Magere Hein

The Deathlist Howto

Why can't I cross out the names of the dead celebrities in my signature? or paint them red or blue? Why can't I have a normal looking signature at all?

I would contribute much more to this forum if I did not suspect that  someone  is placing obstacles in my way. :angry:

11 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Why can't I cross out the names of the dead celebrities in my signature? or paint them red or blue? Why can't I have a normal looking signature at all?

I would contribute much more to this forum if I did not suspect that  someone  is placing obstacles in my way. :angry:

Guessing you are on mobile? 

I'll have a look on my laptop at your sig when I get in from work later (unless another admin looks into it first)   I don't quite know why your sig is so small.  Was it a copy and paste job? You should be able to use and to strike through. Similar thing with colours. 

• Like 1

It’s true I’ve just never mentioned it.  The STRIKEOUT option is not available on my iPhone access to DL, as seen in this screenshot.

SC

5FB325C4-9900-4957-9A37-1B555777C526.png

testing 

Seems to work on my phone. 

Edited by Paul Bearer

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

It’s true I’ve just never mentioned it.  The STRIKEOUT option is not available on my iPhone access to DL, as seen in this screenshot.

SC

5FB325C4-9900-4957-9A37-1B555777C526.png

Did you use the [] [\] ? 

@Paul Bearer I think TPB means when posting on a thread, you get all the options:

Thread-Post.jpg

However, when you go to enter a signature, you get fewer options:

Signature.jpg

@ThePrematureBurial If you use something like Microsoft Word or the reply to this topic on any thread, you can copy and paste it into your signature. Obviously, if you use the latter, don't click on Submit Reply, just erase what you've written and exit the thread.

• Thanks 1

I logged on this morning and there were 6 members and 280+ guests. Normal? Bots? Or has Deathlist gotten some publicity? 

Currently Youtube videos are not embedding here, but I have just successfully posted one on another forum site which appears to use the same software as this one.  Could somebody who is good at techknowledgy look into this please, as it suggests that the problem may be here and not at YT?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Toast said:

Currently Youtube videos are not embedding here, but I have just successfully posted one on another forum site which appears to use the same software as this one.  Could somebody who is good at techknowledgy look into this please, as it suggests that the problem may be here and not at YT?

They stopped embedding around the middle of November. The weird thing is the ones posted up to that point are still embedding.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/9479-what-are-you-listening-to-right-now/?page=34&tab=comments#comment-408726

24 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

They stopped embedding around the middle of November. The weird thing is the ones posted up to that point are still embedding.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/9479-what-are-you-listening-to-right-now/?page=34&tab=comments#comment-408726

Yes, but I just posted a YT link on another forum and it embedded as usual there. 

This is how you Deathlist.  
While at work.

CF574161-29CD-42D1-A6F1-50522A8E1995.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like @Cat O'Falk has gone full fucking rain-man......

Creating a spreadsheet for threads sort it can be sorted by start date (something you can do on site anyway) and so it can be searched for terms fewer than four characters (something you can do via google anyway)....

Even more bizarrelly he's sharing it by Youtube......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37hNbDr_dcU&feature=youtu.be

:lol::lol: I know this forum is full of nutters with too much time on their hands, but fucking hell......

Yes, and he also produced pdf friendly versions for me. Very useful, and beyond the call of duty.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, and he also produced pdf friendly versions for me. Very useful, and beyond the call of duty.

You do realise you can sort the fucking forum by start date already, I've honestly no clue what the usefulness of this fucking spreadsheet is to anybody having PMed Cat to ask? If anyone could fill in the gaps I might think him less a lunatic and more an anorak.........

But kudos to Cat for the effort, if someone finds it useful :scratchhead: :) 

I find the search engine on this site to be rather clunky, to the point where if you are looking for a thread title it can be often easier to go "Ideas and possibilities for 2015 site:forums.deathlist.net" on Google. (Thread name picked at random!) And Google can be an arse at times in actually working properly.

Cat's thing has all the thread titles in the one place, so if you know where the thing you want is, you can find it faster than faffing with the search above. (Of course, if you can't remember where it was you saw it, you need to bumble around with the forum search - but each tool is only as useful in context of others...)

This is helpful for nabbing info needed when running a deadpool, but it's more than that. Beyond all the ranting and "Die immortal person" posts, this forum has been running for nearly 20 years and has a hidden wealth of information and stats about people, health conditions and just folk anecdoting about their love of music, obscure science and what not. Making it a useful tool in several day to day scenarios. [As one example, recently being able to cite Jim Marrs in a commission thanks to Maryport chatting about him several years ago!]

I'm not sure why Cat wanted to create it in the first place (never argue with someones inner Feynman), but it will help in certain types of search easier and so it is a useful tool here.

Well, you DID ask...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

I find the search engine on this site to be rather clunky, to the point where if you are looking for a thread title it can be often easier to go "Ideas and possibilities for 2015 site:forums.deathlist.net" on Google. (Thread name picked at random!) And Google can be an arse at times in actually working properly.

Cat's thing has all the thread titles in the one place, so if you know where the thing you want is, you can find it faster than faffing with the search above. (Of course, if you can't remember where it was you saw it, you need to bumble around with the forum search - but each tool is only as useful in context of others...)

This is helpful for nabbing info needed when running a deadpool, but it's more than that. Beyond all the ranting and "Die immortal person" posts, this forum has been running for nearly 20 years and has a hidden wealth of information and stats about people, health conditions and just folk anecdoting about their love of music, obscure science and what not. Making it a useful tool in several day to day scenarios. [As one example, recently being able to cite Jim Marrs in a commission thanks to Maryport chatting about him several years ago!]

I'm not sure why Cat wanted to create it in the first place (never argue with someones inner Feynman), but it will help in certain types of search easier and so it is a useful tool here.

Well, you DID ask...

I've never had an issue with site:deathlist.net for search purposes - at least to the point where I've considered a separate spreadsheet for those purposes.....

As I said if other people need it then fair play to COF for creating something that's usefulness is clearly for superior beings to myself.

Given the tools I've ever needed for running a deadpool stretch to

• Google Search
  • About 50 x obit pages in newspapers for about 5 countries
  • An FFBI filter that has to be ran on every name entered.
  • An alphabetizer
  • A calculator
  • Google translate
  • Wikipedia pages
  • Foreign wikipedia pages
  • Google spreadsheets.....
  • PM
  • Deathlist thread
  • Pen and Paper for rough work
  • Sir Creep's post history.......
  • A uselessly wide knowledge of films about cancer mums......
  • A clock
  • A stopwatch.......
  • Scannning the Deathrace thread on New Years Eve for Sean's inevitable entry
  • A nosey habit of checking people's profiles out of nosiness that catches them trying to enter my deadpool via status update (which I receive no notification of....)

I'm loathed to add another one I see little use in, but if others find it useful each to their own. 

48 minutes ago, Deathray said:

It was a short video to give you a good idea of what was on offer. It wasn't meant to be used in place of the real thing. The actual document would have been placed in a dropbox so you could download it.

Just now, Cat O'Falk said:

It was a short video to give you a good idea of what was on offer. It wasn't meant to be used in place of the real thing. The actual document would have been placed in a dropbox so you could download it.

This is the 21st century! Who still uses Microsoft when Google is about (and free for skinties like me)....

Either way thanks but no thanks and kudos for the hard work as it appears at least one person gets it.....

I think it's handy to have a complete list of thread titles for reference.  Then if you are thinking of starting a topic, you can scan down the list to see if there already is something similar.  A search won't necessarily pick it up, as thread titles can be a bit abstruse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I think it's handy to have a complete list of thread titles for reference.  Then if you are thinking of starting a topic, you can scan down the list to see if there already is something similar.  A search won't necessarily pick it up, as thread titles can be a bit abstruse.

Who gives a fuck? If you start a duplicate thread we have mighty moderators who can actually merge it for you, it takes them a few seconds and is part of their fucking remit.....

This is the sort of retarded obsessiveness that killed the fun in deadpooling (you, accept that I know you do, we've talked about it) and it's at risk of killing the fun in this forums and turning into even more have a low-functioning aspergers (by the way it's autism now not aspergers according to the DSM so update the 'spastic dispensation section' of your job applications for your civil service and third sector non-jobs folks :))  neurotic cesspit than it has been in the past.

LFN is right, fucking hell did I just say that? Again LFN is right, this place really has gone down the fucking toilet of late.....

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I was looking for a quote in the "what do people think of the 2011 list" type thread and couldn't find it for ages by search until I actually went looking up a specific post. The thread for 2011 was started by Davey Jones Locker and was called "GOOD LIST". Good list FFS.

That's not even historically accurate in retrospect!

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

(by the way it's autism now not aspergers according to the DSM so update the 'spastic dispensation section'

Aye, so there's this brain issue that's basically: folk need things to be structured and specific so they can function properly. Everything as it was.

And now science has gone and changed the name of their illness for them.

Bit insensitive, really. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Looks like @Cat O'Falk has gone full fucking rain-man......

Creating a spreadsheet for threads sort it can be sorted by start date (something you can do on site anyway) and so it can be searched for terms fewer than four characters (something you can do via google anyway)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37hNbDr_dcU&feature=youtu.be

:lol::lol: I know this forum is full of nutters with too much time on their hands, but fucking hell......

By the way, you really shouldn't be posting peoples stuff from PMs on the forum.