I leave for home.  I'll have to take an alternative route as my main route of Interstate 10 is closed.
SC

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 15:23, Sir Creep said:

Gracias.....I actually have another 24 hours (approx) before I leave for home.  I'll have to take an alternative route as my main route of Interstate 10 is closed.
SC

Well I threw caution to the wind and drove I-10 anyway, knowing they the road closures were through the 4th, and I wouldn't arrive until 2am on the 5th (and seeing as the closures hadn't been extended by 3pm on the 4th...).  It was nighttime but I saw next to nothing in Houston, and nothing in Beaumont proper, but the 2+ miles between Beaumont and Vidor were under 4+ feet of water, and Orange, TX near the Louisiana border took a big hit to more expensive homes.  The Sabine River (the state border) was a mile over it's banks in both directions.  No one lives there though, but I suppose it could permanently alter the border in spots.
SC

• Like 1

Earthquake of preliminary 8.1 hits off the coast of Mexico. Several aftershocks felt, earthquake felt in Mexico City, Angel of Independence monument started shaking. Tsunami warning in place. 

EDIT: Twitter reports actual magnitude as 8.4. Earthquake said to be Mexico's worst since 1985, and that one killed 10,000 people

Attached below.

On 9/8/2017 at 02:00, RishCast said:

Earthquake of preliminary 8.1 hits off the coast of Mexico. Several aftershocks felt, earthquake felt in Mexico City, Angel of Independence monument started shaking. Tsunami warning in place. 

EDIT: Twitter reports actual magnitude as 8.4. Earthquake said to be Mexico's worst since 1985, and that one killed 10,000 people

On Wednesday, Mexico experienced its deadliest earthquake since 1985, with estimates so far that it killed at least 217 people.

The quake struck at about 2:15 p.m. ET on Tuesday and had a magnitude of 7.1, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Its epicenter was in the state of Puebla, about 80 miles southeast of Mexico City.

It came less than two weeks after a magnitude 8.1 quake hit the country and killed nearly 100.
SC

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

On Wednesday, Mexico experienced its deadliest earthquake since 1985, with estimates so far that it killed at least 217 people.

The quake struck at about 2:15 p.m. ET on Tuesday and had a magnitude of 7.1, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Its epicenter was in the state of Puebla, about 80 miles southeast of Mexico City.

It came less than two weeks after a magnitude 8.1 quake hit the country and killed nearly 100.
SC

Included in the deaths is at least 20 children who were killed after a school collapsed. 

• Sad 1

Japan gets hit with a quake too.

If Aaron Ramsey scores a hattrick tonight, I'm off to the hills with the dug and a tent.

End of the fucking World.

• Haha 1

Yesterday's tsunami that wasn't.

AccuWeather taking some heat for sending out tsunami alert to phones....only it was a system test, a fact left unsaid in the warning.
SC

I hope Lardy and DDT wern't flying this afternoon then, 4.9 quake in south west England aroind 2.30 pm

7 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

I hope Lardy and DDT wern't flying this afternoon then, 4.9 quake in south west England aroind 2.30 pm

Felt it myself in N Wales.

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

I felt your mom.

And there was me thinking that you truly became more mature when you came back...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

Lots of local people felt it here in Wiltshire but I didn’t.  There was one here when I was a teenager, which I did feel, a very strange experience indeed.

Also, forgive my ignorance but if a helicopter is in the air, i.e. not touching the ground, why would an earthquake make it crash? 

3 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Also, forgive my ignorance but if a helicopter is in the air, i.e. not touching the ground, why would an earthquake make it crash? 

It crashed due to unrelated reasons. The earthquake already finished at the time of the crash; the helicopter was there to assess the damages.

Everyone's felt a tremor through a chopper, surely?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Lots of local people felt it here in Wiltshire but I didn’t.  There was one here when I was a teenager, which I did feel, a very strange experience indeed.

There was one here in the early 80s, I didn't feel it but there were a few houses about 10 miles from us lost a few slates and chimney pots ect. It would be an interesting thing to experience as long as nobody was injured.

12 hours ago, Death Impends said:

It crashed due to unrelated reasons. The earthquake already finished at the time of the crash; the helicopter was there to assess the damages.

Ah, I see, that makes much more sense! 

6 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

There was one here in the early 80s, I didn't feel it but there were a few houses about 10 miles from us lost a few slates and chimney pots ect. It would be an interesting thing to experience as long as nobody was injured.

I was about 15 and on work experience at the time in our County Hall (where I work now too) and the railway runs behind the building.  We were on the third (top) floor and felt a sudden, quite violent jolt.  No damage or pictures falling off walls or anything but enough to startle you.  We all looked at each other and said ‘did you feel that too’ etc but at the time we put it down to perhaps a passing cargo train.  It was only that evening when it was reported on the local news that we realised what it was (it must have been 1989 so no internet to tell us immediately!).  I can’t really describe it, it was just strange and a little unnerving.  I’d definitely shit my pants in a real earthquake.

Been watching the Lava Bomb hit a boat full of people who want to get really close to an erupting volcano all day.

Their horrified screams never get old.

Slightly misplaced maybe?

Developing story out of Laos: Laos state news agency says several dead, hundreds missing after collapse of hydroelectric dam in southeast.

Indonesian Tsunami total at 62 and rising, including the bassist in the band seventeen.

Video of it hitting their concert in the link.

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2018/12/443213/watch-moment-sunda-strait-tsunami-crashes-beachside-rock-concert-death-toll

I'd be wary of being in Japan.

Oar fish starting to show up, harbingers of Doom re earthquakes.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/rare-fish-seen-as-harbingers-of-earthquakes-tsunamis-caught-in-japan-1999529?pfrom=home-lateststories

mol8lbqg_oarfish-japan-afp_625x300_26_Fe

• Like 1

Rescue crews using dogs and drones searched for victims amid splintered lumber and twisted metal Monday after the deadliest U.S. tornado in nearly six years ripped through a rural Alabama community. At least 23 people were killed, some of them children.  Dozens were missing in Lee County nearly a day after the twister struck, according to the sheriff, who said that crews had combed the hardest-hit areas but that other places had yet to be searched.

SC

• Like 1