Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

Halloween

Halloween is taking over fom Guy Fawkes Night now - they are even marketing fireworks as "Halloween fireworks." As for trick or treat, give it back to the Yanks -we don't want it. :banghead: Round here the young hoodlums don't want sweets -it's "give us money or we'll brick your windows". Something else we have America to thank for. And why do they start it about two weeks before, like carol singing or something?

Bah!

Halloween is taking over fom Guy Fawkes Night now - they are even marketing fireworks as "Halloween fireworks." As for trick or treat, give it back to the Yanks -we don't want it. :banghead: Round here the young hoodlums don't want sweets -it's "give us money or we'll brick your windows". Something else we have America to thank for. And why do they start it about two weeks before, like carol singing or something?

Bah!

I agree. The Brits don't know how to celebrate Hallowe'en; it's been adopted into the culture but only in a superficial way - based on what is shown on TV and in films.

I think that in North America Hallowe'en is a great thing to celebrate. I'd be hard-pressed to say what it's really about (what it's based on etc.) though I do remember learning about it in school. But it's an intrinsic part of the culture and as a child growing up, it really was a fantastic time every year. I've had some Hallowe'en costumes that I'm particularly proud of!

I think that the idea of getting money instead of candy is Hallowe'en being morphed with Guy Fawkes. Maybe we're witnessing the birth of a new celebration and in 50 years' time we can say things like "I remember when...!" with regard to the genesis of HallowGuy.

And BTW - losing the origins of Guy Fawkes is maybe not such a bad thing...?

According to some Christians Halloween is a "very evil tradition"

:banghead:

We were in the pub Saturday evening (watching Man U get hammered) and some horrid urchins came in demanding "trick or treat". I pointed out to them we were hardly likely to have any candy, sorry, sweets on us sat in the pub, now were we. But clearly they wanted cash. My friend told them to "£*%# off", which would ordinarily be a little harsh to say to an eight year old, but seemed apt in this circumstance. A guy at a neighbouring table challenged them what they were going to do as a trick if he gave them nothing. Which he did.

Like most things, if it isn't done properly Halloween is a pretty crappy activity.

According to some Deathlisters, Christianity is a "very evil tradition".........

Compared to that Halloween is one of the lesser evils. I'm not quite sure about the origins of Halloween, but the date is of course very Christian, at least the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity.

regards,

Hein

Do you get all this "trick or treat" nonsense in your part of the world Hein?

Do you get all this "trick or treat" nonsense in your part of the world Hein?

No. Halloween is not a Dutch tradition, although Halloween parties are being held more often, I suppose as a US import.

In some parts of the country a similar feast is celebrated on 11 November in honour if St Martin, but it lacks the scary bits.

reagrds,

Hein

HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!!!

Plans for the day include carving a pumpkin and giving out Twizzlers and Tootsie Rolls to all the kiddies in the neighbourhood. I'm so excited!

Have a scary one... :ph34r:

ie+ :ghost6:

:devil2::ghost5::pop::skull::wheelchair::shoot2::referee::evil2::dead2::bombguy::angel5::2guns::old:

Halloween is taking over fom Guy Fawkes Night now - they are even marketing fireworks as "Halloween fireworks." As for trick or treat, give it back to the Yanks -we don't want it. :wheelchair: Round here the young hoodlums don't want sweets -it's "give us money or we'll brick your windows". Something else we have America to thank for. And why do they start it about two weeks before, like carol singing or something?

Bah!

May I unleash a fact from the Clive's NOT Done personal database:

I was scheduled to depart the foetal sack on Halloween 1967 but delayed my arrival until Bonfire night! (the same year)

Halloween was invented by dentists in order to make a bit of extra cash by rotting kids teeth.

It can't be easy being a dentist in the US with all those perfect teeth..... :wheelchair:

Whatever your view of Halloween is,

I hope everybody has an absolutelyhorrific one.

... and that's a post-twunt.

:ghost5::angel5::2guns::evil2::wheelchair::bombguy::referee:Congrats! :devil2::ghost6::shoot2::dead2::ph34r::skull::pop:

Wait a sec - I thought 1000 was Twunt, and anything after was post-twunt!! Oh well, I've got a long ways to go before it applies to me, so plenty of time to learn...

Just disregard this message until it applies... :old:

Edited by in eternum+

Congratulations on becoming a twunt Tempus.

I hadn't noticed Halloween here until a new chain of shops selling cheap crap made by Chinese convicts, with a very big advertising budget opened about 15 years ago. Just another marketing opportunity I suppose.

It can't be easy being a dentist in the US with all those perfect teeth..... :wheelchair:

ah, Mr. Windsor, that's where you're wrong. Americans aren't born with perfect teeth, they get them courtesy of their dentists. It's every American kids' God given duty to get braces, usually around age 13, as if kids don't have enough problems at that age. Next is the steady diet of tooth cleaning and doses of fluoride, at least twice a year. Then, at some point out come the wisdom teeth. Upon reaching adulthood, one is shamed by a series of TV commericals into feeling one must get one's teeth whitened. Next comes capping, then, finally, dentures as one turns old.

My dentist drove a Porsche, probably half paid for by my parents.

........... the origins of Guy Fawkes is maybe not such a bad thing...?

Or 5/11 as we have come to know it as now

I've just carved my pumpkin! It's rather fetching, if I do say so myself. Which I do. :wheelchair:

Never carved one in my life. Maybe next year.

I highly recommend it - very fulfilling. Good times! :wheelchair:

I've just carved my pumpkin! It's rather fetching, if I do say so myself. Which I do. :)

It was always turnips we carved when I was a kid. Nowadays I have a pottery pumpkin that you put a candle in, saves on all the mess.