Sign in to follow this  
VSBfromH

Milton Obote Dead

Milton Obote

Former Ugandan president (twice).

"Overthrown by Idi Amin in 1971, he returned to office in 1980, only to be ousted in 1985 by forces led by Yoweri Museveni, Uganda's current president."

He'll be missed.

By whom? :)

To mis-quote Oscar Wilde: For a country to have one despot is unfortunate, to have two is plain bloody careless!

Milton Obote

Former Ugandan president (twice).

"Overthrown by Idi Amin in 1971, he returned to office in 1980, only to be ousted in 1985 by forces led by Yoweri Museveni, Uganda's current president."

Good riddance!

Guest iain

I REPORTED THIS IN THE NEAR MISS THREAD!

I REPORTED THIS IN THE NEAR MISS THREAD!

So did I iain*, which is where the first item on this thread first appeared. Since then, it seems to have become a thread in its own right. Obviously some tinkering going on here!

*a little while before your good self

Bloody hell, was he still alive?

So, he got time to smirk over Idi's demise then.

This seems about as good a thread as any on here to report the death of the composer of Uganda's national anthem, George WIlberforce Kakoma, who more than likely had dealings with Mr Amin and Mr Obote. http://www.monitor.c...78/-/aw5uedz/-/

Uganda's national anthem is the shortest in the world. Should a Ugandan win a medal at this year's Olympics, he (or she) will be honoured with a tune lasting only sixteen seconds! (I know this as the subject was discussed on Radio 4's breakfast news the other day, the Ugandan anthem is at 1.14)

This seems about as good a thread as any on here to report the death of the composer of Uganda's national anthem, George WIlberforce Kakoma, who more than likely had dealings with Mr Amin and Mr Obote. http://www.monitor.c...78/-/aw5uedz/-/

Uganda's national anthem is the shortest in the world. Should a Ugandan win a medal at this year's Olympics, he (or she) will be honoured with a tune lasting only sixteen seconds! (I know this as the subject was discussed on Radio 4's breakfast news the other day, the Ugandan anthem is at 1.14)

And the only time it's ever been played at the Olympics was when the late John Akii-Bua won 400m hurdles gold at Munich in 1972. (7:05-7:25 - they must have been playing it adagietto)