DevonDeathTrip

Nick Du Toit / Simon Mann / Mark Thatcher

Simon Mann is reported to have cut a deal with prosecutors in Equatorial Guinea.

According to sources, the Old Etonian, 58, will stand trial in Equatorial Guinea's capital, Malabo, next month, and will name the coup plotters in court. One friend said he expected Mann to be sentenced to six years, with his four years served in Zimbabwe deducted, and that after a year he would be quietly released. But the deal will not apply unless the former officer... can substantiate his allegations.

So he could be out and ready to give far ranging interviews within a year. Whaddya reckon that does to his chances of living to see his bus pass?

The MPFC DDP 2009 team list starts here, assuming OoO keeps the bonus points for unnatural death.

The Equatorial Guinean attorney general José Olo Obono has issued an arrest warrant against Mark Thatcher. But no-one seems to know where this international man of mystery is...

Saw a small item in the Observer today suggesting Thatcher has married an heiress in Gibraltar, s'cuse the cynicism but I'm wondering if any of this - marriage/her money/Gibraltar connection - might strengthen his ability to stay out of jail.

Equatorial Guinea's exiled opposition leader Severo Moto, who is widely suspected of involvement in the botched coup that got Simon Mann and Nick Du Toit locked up, has been arrested in Spain on arms trafficking charges. I bet he's hoping that Spain maintain his refugee status, because if he were to be deported, the vengeance of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema would be unmerciful in the extreme.

[Edit - Just to add that some of Moto's alleged co-conspirators were arrested and tortured in Equatorial Guinea last month. One of them died in Black Beach Prison of a fractured skull after "falling out of bed" according to officials.]

...[Edit - Just to add that some of Moto's alleged co-conspirators were arrested and tortured in Equatorial Guinea last month. One of them died in Black Beach Prison of a fractured skull after "falling out of bed" according to officials.]

This happened to me one time, on a school holiday. Maybe they have bunk beds in Equatorial Quinea too?

...[Edit - Just to add that some of Moto's alleged co-conspirators were arrested and tortured in Equatorial Guinea last month. One of them died in Black Beach Prison of a fractured skull after "falling out of bed" according to officials.]

This happened to me one time, on a school holiday. Maybe they have bunk beds in Equatorial Quinea too?

What, you 'died' as a result. Did you, like, see the tunnel and the light and everything?

The Equatorial Guinean attorney general José Olo Obono has issued an arrest warrant against Mark Thatcher. But no-one seems to know where this international man of mystery is...

Found him! He's residing at Casa Flores "a luxury villa hidden in dense forest on a mountain above San Pedro de Alcantara, southern Spain."

There's a feature about Mark Thatcher in today's Sunday Times. From a DL point of view, the interesting bit concerns President Teodoro Obiang Nguema's determination to get his man.

Although there are no extradition treaties between Equatorial Guinea and the EU, Obiang has noted that the US no longer troubles with the tedious details of legal process and moves prisoners around the world by extraordinary rendition. He sees no reason why he should not follow suit.

Thus it is that rumours abound of kidnap squads a Russian gang has been mentioned being recruited to snatch Sir Mark, spirit him away and produce him in an Equatorial Guinea courthouse.

Alternatively, Obiang could seek rougher justice by simply putting a bounty on Sir Mark's head and wait for someone to claim it.

Maybe a mod could add Sir Mark Thatcher's name to the title of this thread?

Found him! He's residing at Casa Flores "a luxury villa hidden in dense forest on a mountain above San Pedro de Alcantara, southern Spain."

There's a feature about Mark Thatcher in today's Sunday Times. From a DL point of view, the interesting bit concerns President Teodoro Obiang Nguema's determination to get his man.

Although there are no extradition treaties between Equatorial Guinea and the EU, Obiang has noted that the US no longer troubles with the tedious details of legal process and moves prisoners around the world by extraordinary rendition. He sees no reason why he should not follow suit.

Thus it is that rumours abound of kidnap squads a Russian gang has been mentioned being recruited to snatch Sir Mark, spirit him away and produce him in an Equatorial Guinea courthouse.

Alternatively, Obiang could seek rougher justice by simply putting a bounty on Sir Mark's head and wait for someone to claim it.

Maybe a mod could add Sir Mark Thatcher's name to the title of this thread?

This is DL gold, and - more to the point - the 'extraordinary rendition' of Sir Mark would be the diplomatic ding dong of the decade, or summat. Hell, the 'how've you been?' moment in that jail cell in Equatorial Guinea as the three of them catch up would be the defining moment of reality TV. Sell the rights to that and you'd have paid off the Russian kidnap gang.

Odds of a not guilty verdict?

Standing on the roof of your house and dropping a quarter into the plastic cup on the ground.

Odds of a not guilty verdict?

Standing on the roof of your house and dropping a quarter into the plastic cup on the ground.

5147b31212.jpg

Maybe drop your quarter into the collection for Simon Mann's legal costs?

Anyone else see the BBC 4 drama about Thatcher last night. Cracking one liner as 9 year old Mark watches his dad heading off on a business trip to Africa he expresses a wish to go to ending it with the immortal.......'I wouldn't cause any trouble.'

:):rolleyes::ghost:

Our favourite trial is off and running, and they're asking for a mere 30 years for Simes. He could be out and about mercenerising with his bus pass before you know it.

Allegedly, Simon Mann is to be pardoned and released on "humanitarian grounds". If true, it'll have been quite a year for corrupt and sadistic governments releasing poorly prisoners.

Allegedly, Simon Mann is to be pardoned and released on "humanitarian grounds". If true, it'll have been quite a year for corrupt and sadistic governments releasing poorly prisoners.

I bet Nick Du Toit is thrilled for him.

(edit - that was supposed to be an ironic comment, but I now see he has been pardoned as well)

This article in the South African press states that Simon Mann is suffering from cancer. I haven't seen any other stories which suggest this, so it's probably just a misunderstanding. The same article says that Nick Du Toit, the original subject of this thread, has found God.

Mark Thatcher may well be one of those incapable of dealing from a full-deck mentally when faced with naked reality in large amounts. His flakey career and apparent credulousness in - alllegedly - setting up the coup are pretty big indicators of such.

Marginal suicide risk in the current circumstances I reckon.

The same article says that Nick Du Toit, the original subject of this thread, has found God.

Unfortunately that disease is rarely life-threatening.

regards,

Hein

There's a Storyville documentary entitled Black Beach airing on BBC Four at 9pm on 1st December. I was amused by the 'fact' that EqGui asked for £270m for his release but settled for £200k. I don't suppose Scratcher and Smelly dug too deep into their pockets.

In a documentary - to be screened by BBC Four's Storyville series - Mann reveals he wrote to President Obiang before his trial asking for a pardon.

He said: 'I think I would have earned a pardon anywhere in the world. Now the response I had to that was, informally, that it was basically "we don't disagree with you".'

Nick Du Toit has given his first proper interview since he was released from Black Beach Prison (he actually gave it a month ago, but I've only just noticed). The inevitable book will follow shortly. If his account is to be believed, he very nearly did die of malaria in 2008.

A bit late with this one, but Ely Calil, the reclusive, rarely photographed multi-millionaire who was widely believed to have funded the 2004 Equatorial Guinea coup plot, died after falling down the stairs at his London home last month. 

Meanwhile, I believe all three subjects of this thread are in good health and Nick Du Toit, my joker pick in the 2006 DDP, was last heard of running a car dealership in Yemen. (Although, thinking about it, there might possibly be another reason why this lifelong mercenary and arms dealer is choosing to spend time in a nation perennially ravaged by war, but who am I to speculate?)

• Like 1

On 30/06/2018 at 00:11, DevonDeathTrip said:

A bit late with this one, but Ely Calil, the reclusive, rarely photographed multi-millionaire who was widely believed to have funded the 2004 Equatorial Guinea coup plot, died after falling down the stairs at his London home last month. 

Meanwhile, I believe all three subjects of this thread are in good health and Nick Du Toit, my joker pick in the 2006 DDP, was last heard of running a car dealership in Yemen. (Although, thinking about it, there might possibly be another reason why this lifelong mercenary and arms dealer is choosing to spend time in a nation perennially ravaged by war, but who am I to speculate?)

Saw Nick about 6 weeks ago and bad news guys....Your list is going to have to wait for quite a while.