Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

Apparently Bush was recently asked for his view on Roe v. Wade. He said he didn't care how people get out of New Orleans.

• Like 1

Apparently Bush was recently asked for his view on Roe v. Wade. He said he didn't care how people get out of New Orleans.

;):ph34r::huh:

Guest IYG

I'm stuck here. We tried getting out but after 5 hours and managing only 11 miles we realized that we aren't going to get out of there soon and not with the ammount of gas we have. This is going to be scary.

I'm stuck here. We tried getting out but after 5 hours and managing only 11 miles we realized that we aren't going to get out of there soon and not with the ammount of gas we have. This is going to be scary.

I understand what you mean. I was in Miami in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew struck with wind gusts of up to 272 km/hr (164mph). Just try to keep safe, as it looks like Hurricane Rira is going to be one vicious storm.

It's happened before in Galveston

Good luck

There's an almost surreal aspect to America's unfolding disaster. A bus full of the aged and infirm locked in traffic and destroyed in an inferno made worse by exploding oxygen cylinders.....I mean there's a touch of Hollywood in there somewhere.

Begging the question, will there be similar untimely deaths given the chaos of trying to cope and will anyone of note to the DL be in greater danger as a result?

Could've sworn I left the post above on a different thread. Maybe it was evacuated here to escape an impending hurricane!

Could've sworn I left the post above on a different thread. Maybe it was evacuated here to escape an impending hurricane!

Oops! Sorry MPFC, I merged it with the katrina thread which is where I think it belongs.

Guest IYG
Hello Inar, Looks like it's going to miss you unless your on the wrong side of Houston. Everything OK?

I didn't have cable and internet for a while but it's back on. We've already cleaned most of the house and took off some of the tape from the windows.

Hello Inar,  Looks like it's going to miss you unless your on the wrong side of Houston.  Everything OK?

I didn't have cable and internet for a while but it's back on. We've already cleaned most of the house and took off some of the tape from the windows.

Yes, Houston was spared, as the hurricane turned east at the last moment and came ashore near the Texas/Louisiana border. Beaumont, Texas and Lake Charles, Louisiana got most of the damage.

Looks like you got caught preparing to loot the video stores, Inar..

196252346an.th.jpg

Thanks for the link, Captain. Number eight is my favourite. It's entitled, "Waving the Flag at Rita"

196373772nz.th.jpg

Better than waving your guns at Rita, I suppose..

Noticed ZZ Top were in Saratoga and Reno during the deluge on their Texas homes. Not gonna get a Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown moment with this hurricane.

Apparently there were fears of another tremor earlier today. But it turned out to be a false alarm - it was only the rumble of journalists/bloggers rubbing their hands....

"Tsunami it isn't"

So I'll be OK during my beach holiday in Kashmir next week. :D

regards,

Hein

So I'll be OK during my beach holiday in Kashmir next week.

You wouldn't want to go there anyway - there's a war on you know!

The point I was making was that journos seem to rather overplay reports of the bleeding obvious. 'There's a disaster' they cry. Yes, we know! All systems are in place, or at least should be in place, to deal with that kind of disaster. There's no need to labour the point, particularly in view of the Tsunami, which has somewhat raised the bar as far as disasters are concerned. But be it Russian school seiges, Tube bombs, earthquakes or whatever, TV journos report in the same, pompous, emotive, trill way as ever. They might as well report from the scene and play 'Waltzing Matilda' repeatedly with a banjo, for all the difference they make.

This is a consequence of 24-7 news reporting - indifference....

If a bird flu pandemic ever comes to pass, then I dread what new lows of reporting may be reached.

West Nile Virus will be the next one to hit out shores... one for the old and the infirm. Better up the stakes on some of our elderly UK celebs. :D

• Like 1