DevonDeathTrip

Nick Du Toit / Simon Mann / Mark Thatcher

Nick Du Toit

who was jailed for 34 years for his part in the failed uprising in Equatorial Guinea, might be a good wildcard bet for 2006. He was the fall guy of the operation, whilst the bigger fish such as Mark Thatcher and Simon Mann got off comparatively lightly.

Amnesty International rank the prison system in E Guinea as one of the worst in the world, few inmates survive more than 3 years. As Mr Du Toit as been in the slammer for 2 years already and has another 31 to go and as he has been abandoned to his fate by those with friends in high places, he might just give up and die before too long. :D

I gather that the Black Beach prison is no cakewalk, but they tend to "look after" their inmates sufficiently well to ensure that full-term sentences are carried out, especially in the case of foreigners.

Suicide is particularly frowned upon by the screws, so I reckon Nick Du Twat stands a good chance of survival for at least the next 10 years.

Should have been Thatcher in his place, let's face it, we all wish it had been. Sorry Nick, wrong place, wrong time, wrong bedfellow, welcome to Black Beach. Cold showers once a week, breakfast is served at 0600. If you must try and pass yourself off as someone from a Frederick Forsyth novel, at least choose a paymaster who's not completely and utterly inept. Lesson learned?

I reckon Nick Du Twat stands a good chance of survival for at least the next 10 years.

If you call that living!

They tend to "look after" their inmates sufficiently well to ensure that full-term sentences are carried out, especially in the case of foreigners.

They didn't look after this foreigner very well:

German national Gerhard Eugen Nershz died on 17 March. The authorities said he

had died of "cerebral malaria with complications". He was transported to

hospital from the prison some hours before his death and people who saw him

reported that he appeared to have severe injuries caused by torture on his

hands and feet

He was arrested at the same time as Du Toit.

Damn shame Mark Thatcher never went.

i - He bloody deserved to.

ii - It would have drawn the rest of the world's attention to the grim realities of prison life in Equatorial Guinea.

The more I research this , the more sure I am that Nick will be a gonner in

The more I think about it, the less tolerable Black Beach seems. The name makes it sound more like an open prison, you know, satellite TV, private bathrooms, warm towel rails, that sort of thing. :huh: "Easiest time he'll ever do," I thought, "not exactly Shawshank, is it?" On reflection, however, it does seem a rather harsh regime. Makes "the Bar-L" look like Butlins.

Perhaps Mr. Du Toit won't fare so well after all. Oh well, you play with matches... :angel3:

Damn shame Mark Thatcher never went.

i - He bloody deserved to.

ii - It would have drawn the rest of the world's attention to the grim realities of prison life in Equatorial Guinea.

I heartily concur, on both counts. It'd be a bonus to reform the penal system in EG, but not before Thatcher has done the porridge he so justly deserves.

Thatcher is just about pig headed enough to do something as stupid again. I mean, Jeffrey Archer - despite the Cambridge education - seemed unable to learn from his mistakes.

Latest reports suggest my DDP joker is starving and vulnerable to disease.

Ah, so you were the one who picked him. At first I thought it was a bit of a foolish pick, especially for a joker, but after having read that article, I think you just might have a winner.

If it's not exaggerated that is.

Can't help but wonder about his succeptability(sp) to infectious diseases at a prison like that. I'll concur that he is a very strong pick. Close confines with poor sanitation, wretched treatment, malnutrition and plenty of malaria and whatever other microbes and viral agents are floating around.

They're starving and looking like 'skeletons.' It's refreshing to get a good pick from something other than age and infirmity.

They're starving and looking like 'skeletons.' It's refreshing to get a good pick from something other than age and infirmity.

I agree. I'm thinking of writing to Amnesty International to see if they will supply me with a list of their 20 "Most Endangered" prisoners. :D

Don't forget your friends; post us a few jpgs if you get any.

He might be getting a new cellmate.

Zimbabwe have denied this - which is as good as a definite confirmation for me.

It's amusing that Equatorial Guinea want Simon Mann so badly but nowhere near as grimly funny as this paragraph from the same story:

The application for Mann's extradition, confirmed by Zimbabwe's prosecuting authority on Monday, comes weeks after President Robert Mugabe lavishly entertained Equatorial Guinea's dictator, Teodoro Obiang Nguema.

Zimbabwe haven't got two readymeals to rub together and rampant inflation is putting bread beyond the reach of yer average punter. I wonder what counts as 'lavish' entertaining round those parts.

It's amusing that Equatorial Guinea want Simon Mann so badly but nowhere near as grimly funny as this paragraph from the same story:

The application for Mann's extradition, confirmed by Zimbabwe's prosecuting authority on Monday, comes weeks after President Robert Mugabe lavishly entertained Equatorial Guinea's dictator, Teodoro Obiang Nguema.

Zimbabwe haven't got two readymeals to rub together and rampant inflation is putting bread beyond the reach of yer average punter. I wonder what counts as 'lavish' entertaining round those parts.

Someone tell me who this guy is? I've never even heard of him.

Sure Banshees, I'm such a whore, I'll always be willing to crack out another post just to let you know that you should read the start of this thread to find out who he is. The latest chapter of his life, which brought him to DL attention, is quite interesting.

Here's what he looks like.

nickdutoit0le.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Black Beach Prison, Equatorial Guinea, say hello. He'll probably be a few pounds lighter than in this photo, in which we see his uncannily accurate Roger Moore impression.

Marius Boonzaaier is 'critically ill' beyond which they're saying nothing. If it's terminal or close to I guess he's got nothing to lose grassing up Mark Thatcher once and for all.

No news, DDT, but there is a BBC drama starring Robert Bathurst as Sir Mark Thatcher on next Friday (30th June) called Coup!

Whilst it will not help or hinder Mr. Du Toit's health, it might heighten interest in him from the media, and maybe an update on his condition.