Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

Not to mention the whole of the Netherlands, lets abandon them all. because in the long run they just aren't viable.

What I'll write may not go down well with my countrymen, but I agree. If the rise of sea level continues as it does, the western part of my country will become unsafe for living within a century.

I live in the western part of my country, about 4 m below sea level. I feel safe now, we've spent billions on those bloody dams. Solid engeneering, that.

Add another meter to sea level and I'm not so sure. I've read somewhere that if all land ice would melt, the beach would be in Paris. That may be centuries away, but climate trends are that way. In the long run my place will become uninhabitable.

The good news is: I won't be around.

regards,

Hein

I say Skinny old chap, I reckon you were doomed the day Hans Brinker joined this list.

• Like 1

Add another meter to sea level and I'm not so sure. I've read somewhere that if all land ice would melt, the beach would be in Paris. That may be centuries away, but climate trends are that way. In the long run my place will become uninhabitable.

The good news is: I won't be around.

regards,

Hein

At least that would stop Parisians having to create their artificial beach on the banks of the Seine every summer -

Mind you lovely city shame about the locals!

Anyway global warming doesn't worry George W - Halliburton are branching out into Oil Rigs to float above Texas in future, and they've got some dandy new boats for the marines working in Baghdad.

Hurricane Rita is on its way

Interesting(?) page here on how hurricanes are named.

This time it could be Texas "Dubya's" home State,

I bet any emergency response will be somewhat more prompt this time.

Is he at home right now?

I wonder how many more hurricanes will hit the US this year.

I can feel another poll coming on :sicktherm:

Windsor, millwall, ready, get set, go..... :)

My guess is "some". Do I get a prize?

Guest IYG

Getting serious around here. My university was closed today and will remain until Sunday.

Getting serious around here. My university was closed today and will remain until Sunday.

Party time then Inar?

My university was closed today and will remain until Sunday.

Is the hurricane coming on Sunday, then?

Guest IYG

Hurricane should hit Friday I believe and for now it's till Sunday, my Astronomy professor believes that this will be extended till Monday at least.

Guest Rob

I wonder who the first left wing moonbat will be who is going to blame hurricane rita for bush, we all know only hours after katrina hit, the moonbats were out in force blaming bush :sicktherm:

Indeed - we are waiting to see how long it takes Bush to blame the terrorists. :sicktherm:

I wonder who the first left wing moonbat will be who is going to blame hurricane rita for bush, we all know only hours after katrina hit, the moonbats were out in force blaming bush :sicktherm:

I don't think they were blaming Bush for the hurricane, but for the lack of help before, during and even after Kat struck.

I can feel another poll coming on :sicktherm:

Windsor, millwall, ready, get set, go..... :P

Millwall is the poll man - he does all that.

I am, however, mainly responsible for dropping in silly questions every now and then.

Heres a new one: What is more annoying, Millwall's polls or windsor's questions?. :):P

I can feel another poll coming on ;)

Windsor, millwall, ready, get set, go..... :P

Millwall is the poll man - he does all that.

I am, however, mainly responsible for dropping in silly questions every now and then.

Heres a new one: What is more annoying, Millwall's polls or windsor's questions?. ;):P

Can we have a vote on that one?? :P

PS - My apologies for getting you confused with millwall. Old age and all that.... :huh:

Rita is now a cat 5...pressure at 904 MB. Katrina's Lowest Pressure was 902mb. Thought I would stop by since hurricanes are my expertise. It still isnt quite as large in size as Katrina was at her peak however, I will post some comparison pictures in a bit.

Im guessing it will make landfall as a strong Catagory 4 with winds around 150mph. Before Landfall though, I think it will shatter records as far as strength goes, the atmosphere is still favorable for development and it could come close to the 888mb all time record of a hurricane's pressure which was Gilbert back in '88.

;) and BTW who tampered with my sig? :huh:

Pressure Update on Rita...now down to 898mb!

ritavapor2fg.jpg

Above is the Water Vapor Image For Rita, Again its not quite as large as Katrina was at her peak but then again Rita is probably not at her peak yet either. The eye of Rita is large but not as large as Katrina's was. The eye and the outer bands are also a bit more ragged than Katrina's. You can see the brown area that represents dry air which is harmful to hurricanes, as Rita approaches this, it might put a damper on her strengthening which is good news.

katrinavapor4wd.jpg

Now here is a snapshot I took when Katrina was at her worst on the Sunday morning before its Monday Landfall.You can see the outer bands(outflow) is alot more organized, the eye is larger, and the eyewall is more symmetrical. Even though Rita's Pressure has become lower than Katrina's peak was, Katrina was still a more symmetrical and sizeable storm.

I wonder who the first left wing moonbat will be who is going to blame hurricane rita for bush, we all know only hours after katrina hit, the moonbats were out in force blaming bush :huh:

I'm going to blame our own esteemed Grim Rita.

av-45.jpg

So Florida or Texas is about to be laid waste by a psychadelic pair of breasts?

So Florida or Texas is about to be laid waste by a psychedelic pair of breasts?

IYG, your luck has finally turned!