Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-massive-magnitude-77-earthquake-29141511
7.7 is massive. I fear the death toll will very very high. 

Define "very very high".

So far they're saying at least 195 dead, with 774 injured. That will likely rise into several hundred.

Turkey has had much worse in modern times. The 1999 earthquake killed 17,000–18,000 people.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Define "very very high".

So far they're saying at least 195 dead, with 774 injured. That will likely rise into several hundred.

Turkey has had much worse in modern times. The 1999 earthquake killed 17,000–18,000 people.

It was likely rise into several thousand....

3 hours ago, Comped said:

From what I understand from a Turkish associate of mine, very very high might be an understatement considering it was felt from Israel to Istanbul...

LOL that’s a whopping 696 miles.  That’s not even Texas!

You Europeans maintain such a diminished scope when it comes to geography, there's no wonder why it’s a deserved stereotype. 

• Facepalm 3

4 hours ago, Comped said:

very very high might be an understatement

Ooh are we talking very very very high or even very very very very high?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

LOL that’s a whopping 696 miles.  That’s not even Texas!

You Europeans maintain such a diminished scope when it comes to geography, there's no wonder why it’s a deserved stereotype. 

And you maintain, personify even, an absolute shit-ton of American tropes that this post hasn't diminished one iota.

• Like 3

A second 7.8 just hit southern Turkey

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Wow, death toll is now 16,380 and expected to continue rising. Looks like the toll could surpass the 1999 earthquake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, I'm afraid this:

On 06/02/2023 at 05:26, Ulitzer95 said:

was grimly premature now, 17 1/2 thousand dead in Turkey alone, up to 20k including Syria, and its the worst earthquake to hit Turkey since 1939. Which was the worst in about a thousand years. Horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

50 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah, I'm afraid this:

was grimly premature now, 17 1/2 thousand dead in Turkey alone, up to 20k including Syria, and its the worst earthquake to hit Turkey since 1939. Which was the worst in about a thousand years. Horrible. 

And like 1939 it happened in the middle of the night in winter. 

Has anyone here felt an earthquake. I haven’t but my parents did while on holiday a few years before I was born. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Has anyone here felt an earthquake. I haven’t but my parents did while on holiday a few years before I was born. 

Yes, I have been through a few but 2 that actually had notable size:

2001 Ash Wednesday earthquake in Washington State (6.8) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nisqually_earthquake I was in a marine sciences room and the leeches were sloshing on the floor.
2010 Easter earthquake in San Diego (7.2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Baja_California_earthquake  This one made me vomit a lot; it felt like a rocking boat.
Single digit deaths in both though.

• Like 1

I remember one When I was young in the South of France, I remember seeing the piece of furniture shaking and one of our chair fell but I doubt it was a big one 

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

In Chile earthquakes usually happen, the last dangerous I lived was 2010 Earthquake  (8.8)

Was really scary but the chilean constructions are resistant almost all time

• Like 4

Also, I remember with the Washington earthquake that we lived next to a volcano, Mt Rainier, and immediately got scared about that situation because earthquakes can indicate the volcano activity. When that goes, many areas will be buried under the lahars fairly quick so while we practiced evacuation procedures it felt futile.

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Yes a couple in Zante- the Ionian Islands sit on a fault line and Zante was flattened in 1950s.

First one I was sat by the pool- and before it hit all the animals - dogs, cats went bananas. Then silence as it came through. Only in 4s but weird to be in as my foot literally moved forward by a few inches then it started!

Second time- early one morning in a thunderstorm ironically and the room started shaking with the lampshade moving like a pendulum.

All very safe but interesting! 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 22:08, msc said:

Yeah, I'm afraid this:

The death toll hit 35,000 people today. Still growing.

5th deadliest earthquake of the 21st century so far.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The death toll hit 35,000 people today. Still growing.

5th deadliest earthquake of the 21st century so far.

If it more than doubles, which it very well could, it stands a good chance of getting into 3rd. No chance it gets higher than that though.

Watched a story about the 2018 zoning peace/construction peace legislation in Turkey, where an estimated 10000000 illegal buildings were made legal so that they could be sold legally AND the Turkish government could then collect the taxes from the transactions. These buildings were either built where they were not supposed to be or NOT BUILT UP TO STANDARD and were brought up to code by the stroke of a pen and not one ounce of cement or inch of re-bar! 

My Dad was a builder so I know that dealing with building control can be a pain but I wonder how many of those structures would have survived if built to code in the first place.

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, thadee said:

Made the mistake of searching his name on Facebook. Wish I hadn't as ppl have posted photos of his corpse. Looks like he was crushed by a huge structure. Didn't stand a chance, but at least he probably died instantly and didn't suffer.

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Made the mistake of searching his name on Facebook. Wish I hadn't as ppl have posted photos of his corpse. Looks like he was crushed by a huge structure. Didn't stand a chance, but at least he probably died instantly and didn't suffer.

I was in the same boat when on social media earlier. Disgusting and unnecessary to photograph him like that. Yeah judging from the photos he would have been crushed to death instantly or very soon after impact.

Who the hell takes pictures of someone dead for social media though? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Didn't stand a chance may be an understatement from that photo... That is probably the worst way to go. One of them anyway.

Just now, Comped said:

Didn't stand a chance may be an understatement from that photo... That is probably the worst way to go. One of them anyway.

I think being injured and then lying for days under the rubble before dying would be worse. It was quick at least. If I had to die in an earthquake I would prefer it to be over as quickly as that.

• Like 1