Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

The latest report out of Nashville is that close to 20 people are confirmed dead after a tornado that touched down early Tuesday, authorities said.

Searches of collapsed buildings are underway, and others have died after being hit by flying debris, according to reports. The numbers of dead and injured are likely to be updated multiple times through the day.  At least 20 people have been hospitalized, Nashville Mayor John Cooper (D) said early Tuesday. Thirty first-responders have been injured, according to the fire department.

Police also said 40 buildings collapsed when the twister touched down.  Damage stretched for at least 20 miles, from just north of downtown Nashville to suburban Mt. Juliet, east of the city.
SC

Krakatoa in Indonesia is in the midst of a violent eruption.  Probably nothing to worry about, but what if we have a year without summer to add to our woes? 

47 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Krakatoa in Indonesia is in the midst of a violent eruption.  Probably nothing to worry about, but what if we have a year without summer to add to our woes? 

I'm having a flashback to secondary school when I did coursework on that damn volcano.

As long as Yellowstone doesn't erupt then I think we're cool.

10 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I'm having a flashback to secondary school when I did coursework on that damn volcano.

As long as Yellowstone doesn't erupt then I think we're cool.

Yellowstone is probably saving that for 2021

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Christ sake you wax poetic like living downwind of Mount St Helen’s 50 miles.  I don’t know who this ‘we’ is: either you got a mouse in your pocket or your French is bad.

A magnitude 7.3 earthquake hit off Fukushima prefecture in northeastern Japan late Saturday night, leaving at least several injured and causing widespread power outages in the region.

There was no threat of a tsunami from the quake. About 830,000 households were hit by blackouts, according to Tokyo Electric Power Co., also known as Tepco.

SC

Edit: get this lmao....

Japan's Meteorological Agency says it considers Saturday's earthquake off the east coast to be an aftershock of the deadly 9.0-magnitude earthquake that struck the same area almost 10 years ago.

Good job a lot of Fukushima is abandoned due to that incident a few years back.

Forty-two dead in Germany following torrential rain in Europe. No doubt not helped by all the basements being dug out.

15 hours ago, time said:

Forty-two dead in Germany following torrential rain in Europe. No doubt not helped by all the basements being dug out.

At 93 deaths now. It's not far away from where I grew up. The water is making its way towards the Netherlands now and will pass my original hometown. It will be less dangerous there, but there will be a triple-digit number of deaths in the end. And it's quite a bit of a national tragedy and a political bomb.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

At 93 deaths now. It's not far away from where I grew up. The water is making its way towards the Netherlands now and will pass my original hometown. It will be less dangerous there, but there will be a triple-digit number of deaths in the end. And it's quite a bit of a national tragedy and a political bomb.

I live about 1.5 hours from one hot spot. It rained incredibly hard here and my train home from work took over an hour longer than usual, it was great chaos. But I made it home !!! However, many colleaguesfrom work live in this area and had no electricity and no connection to the outside for a day. Nothing seems to have happened to anyone I know, but overall it's a major tragedy, yes.

Meanwhile, 103 dead :(

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Video is pretty gruesome. Did not know where to post this, but this cliff slides and hits a bunch of boats. 

7 dead as of now. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 4

Not sure where to put a large fire; move it to a more appropriate thread if necessary.

At least 19 people are dead, including nine children, following a massive fire in New York City on Sunday, officials said.

More than 200 firefighters responded to the scene of the five-alarm fire that originated Sunday morning in a duplex apartment on the third floor of a high-rise building, located in the Tremont section of the Bronx, officials said. More than 60 people were injured.

SC

An avalanche in an area of Austria bordering Switzerland has killed four people and a fifth person is missing on an unusually dangerous day in the Alps after heavy snowfall followed by warmer weather.

SC

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

So far people have taken the warnings generally about Storm Eunice.

The O2 Arena however, nowhere to hide: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60434549

This twat continues to be a twat though

• Like 3

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

So far people have taken the warnings generally about Storm Eunice.

The O2 Arena however, nowhere to hide: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60434549

Eunice/God clearly has good taste - today's Simply Red concert in the 02 has been cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Galloway but of course

FL4YlhWWYAILA3P.jpeg

"Because our parents faced the Blitz" .......  What a twat.

People took refuge in air raid shelters during the Blitz. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

"Because our parents faced the Blitz" .......  What a twat.

People took refuge in air raid shelters during the Blitz. 

George Galloway has six kids, apparently, five of them 14 or younger. Poor sods.