Lady Die

DL Members' Secrets

There are many different conventional religions, but Science can surely be the only true religion as it can prove facts. (2+2=4) must be the same throughout the entire universe, the structure of hydrogen etc., must be the same everywhere.

There are many different conventional religions, but Science can surely be the only true religion as it can prove facts.  (2+2=4) must be the same throughout the entire universe, the structure of hydrogen etc., must be the same everywhere.

Science isn't really a religion. Religions are based on faith - i.e. belief without evidence - whereas science is based on provable facts.

There are many different conventional religions, but Science can surely be the only true religion as it can prove facts.  (2+2=4) must be the same throughout the entire universe, the structure of hydrogen etc., must be the same everywhere.

Au contraire monsieur Josco.

Religions die out if everyone stops believing in them. Many ancient cultures had complicated multi-deity religious systems, many of which are now regarded as an archaeological curiosity, as there are no longer any priests to defend the beliefs, or believers to sustain the myth. Science is not a belief system, it persists even if no one believes in it. 2 + 2 will always = 4, whether there is anyone around to believe it or not.

(Damn - beat me to it Lady Die)

I agree with you both (Lady Die & Bald Rick). I was merely stetching the accepted definition of religion to include science so as to support my tenuous argument. Perhaps I stretched it beyond breaking point.

I agree with you both (Lady Die & Bald Rick). I was merely stetching the accepted definition of religion to include science so as to support my tenuous argument. Perhaps I stretched it beyond breaking point.

I think you need to go and have a cup of tea.

Guest Zardoz
My parents are , wait for it , Scousers. Oh the shame.

My Dad's from Liverpool, my Mum's from Glasgow, she pretends she is from Yorkshire and he speaks and looks like Captain Mainwaring, but is much more pompus. I just want to escape this crazy country and live somewhere normal.

Every day things just get more insane and Orwellian. Curriculum's for babies??

Let me out before I loose my mind.

I agree with you both (Lady Die & Bald Rick).  I was merely stetching the accepted definition of religion to include science so as to support my tenuous argument.  Perhaps I stretched it beyond breaking point.

Does/can the definition of religion include science?

Does/can the definition of science include religion?

Is Intelligent Design a reasonable theory that is being horribly abused for political ends?

What's new?

(Answers on the back of a £20 note, please.)

Does/can the definition of religion include science? NO

Does/can the definition of science include religion? NO

Is Intelligent Design a reasonable theory that is being horribly abused for political ends? NO - IT'S A LOAD OF TWADDLE

What's new? NOTHING UNDER THE SUN

NO £20 NOTE I'M AFRAID - HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO GO TO THE CASHPOINT YET

I just want to escape this crazy country and live somewhere normal.

Every day things just get more insane and Orwellian.  Curriculum's for babies??

Deathlist.net is sometimes almost normal. :D;):blink:

Why not sign up, as a step in the right direction?

What an appalling bigot that man is. Appealing to ignorance and hate every time he talks in public.

He isn't on the list for 2006 by any chance, is he?

What an appalling bigot that man is. Appealing to ignorance and hate every time he talks in public.

/me nods.

He isn't on the list for 2006 by any chance, is he?

Not yet, since the 2006 list won't be decided on till the end of December, but the thought is tempting.

According to Wikipedia he was born March 22, 1930, so he is getting on a bit. Does anyone know reports of his health?

regards,

Hein

My shameful secret is not particularly shameful but death related so I thought I'd share it.

When our dog died we buried him in someone else's garden. The people are now close friends, but we didn't know them at the time. We've never been able to bring ourselves to tell them, but we've been quite successful in influencing their landscaping plans for the garden.

Incidentally, this is the same house I mentioned ages ago which had stolen railings from a grave as a fireguard (stolen by my aunt).

Have just found this in a little trawl. I think it must be one of the oddest revelations I have seen here. I could make a book out of this. In fact someone has.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...4538582-0893414

You buried your dog in a neighbour's garden? In secret? Why?

I love gardening. The thought that one day I might go digging among the rose bushes and find the remains of a dead dog - it's haunting me.

I'm trying to envisage the scenario that led to the secret burial of a beloved pet in someone else's garden by Slave and (Mr?) Slave. "What we doing tonight love?"

"Oh the dog's died, best get a shovel from the shed and lets nip round to our friends while they're out and stick it there. It'll go well in their flower bed, much nicer than ours." Amazing.

"What we doing tonight love?"

"Oh the dog's died, best get a shovel from the shed and lets nip round to our friends while they're out and stick it there. It'll go well in their flower bed, much nicer than ours." Amazing.

Not all of us do that. I, for one, bury the neighbour's dogs in my garden.

Well, I'd like to.

regards,

Hein

When our dog died we buried him in someone else's garden.

You buried your dog in a neighbour's garden? In secret? Why? Amazing.

Ditto. Amazing. There has to be a decent back-story to this. If it's too bad to post, PM us with the details, please STTG.

When our dog died we buried him in someone else's garden.

You buried your dog in a neighbour's garden? In secret? Why? Amazing.

Ditto. Amazing. There has to be a decent back-story to this. If it's too bad to post, PM us with the details, please STTG.

There is an apocryphal story of a pet rabbit:

This family were at home when their dog came in to the house with the neighbours pet rabbit in it's mouth. The rabbit was obviously dead and, judging by the mess it was in, had been dragged around by their dog. Horror struck, the mother retrieved the rabbit and set about cleaning it up as best as she could, washing the fur and blow drying it etc. Knowing the neighbours were out at work, she went round and placed the dead rabbit back in the hutch and swore the rest of the family to secrecy.

The Neighbours returned from work and came round to ask if anything unusual had happened, they seemed a little distressed.

Nothing at all said the family, "why?".

"Well", replied the neighbours, "Our rabbit, Bubbles, died yesterday and we buried it in the garden, but now the body has returned to the hutch."............

They must have been S to the G's neighbours. Haven't seen slave around recently but next time she's on I hope someone might resurrect this little thread. I will if I remember which means I probably won't.

I'm afraid it's a bit boring really :skill2: .

My Aunt died and we house-sat for a few months whilst the house was sold. Our 17 year old lurcher finally shuffled during our stay, so we buried him in the garden.

The house was sold shortly after and we became friends with the new owners. We never told them at the beginning and now, several years down the line, its a bit late.

We've so far managed to prevent him from being accidentally dug up, by claiming to have lots of garden expertise and heavily influencing their vegetable patch positioning. This can only go on for so long however and we have recently been considering the possibility of secretly digging him up again and reburying him in our own garden.

I'm afraid it's a bit boring really :skill2: .

My Aunt died and we house-sat for a few months whilst the house was sold.  Our 17 year old lurcher finally shuffled during our stay, so we buried him in the garden.

The house was sold shortly after and we became friends with the new owners. We never told them at the beginning and now, several years down the line, its a bit late. 

We've so far managed to prevent him from being accidentally dug up, by claiming to have lots of garden expertise and heavily influencing their vegetable patch positioning. This can only go on for so long however and we have recently been considering the possibility of secretly digging him up again and reburying him in our own garden.

Not at all boring. Keep us posted on any developments. Doubt if the dog will look too clever anymore.

I'm afraid it's a bit boring really :P .

My Aunt died and we house-sat for a few months whilst the house was sold.  Our 17 year old lurcher finally shuffled during our stay, so we buried him in the garden.

Let's hope your neighbours don't read DL. :skill2:

How long ago was this episode and in what kind of soil is the poor animal buried? If it's many years and sandy soil there's not much left, so you can always blame previous owners if the bones turn up.

regards,

Hein

Let's hope your neighbours don't read DL. :P

How long ago was this episode and in what kind of soil is the poor animal buried? If it's many years and sandy soil there's not much left, so you can always blame previous owners if the bones turn up.

regards,

Hein

Three years, in heavy clay soil complete with lead, collar and nametag bearing dog's name, owners' name and telephone number. If they do dig him up, we may have some explaining to do. :skill2:

...complete with lead, collar and nametag bearing dog's name, owners' name and telephone number.

:skill2: [weak pun]I smell a cover-up.[/weak pun] It sounds very much like the poor lurcher was led to the spot, made to dig his own grave and then killed where he stood! Not even time to remove the lead? Merciless. :P

I've been thinking about this quite a lot today, distracted from the pursuit of a near dead famous Belgian. In fact it made for an interesting discussion with the family over lunch.

Idea 1. A risky tactic - suggested by one of the Godettes - would be to dress in black and sneak in to the garden at dead of night when the friends are away. Might be hard to explain if the police are called.

Idea 2. (my idea) - take a wheelbarrow and a bag of peat to the spot while doing the garden, empty the peat on to the patch, then dig up the dog, stuff it in the peat bag and wheelbarrow it away effecting nonchalance as you go.

Idea 3. (expensive): construct a rockery over the spot with big stones.

I'm afraid that's the best we could come with, given the new details about the collar and name tag.

Excellent suggestions Mr Godot. I have to say, I favour the Godettes' idea as whilst we've spouted forth garden expertise, we haven't actually lifted a finger to help. So suddenly grabbing garden implements and setting to work on the shrubbery might ring alarm bells, particularly as they live a good half an hour away.

We have devised a plan of our own however, which goes as follows: We go round for lunch, get them drunk (not too difficult), kill their cat and then offer to bury it for them whilst they stay inside and hide the terrible truth from the children. We then dig up the dog and swap him for the cat. Any bones we leave behind can be passed off as cat bones. If they insist on a pet funeral and won't leave the burial site, we can simply bury the cat on top of the dog, thus ensuring a permanent memorial.

Not a bad plan at all but a bit tough on the cat. Also cats are remarkably resilient and don't fall over too easily. Their bones and muscles are very supple so not easy to squash. Another thing, it would need to look as if the cat had just sort of died and any marks of violence would be a dead give away. Maybe something in its food would be the answer. This is all hypothetical by the way Mr RSPCA man if you're reading. I love cats. We used to have one until it died one afternoon after we'd been getting pissed with our neighbours. Oh no.....

This could be getting out of hand. What started as an innocent case of mistaken burial ground is turning in to murder. Don't do it Slave, it's all going to go horribly wrong.