Sign in to follow this  
The Yeti

Chris Rea, Die-arrhea

That sounds about right from what I've heard. Although I realize that this an older thread, it doesn't look like he's going to be a viable candidate for some years yet, unless someone knows something I don't (which is quite possible).

Wow, what the hell is your problem? I asked a legitimate question.

ok well I've tried and I've tried but hey...I honestly do not see a question here at all, or is it just me!!! quality not quantity rings a bell here..hmmm sounds familiar these days. all it says to me is that a Rank system overseen by Mods is needed now...it's getting to the stage that too many people feel things are getting sour..posts for posts sake..ya know....get my quota up, I have to agree with the majority now it really is getting silly, and If ya don't know what I'm referring too then perhaps you shouldn't be posting in the 1st place..OOhhh controversy...god we love it !!!!

You know who you are !!!!

hit me with yer best shot....fire away !!!

*Keep in mind I use "you" in the general sense, not particularly towards you scsi*

I asked if anyone knew anything about Chris Rea that I didn't. F**k this garbage where everyone is so concerned about who posts what. This is a F*****g forum, not a F*****g literature magazine. The purpose of this forum is to enjoy a community filled with like minded individuals who enjoy deadpooling or are interested in the subject of death. As long as what you post legitimately contributes to your interactions with other members on the forum, then people should quit F*****g whining about "post quality." If you're not interested in a member's posts, then you're probably not interacting with that person. And if it really bothers you that much, then there's a handy "ignore" button in your profile that I have put to good use, and I'm certain that people could put to good against me or anyone else whose posts they don't care about. But I'm sick and tired of everyone just sitting here and bitching about post quality. I'm sure we get enough bitching in our real lives, do we really need more here? Just enjoy yourself and if there's something you don't like, just ignore it and go on with your DL experience.

Please?

*EDIT* I just got warned by Notapotato for "cluttering up the forums." I don't need to be insulted here thank you very much. Obviously no one wants me around, so I won't return. There's a big world out there.

That sounds about right from what I've heard. Although I realize that this an older thread, it doesn't look like he's going to be a viable candidate for some years yet, unless someone knows something I don't (which is quite possible).

Wow, what the hell is your problem? I asked a legitimate question.

ok well I've tried and I've tried but hey...I honestly do not see a question here at all, or is it just me!!! quality not quantity rings a bell here..hmmm sounds familiar these days. all it says to me is that a Rank system overseen by Mods is needed now...it's getting to the stage that too many people feel things are getting sour..posts for posts sake..ya know....get my quota up, I have to agree with the majority now it really is getting silly, and If ya don't know what I'm referring too then perhaps you shouldn't be posting in the 1st place..OOhhh controversy...god we love it !!!!

You know who you are !!!!

hit me with yer best shot....fire away !!!

*Keep in mind I use "you" in the general sense, not particularly towards you scsi*

I asked if anyone knew anything about Chris Rea that I didn't. F**k this garbage where everyone is so concerned about who posts what. This is a F*****g forum, not a F*****g literature magazine. The purpose of this forum is to enjoy a community filled with like minded individuals who enjoy deadpooling or are interested in the subject of death. As long as what you post legitimately contributes to your interactions with other members on the forum, then people should quit F*****g whining about "post quality." If you're not interested in a member's posts, then you're probably not interacting with that person. And if it really bothers you that much, then there's a handy "ignore" button in your profile that I have put to good use, and I'm certain that people could put to good against me or anyone else whose posts they don't care about. But I'm sick and tired of everyone just sitting here and bitching about post quality. I'm sure we get enough bitching in our real lives, do we really need more here? Just enjoy yourself and if there's something you don't like, just ignore it and go on with your DL experience.

Please?

*EDIT* I just got warned by Notapotato for "cluttering up the forums." I don't need to be insulted here thank you very much. Obviously no one wants me around, so I won't return. There's a big world out there.

Canadian Paul, you obviously have not been too happy here recently, :rolleyes: so a trip into the big world out there is maybe just what you need. :)

Do drop in again in a few months' time. It's always good to hear how departed DLers are getting along. :crossbone:

Another deathlister implodes. Don't know about cluttering. It's bloody quiet tonight. It must have been like this in England's leafy lanes before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour and suddenly our cozy little villages were overun by our new allies, "overpaid, oversexed and over here". Looks like they have retreated in to a new era of isolationism. All it needed was an original and witty ripost. But I suppose that was the problem. Whatever happened to great American (and Canadian?) humour? I blame Friends.

In the films it was always sorted by a good punchup in the pub with "roll out the barrel" playing in the background. Then the Americans went on to win the war.

Returning back to Chris Rea briefly if I may, last year I had to hire a car to drive from London to Scotland, which bizarrely was a brand new Ford Ka with a f***ing tape player installed! This ruined my plans of listening to my own fantastic choons (or is that choonz, I forget) as I'd unwisely invested in CD's thinking they might catch on....

Anyway, after putting up with radio for as long as I could, I stopped at a service station to see if they still had any tapes worth buying.

2 different Chris B***ard Rea greatest hits albums, and nothing else!

Surely the grave awaits this man, if there's any justice in this world? :crossbone:

I was also surprised his greatest hits would take up two tapes, surely even one would be on the generous side?

On the plus side, I did get to hear of Richard Whiteley's demise on a radio newsflash because of this lack of musical choice, so I know where I was & what I was doing when the great man passed away... :rolleyes:

Just checked his discography to see if I hated any of his other songs, and apparently he also did 'Fool (If You Think It's Over)'.

If I didn't know better I'd presume he'd written it in the last few days as a response to this thread. :o

I can't save you, but if it's any consolation my mind is also in Rea overload, except it's the horrific high pitched guitar bit from 'on the beach' that's doing the damage to me rather than the gravel voice.

Misery loves company? It's not helping me at the moment. :o

This ain’t no technological breakdown

Oh no, this is the road to hell....

At the moment, discussing the Balkans (on a different thread) is making my brain hurt less than this.

Mark Knoffler and Chris Rea are forming a supergroup.

Dire - Rea

Mark Knoffler and Chris Rea are forming a supergroup.

Dire - Rea

A very suitable name for them too. Perhaps they could invite Mick Hucknall to join them, just before they perform in space, sans space suits.

If that was then presented on an 11 CD/DVD gatefold box set, I'd happily buy it just for the poster of their final and greatest performance. :o

11 Chris Rea CD's isn't just too much for the attention span of adolescents, it's too much for an entire planet as far as I'm concerned.

There's loads of others - Fool if you Think It's Over, Tell Me There's a Heaven, Stains on Girls (might've got this one a bit wrong) but, well a few anyway. The first two above 'Fool' and 'Tell me' have also been taken over for football chants although I haven't heard either chant for about a decade.

There's loads of others - Fool if you Think It's Over, Tell Me There's a Heaven, Stains on Girls (might've got this one a bit wrong) but, well a few anyway. The first two above 'Fool' and 'Tell me' have also been taken over for football chants although I haven't heard either chant for about a decade.

As I'm sure you well know, the song is entitled Stainsby Girls, which is pretty funny in itself. :D

I wonder if Mr Rea can be contacted to confirm which stains (and by what girls) he's droning on about in that special gravelly voice of his...

As the great Mr A. Partridge once said in an imaginary conversation with Chris Rea,

"Alright Chris!", "Hello Alan I didn’t know you’d moved in", "Yeah, just moved in, last week. I’m having a barbecue, fancy coming over?", "I’d love to! Do you mind if I bring my guitar?", "I’d rather you didn’t, it’s not that kind of area." "Do you like Mini Kiev’s?", "I love them! But my wife’s vegetarian", "Doesn’t matter. She can have fish", [gradually getting irritated] "No she won’t eat that either", "Oh forget it!". You people. :lol:

Guest Bart Starkle

such a tragic scene

what's atragic scene? why don't drive-by's post any sense? anyway, 'fool' was alright when elkie brooks did it. and i'll fight anyone who says different about mrs bookbinder's daughter.

Fool if you think it's over; may well be his best known song. And didn't he make some unlikely hit with a dance act like Bently Rythmn Ace or one of them?

Pretty much nailed on death sometime in the next decade, and people will immediately talking up "What a miss": aye, and he could have gone at any point in 20 years...

There's an interview with him on the pages of the Express but I can't access it.

16 hours ago, gcreptile said:

There's an interview with him on the pages of the Express but I can't access it.

Haven't tried accessing the interview but doubtless it's partly to drum up interest for the forthcoming tour. Someone insurable to tour isn't likely to go right away.

Link: https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/chris-rea-tickets

Oh great, make me read the fucking Express!

Right. Still on medication to keep the pancreatic cancer at bay (they saved him by removing his pancreas and shitloads of other stuff, but the risk of relapse is pretty much constant). Last year, he had a massive stroke. He's heavily diabetic. His balance is permanently fecked from the stroke. 

Probably not in immediate danger, but he likely wont "make old bones", as folk like to say on here. 66 now, so the clock is ticking...

“I’ve got my little bag with luminous tape on it so I don’t leave it in hotels.” Chris pulls out the large washbag and shows me all the medication he needs to get through the day. “There’s insulin, all the enzymes... because when you lose the whole of your pancreas, it’s more than being diabetic because your pancreas also dealt with fat. There’s not many people in the world who have totally lost their pancreas.”

By his own admission, his beautiful new album is at times “melancholic”, but Chris says his illnesses have made him appreciate life more.

“I’m preaching since (losing) the pancreas and the diabetes, ‘Learn to live life, see the clouds, feel the wind, there’s so many things that you think are important actually aren’t’. We’re all wrapped up in, ‘What kind of car do I get next?’ and all that stuff.”

What got him through it all?

“It’s music and family with me. I’m only one of four, that’s how I am. I’m 25 per cent of a unit. It’s always been that way and we like it that way.  In between that there’s music. Music is a saviour for me. That’s where I am lucky.”

25 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh great, make me read the fucking Express!

Right. Still on medication to keep the pancreatic cancer at bay (they saved him by removing his pancreas and shitloads of other stuff, but the risk of relapse is pretty much constant). Last year, he had a massive stroke. He's heavily diabetic. His balance is permanently fecked from the stroke. 

Probably not in immediate danger, but he likely wont "make old bones", as folk like to say on here. 66 now, so the clock is ticking...

Thank you. So 69 club then....

Didn't someone put him into a deadpool last year and had everyone guessing? Did that person know about the stroke?

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Thank you. So 69 club then....

Didn't someone put him into a deadpool last year and had everyone guessing? Did that person know about the stroke?

More he's an outlier for the Whipple Procedure but if he's able to get insurance for a tour....Michael Jackson got insurance for a tour...  nah keeping him on me list.  Hopefully he'll prove a veritable Clive Dunn for me.

Aye well

Death's door or not, there's a new album:

61GQEaOez7L._SY355_PJautoripBadge,Bottom

On 23/09/2017 at 13:29, Youwanticewiththat said:

More he's an outlier for the Whipple Procedure but if he's able to get insurance for a tour....Michael Jackson got insurance for a tour...  nah keeping him on me list.  Hopefully he'll prove a veritable Clive Dunn for me.

Jacko would be a different case because he was - apparently - being cared for by a doctor and wasn't dragging a shit-load of near-death medical evidence behind him. It's notable, for example, that Bowie never toured after his heart problems. The obits tended to discuss him living quietly in New York but nobody really discussed whether he wanted to tour. Anyone underwriting him going from country to country would need assurance a massive crew and stage would be paid off if his heart gave out again. Rea tours northern Europe and plays a few thousand seats a night over a few weeks so it's a smaller operation (not least because he's not dragging his own staging beind him and doubtless everything from the hotels to the number of paid support staff is a relatively modest operation); so anyone signing off on that is only risking a few million (like maybe two million) tops. And Rea's stage act isn't exactly dangerous or athletic.

• Like 3