Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne

Why Are We Here?

Why are we here?

Has anybody asked that question? Probably, yes, but what is the answer?

Think about it - we get up in the morning, go to work, complete a days work with whatever abuse colleagues and customers throw at you, go home, make something to eat, feed the family, watch a bit of television or do some ironing. Have a bath and then go to bed and then every single sodden day we repeat the same process.

Can anybody tell me why?

I want some positive answers here?

Regards,

Yvonne.

• Like 1

Why are we here?

See, the thing is, when spring time comes around and all the animals... No, hang on. Try this instead: Your daddy and mummy love each other very, very much, and when two people love each other, sometimes they make a baby.

Your daddy and mummy had a baby that grew into you.

You bought a computer, connected it to the internet and came across deathlist.net.

That is why you are here, right now--It's your mum's fault for not having a headache.

Thanks Honez,

Just the tonic I needed to go and wash the dishes.

Why are we here?

It's a very difficult question to anwser because just like anything else you look deeply into there arent any anwsers?

If you want me to just make a guess i would think

that humanity lives to have a purpose and that

purpose being both positive and negative,

Depending on who you are.

Guest IYG
Why are we here?

Can anybody tell me why?

I'm not sure but will you accept 42 as an answer? :old:

Why are we here?

You have to be somewhere, and I happen to be here. I could be there, but then there would be here, and I'd still be here, so there. :old:

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Someone once suggested to me that the answer is "experience."

This answer opens many further questions, but it fits quite neatly with several world philosophies/religions and it also provides a good excuse to have a lot of fun.

All you have to do is get on with it and see what happens.

and then every single sodden day we repeat the same process.

You must be near Manchester.

Why are we here?

Think about it - we get up in the morning, go to work, complete a days work with whatever abuse colleagues and customers throw at you, go home, make something to eat, feed the family, watch a bit of television or do some ironing. Have a bath and then go to bed and then every single sodden day we repeat the same process.

Can anybody tell me why?

Regards,

Yvonne.

My inclination is to answer your question with more questions:

Do we have a choice?

If so, what are the alternatives?

It depends on whether you mean "Why do we exist?" or "Why are we in this particular place?" (as opposed to somewhere else).

The second is a lot easier than the first.

Your daily routine bears no resemblance to mine, but I try to delude myself that I do what I do every day because I made decisions along the way which brought me to where I am now.

As to why we exist in the first place, there are a number of theories and one is as good as another as far as I can see.

Make the best of it I say. Take up an interesting hobby where you meet people and get plenty fresh air.

Why are we here?

There is really no right or wrong answer to that philosophical question, as it would depend on the individual who is being asked. As Mr. Notapotato said, "Do we have a choice?"

Like you, I have a grueling schedule from day to day, but I really do not focus all of my thoughts on it. There are other more important things like spending quality time with my wife, family and friends, travelling, taking up various hobbies, participating in various sports, etc. These enjoyable aspects give my life a lot of meaning and a purpose.

Your life (whether dull or meaningful) is whatever you make it out to be. Making it meaningful is not always easy and does require some effort, but it is worth it. :P

Yvonne,the question you have put has taxed some of the finest minds in the "civilised" world for hundreds of years, so it was asking a bit much for the Deathlist regulars to come up with an answer. I often hear the maxim " Live every day as if it's your last, because one day it will be" but it seems to me that's just an encouragement for outrageous hedonism and/or running up crippling debts. Perhaps it's wiser to assume that you'll be around for a bit longer.

Nice to see you back though. You've been one of our more indolent (or should that be reluctant?) contributors, a clear indication that you do have some sort of a life,so I hope you'll stick around for a while.

I am keen to hear other members opinions on the here after. Do we lean towards some form of life after death, or are we really just..............

In the last UK census we were asked for our religion for the first time, and I answered as a Jedi Knight. Apparently I was not alone, some 300,000 who expressed a preference also answered the same.

I am keen to hear other members opinions on the here after. Do we lean towards some form of life after death, or are we really just..............

Despite my former .sig, I'm an atheist. So voted.

Nothing what so ever, oblivion.

Have you cast your vote yet Josco?

He will use the force

Obi-Wan-Joscobi

p.s. sorry for the bad joke

Guest IYG

What? No choice of I'll believe it when I see it? The scientist answer.

Well to think it would be a shame if there were no "Supreme Being" because

that would mean you would be waisting your time going to church or

temple or even reading the bible or whatever it is you worship. It would all be in the catagory of falsehood. If there was no afterlife you could sit back and laugh at those such as Pope John Paul who dedicate there lives and live as virgins and

spread the word of fairytales. That would mean Billy Graham preaches the name

of something that doesen't even exsist. It would make him one of the biggest

con artists to ever live though his wallet i'm sure is full. People would figure

Sister Lucia was just a young girl with a big imagination or she took 1 to many pills of her medication. Even to this day i'm unsure about this "Supreme Being".

I guess i have my theory's. But i have to say even if there was no god

if there was no nothing and i was the only person on the planet to know this

secrete i still wouldent break it to the world. Understand that religion brings

hope and faith into others live's and even if there is no "Supreme Being"

the hope and faith by others is real. Like i said it's just a theory which

many of them i have.

If you were to ask me on a quick thought if there was anything

"There has to be something" :deadx:

Not really a fair poll since you did not take into account what I wanted to vote. I believe in creationism, I believe some of the Bible to be true and all of it is based on facts of things which actually did happen. If this were not so then how do we account fo the historical epics of other cultures and civilizations? Is not The Epic of Gilgamesh proof enough? Too I believe in a hereafter although I'm not too sure what it is like. I am of the belief that some persons are recycled almost immediately (15 to 30 Earth years) others take hundreds of years for their souls to enter a new body. As to what happens after death, there is of course the trial, the judgement, the sentencing, the atoning for the sins. After that, some choose to re-enter an Earthling body right away others opt for longer times in between doing other forms of service and research and of course some souls don't receive an option they are reassigned immediately.

Then of course there are body shells (soul holders) in other Galaxies and Universes so there is the student exchange mode and perhaps even it's a requirement to make it to the top spiritual levels.

So many possibilities and yet so little time.

I'm with BrunoBrimley. I voted oblivion because it's the closest. In reality I'm agnostic, thinking if there is some intelligence it's not covered by the other options. I think any controlling intelligence is indifferent to us at best and we may be miniscule parts of some greater living thing. In other words the universe and any controlling intelligence probably consider us as much as we consider a few of the bacteria working in our Pancreas. As Bill Hicks memorably stated we ain't 'nothing but a virus with shoes.' If we serve a purpose I'm not sure we know what it is. We could probably wipe ourselves out without any controlling intelligence stepping in to save us, caring much either way or suffering greatly from our loss.

Other than these dark thoughts, life's pretty good for me.

Nothing what so ever, oblivion.

Have you cast your vote yet Josco?

I voted for the "there may be something" option. A case of my heart ruling my head. Cold logic dictates that the existence of a god(s) would manifest itself in a more obvious way. Emotion leads one to believe that there must be some form of afterlife.

Confused. :deadx:

If you want to find out how much of a con artist Billy Graham really is, just plug

Billy Graham jews

into google and see what ya get.

- atheist dad

If you want to find out how much of a con artist Billy Graham really is, just plug

Billy Graham jews

into google and see what ya get.

- atheist dad

I wasn't really knocking Graham i just was testing one

of my opinions.

Good thread, I've been wondering for some time when we'd get round to discussing this. I'm with Josco (I think) on the life-after-death business. Logic tells us that there can be no conscious existence after death, because a "spirit" would want to be able to see, hear, think and feel (asuming it could do all these things in life) and we know that when a person dies their brain ceases to function.

And yet, and yet ... is it just clutching at straws, but each and every one of us is imbued with a unique and distinct personality, which alone sets us apart from the majority of other species. Could this be the basis of the soul? And could that soul somehow survive the death of its parent body and find a home elsewhere? It seems so implausible, yet nobody has or can prove that it doesn't happen. Nobody knows what it feels like to die, it's the last great unsolved mystery.

That's all from me, I'm up far too late as usual. :deadx:

Religion is all complete twaddle. I'm completely baffled how 21st century people can believe this nonsense ..... it's like believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Religion is all complete twaddle. I'm completely baffled how 21st century people can believe this nonsense ..... it's like believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Rather alarmingly, I find myself in total agreement with somebody and can't even correct them on their spelling or grammar! Top marks for content and presentation, Ms Janeo...........