Magere Hein

The Deathlist Howto

Now here's a mystery, there's one unregistered surfer and one member - me - online and I still get flood control when I try to post.

What's gannin' on, like?

• Like 1

I'd like to know something about the message one gets while a page is loading, e.g. after logging in;

Please wait while we transfer you...

(or click here if you do not wish to wait)

The something I'm curious about is, does the clicking achieve anything or is it just something to do while one's waiting?

While I was working through the backlog of Admin tasks I found those settings and switched them on again.

The return of the stats from their long soggiorne elsewhere has brought to my attention just how many new members are joining on a daily basis. I had a look: we've had sixty (sixty!) new members join in the past month - a multiplicitous twenty-six (twenty-six!!) in the past week alone!

Where have they all come from? Where are they all going? And why, whilst here, are most of them not posting even though they've gone to the effort of joining?

While I was working through the backlog of Admin tasks I found those settings and switched them on again.

The return of the stats from their long soggiorne elsewhere has brought to my attention just how many new members are joining on a daily basis. I had a look: we've had sixty (sixty!) new members join in the past month - a multiplicitous twenty-six (twenty-six!!) in the past week alone!

Where have they all come from? Where are they all going? And why, whilst here, are most of them not posting even though they've gone to the effort of joining?

A sizeable chunk of that number are spammers, who join in order to start a thread advertising their dubious websites.

Magere Hein quickly bans them.

A sizeable chunk of that number are spammers, who join in order to start a thread advertising their dubious websites.

Oh, I see. But still... sixty!!

I'm wrong the spammers who are banned don't show up on the members list, so the amount you refer to are genuine members.

Buggered if I know why they don't post though.

I'm wrong the spammers who are banned don't show up on the members list, so the amount you refer to are genuine members.

Buggered if I know why they don't post though.

Perhaps we put them off with our rapier wit, intellectual analysis, incredible insight, and fantastic punctuation, grammar and syntax?

If you are here around about 7.30 a.m you can have the pleasure of reading these posts before they are banned ie :party:

If you are here around about 7.30 a.m you can have the pleasure of reading these posts before they are banned ie :party:

Well, that depends on what time I rise and have my morning coffee. I assure you that there's no better way of cheering up than having a strong black coffee while banning a spammer or two.

As for the numbers: banned members cannot be found in the Member List, but they do count in the statistics. There are 32 banned members at this moment, 31 of whom are spammers.

regards,

Hein

Since posting this last Saturday (aka one week ago) 36 new members have joined. Of these, only 9 have posted, and of those nine only 3 have posted more than once.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that so many people are joining the forum of late? Every time I log on, there's a new 'newest member' listed at the bottom of the page.

If you are here around about 7.30 a.m you can have the pleasure of reading these posts before they are banned ie ;)

Hi!!!!!! U like computer? I do! :)

See sexy webcamb girls in Russia!!!

Sexy 4 u!

Computer parts!!!!1111

Forum moderators are the bestest :):):)

Go deathlist.net!

Massive size pens!

Boo George W! :rip:

Happy!

Ok! Bye bye now! Have good time! See you sosn! :):):):):):):):):):)

The DeathList HOWTO v. 1.04

This is a list of technical issues that newbie users often have trouble with. It is a work in progress, so feel free to add issues and comments, either by posting them, or by PM'ing (Private Messaging) the author.

1. How do I search the forum?
    There's more than one answer to that question.

1. Quick search of a forum
      1. Go to the forum you want to search
      2. In the box at the bottom of the screen, labelled "Search this forum:" fill in the words you want to search for
      3. Click the button labelled "Go"

This way you can search on multiple words. Unfortunately, this search returns a list of topics in which the words occur, so finding the post means visual inspection of each topic.

==========

[*]Slower search, with options

1. Click the link labelled "Search" at the top of the screen
        1a. But not the box marked "Search Deathlist" :lol:
      2. Fill in a word to search for in the box labelled "Search by Keywords". Unfortunately, this search only works with either single words or multiple words that appear in a post in exactly the same order as they're typed in this box.
      3. If so desired, enter the name of a member in the box labelled "Filter by Member Name (optional)". Make sure the name is spelt correctly, otherwise no posts are found.
      4. Select a forum, or all fora, in the listbox labelled "Search Where"
      5. Select "Any date" in the listbox labelled "Search posts from..."
      6. Set other options in the boxes labelled "Refine Search". Selecting "Show results as posts" is a useful one.
      7. Click the button labelled "Perform the search."

==========

[*]How do I post a link to a web site (URL)?

1. Copy the URL from your web browser's Location bar
      2. Click the button labelled "http://"
      3. Paste the URL
      4. Click the button labelled "OK"
      5. Type a description of the web site
      6. Click the button labelled "OK"

==========

[*]How do I post a link to a another post on this forum?

1. Find the post you want to link to
      2. Click the link above the post, labelled "Posted:"
      3. Copy the URL from the pop-up box
      4. Return to the edit window of your new post
      5. Click the button labelled "http://"
      6. Paste the URL
      7. Click the button labelled "OK"
      8. Type a description of the post
      9. Click the button labelled "OK"

==========

[*]How do I post a picture in a post?

1. Click the IMG button
      2. Copy and paste the URL where the picture is located in the box that pops up. eg. http://www.cyborgname.com/webimages/chi2-JOSCO.png (Thanks Josco for the example)
      3. Click OK.

(Answer by football_fan, 30451)

==========

[*]How do I get a picture from my computer on the Web?

1. Point your web browser to ImageShack
      2. Click the button labelled "Browse..."
      3. Locate the picture on your computer
      4. Click the button labelled "host it!"
      5. Copy the URL from the box labelled "Hot links for forums"

There are similar free picture hosting sites on the Web, see this list.

==========

[*]How do I set an avatar?

1. Find a nice avatar on the web. If you already have one on your computer skip to step 6
      2. Right-click the picture with your mouse
      3. Choose "Save Image As..." (or whatever that's called on your computer)
      4. Save the picture on your computer
      5. Remember the location and file name of the picture
      6. Point your web browser to DeathList.net forum
      7. Log in
      8. Go to your Control Panel
      9. Edit your Avatar settings
      10. Remove the URL
      11. Click the button labelled "Browse"
      12. Select the picture you saved in step 5
      13. Click the button labelled "Update Avatar"

==========

[*]How would I go about quoting several different people in a post while preserving the QUOTE information?

There's a way to let your browser and the forum software do the entering of the poster and date/time of post. Here's how.

1. Click button labelled "Quote" of first post to be quoted.
      2. In edit window, click button labelled "Preview Message".
      3. In new edit window, copy all text.
      4. If you're done, goto 9.
      5. Hit back button twice.
      6. Click button labelled "Quote" in next post to be quoted.
      7. Paste all text in edit window.
      8. Goto 2.
      9. Sort out mess.

==========

regards,

Hein

Thank you. My question is -How do you become a moderator?

Thank you. My question is -How do you become a moderator?

If you have to ask, you don't need to know.

This isn't so much a "how to?" as a "what if?" but I didn't know where else to post it so I've put it here. This question may have been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

And I'm curious...

Right. There are various UK deadpools that require a UK obit, right? Using the DDP as an example: if one of your team members dies and they don't get a UK obit, then they're crossed off your team but you don't get the all-important points. That's fair enough and I understand it.

So what would happen if one of the DL candidates graduated but didn't receive a UK obit? Assumedly they'd have to be crossed off the list or we'd wind up with zillions of guests "helping us out" by pointing out the fact that we missed a death. Would the number-out-of-50 simply not go up by one? Is there DL precedent for this?

Does it say anything in the unwritten rules about how to deal with this situation?

This isn't so much a "how to?" as a "what if?" but I didn't know where else to post it so I've put it here. This question may have been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

And I'm curious...

Right. There are various UK deadpools that require a UK obit, right? Using the DDP as an example: if one of your team members dies and they don't get a UK obit, then they're crossed off your team but you don't get the all-important points. That's fair enough and I understand it.

So what would happen if one of the DL candidates graduated but didn't receive a UK obit? Assumedly they'd have to be crossed off the list or we'd wind up with zillions of guests "helping us out" by pointing out the fact that we missed a death. Would the number-out-of-50 simply not go up by one? Is there DL precedent for this?

Does it say anything in the unwritten rules about how to deal with this situation?

My last reading of the unwritten rules led me to understand that a UK obit is not required for DL purposes. If the candidate dies, that's enough for us.

I see that the JD Salinger thread has a little white penisy thingy in front of it! ---> attachicon.gif

Oh! Its a different sort of attachment! :shoot2:

Is there anyone out there who can explain what these things are for, and how to use them? I've noticed a reference to them in My Controls but I'm still not sure if they can be put to good use. Are there any issues we should know about before we all decide we want one?

Size?

Bandwidth?

Storage space?

I see that the JD Salinger thread has a little white penisy thingy in front of it! ---> attachicon.gif

Is there anyone out there who can explain what these things are for, and how to use them? I've noticed a reference to them in My Controls but I'm still not sure if they can be put to good use. Are there any issues we should know about before we all decide we want one?

Size?

Bandwidth?

Storage space?

Appending attachments is possible. Use it carefully. There are currently no limits, but should it become a popular thing I may well add a few.

regards,

Hein

Size?

Bandwidth?

Storage space?

Penisy?

Size?

Bandwidth?

Storage space?

Penisy?

OK, I suppose they are usually a bit bigger than that! :D

Size?

Bandwidth?

Storage space?

Penisy?

OK, I suppose they are usually a bit bigger than that! :D

Really? How much bigger? My friend asks...

And I'm curious...

My last reading of the unwritten rules led me to understand that a UK obit is not required for DL purposes. If the candidate dies, that's enough for us.

Noted.

But then what's the "famousness test" candidates are required to pass? I mean, if they don't require a UK obit then technically anybody could be on the list.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007050153,00.html

(ps - how does one turn the url above into a short summary of what the article's about? If a clever mod could fix and explain, that would be nice.)

Aha, Howto material!

Method 1:

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard of your computer.
  2. Click button labelled hyperlink.gif
  3. Remove the 'http://' bit
  4. Paste URL from clipboard
  5. Click Ok or press Enter
  6. Type summary
  7. Click Ok or press Enter

Method 2:

1. Write summary
  2. Copy the URL to the clipboard of your computer.
  3. Select text of summary
  4. Click button labelled hyperlink.gif
  5. Remove the 'http://' bit
  6. Paste URL from clipboard
  7. Click Ok or press Enter

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

--snip-- (*watering eyes*)

Penisy?

OK, I suppose they are usually a bit bigger than that! :P

Really? How much bigger? My friend asks...

Better ask Josco. :D I understand that his little man is the next size up!

P.S. It seems, somehow, only natural that M. Thatcher also has one!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007050153,00.html

(ps - how does one turn the url above into a short summary of what the article's about? If a clever mod could fix and explain, that would be nice.)

Aha, Howto material!

Method 1:

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard of your computer.
  2. Click button labelled hyperlink.gif
  3. Paste URL from clipboard
  4. Click Ok or press Enter
  5. Type summary
  6. Click Ok or press Enter

Method 2:

1. Write summary
  2. Copy the URL to the clipboard of your computer.
  3. Select text of summary
  4. Click button labelled hyperlink.gif
  5. Paste URL from clipboard
  6. Click Ok or press Enter

regards,

Hein

This doesn't work for me, it looks like it has but then when you click the link to check it takes you to a HTTP page thing. Is it because I am using Firefox, or is it because I am thick and doing it wrong?

Here's an example

That should be a link to Pedro Knight's death. But when I click it it goes to a page of guff.

• Like 1

Here's an example

That should be a link to Pedro Knight's death. But when I click it it goes to a page of guff.

You've got the http:// in twice. I've left it on your post, but corrected it on this post. Would you prefer me to correct yours?