Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

Halloween

I've just carved my pumpkin! It's rather fetching, if I do say so myself. Which I do.  :)

It was always turnips we carved when I was a kid. Nowadays I have a pottery pumpkin that you put a candle in, saves on all the mess.

Right enough, turnips it was. Smellt bloody awful when you put a candle inside.

Apparently, it was always turnips originally, but when those good folks wandered off to America, they couldn't find any turnips there and apparently hadn't thought of taking any with them. So they used pumpkins instead which were quite plentiful.

Always said America was an awful place.

• Like 1

According to some Christians Halloween is a "very evil tradition"

:)

According to some Deathlisters, Christianity is a "very evil tradition".........

Not to put any die hard Christians down, but in my

opinion simply enjoying life is turning your back

on Christianity.

And here she is, my seasonal masterpiece:

pumpkin20dj.jpg

She is currently gracing the front stoop, awaiting ghouls and goblins. :)

• Like 1

And here she is, my seasonal masterpiece:

pumpkin20dj.jpg

She is currently gracing the front stoop, awaiting ghouls and goblins.  :)

That's wonderful in eternum+, hope she gets visitied by losts of ghouls and goblins

• Like 1

That's wonderful in eternum+, hope she gets visitied by losts of ghouls and goblins

Thanks! I'm quite proud...

:)

drunk_pumpkin.jpg

Here's my little effort,

NOT.

Nice bit of pumpkin carving in eternum+

:lol::lol:

Cheers! :)

According to some Deathlisters, Christianity is a "very evil tradition".........

Compared to that Halloween is one of the lesser evils. I'm not quite sure about the origins of Halloween, but the date is of course very Christian, at least the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity.

regards,

Hein

As with many things, it's a traditional pagan festival jumped on by the early christians. Autumnal Equinox, big bonfires, harvest completed, celebration of the dying year... all that good stuff was taken over by 'All Saints Day' only for it to be re-established as a festival of the dead.

Then Wal-mart ruined it.

I love Halloween, especially the feeling of the wind in my hair as I ride round on my broomstick.

• Like 1

As with many things, it's a traditional pagan festival jumped on by the early christians. Autumnal Equinox, big bonfires, harvest completed, celebration of the dying year... all that good stuff was taken over by 'All Saints Day' only for it to be re-established as a festival of the dead.

Then Wal-mart ruined it.

Um, isn't the autumnal equinox in September? More than a month away from Hallowe'en.

Then Wal-mart ruined it.

Um, isn't the autumnal equinox in September? More than a month away from Hallowe'en.

Well, the pagans had so many celebrations...

Doesn't Halloween come from Samhain, the Pagan new year celebration?

If we were a pagan country we'd have lots more bank holidays.

Then Wal-mart ruined it.

Doesn't Halloween come from Samhain, the Pagan new year celebration?

Yup, another perfectly good excuse for ritual sacrifice turned into an evil celebration of semi-mythical pseudo-saints, many of whom were murderers.

We had some little kid at the door last night trick or treating, we gave him a bag made up of peanuts, maltesers, mars bar, monster munches crisps, and the ungrateful little S**t said " I don't like peanuts" Isn't it amazing the people that come to your door when you dont have a gun?

We had some little kid at the door last night trick or treating, we gave him a bag made up of peanuts, maltesers, mars bar, monster munches crisps, and the ungrateful little S**t said " I don't like peanuts"  Isn't it amazing the people that come to your door when you dont have a gun?

My wife and I gave smarties to one of the kids that came by and he wanted M & M's instead. :rip:

I had a group come to the door trick-or-treating, and the parents were collecting candy as well! And they weren't even dressed up!!

We didn't get anyone come to the door here. Now I'm feeling neglected.

There was an article somewhere a day or two ago saying that door-to-door trick-or-treating is less popular than it was and more kids are going to parties instead.

I don't suppose there would be much activity in the seventh layer of hell.

There was an article somewhere a day or two ago saying that door-to-door trick-or-treating is less popular than it was and more kids are going to parties instead.

I know! I was all prepared for the masses, and only got two groups! I was really disappointed.

When I was growing up the only time you went to a party instead of going out was if it was too cold or there was too much snow to make walking round the neighbourhood viable. Between trick-or-treating and going to a party, the latter was the lesser of the two options.

I wouldn't know. I bow to your superior knowledge, of course. :rip:

Naturally. :(

We had one solitary little witch on our doorstep. In years gone by we have lots more visitors.