Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne

Why Are We Here?

Guest IYG
Oh well, forget it then.

On second thoughts, I want a second opinion before I eat humble pie.

Mrs N. says I am right.

Are you saying that A I have in College Algebra is meaningless? :blink:

No, I am saying I'm useless at algebra and should keep my gob shut on the subject.

Ask me about something I understand.

Like... er...er...um......

Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop. What... is your name?

King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?

King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.

[he is thrown over]

Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.

Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?

King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Religion is all complete twaddle. I'm completely baffled how 21st century people can believe this nonsense ..... it's like believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Does that mean the fairies I see at the bottom of my garden are not real??????????? :old:

P.s. Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe it

Does that mean the fairies I see at the bottom of my garden are not real??????????? :old:

P.s. Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe it

Because remember every time you say you don't believe in fairies, a fairy dies. Really, would this be fair to Lady Grendel having her tour her garden collecting deady fairy corpses? No, it wouldn't so you MUST believe.

By the way, what type of boots are these fairies sporting? Something tasteful I would hope.

Are more likely to be pixies if they are wearing boots.

Finally a subject I feel confident posting about. :old:

Guest IYG
Are more likely to be pixies if they are wearing boots.

Finally a subject I feel confident posting about. :)

It says wonders about you. :old:

You should see the fairies in Texas, cowboy boots and shotguns. :o

Guest IYG
I thought any fairies in Texas got lynched?

No, they just move to San Francisco.

I hope I don't have an immortal soul .... I really don't want to spend all eternity with Cliff Richard & The Pope

Why, they speak so highly of you! Actually I wouldn't worry about that, Janeo - I reckon you're going to the Other Place. I'll see you there perhaps :huh:

Maybe even France

Actually its step 8 that creates the problem ...

A pressing question for West Cumbrians for many years now has been: is there life BEFORE death?

A pressing question for West Cumbrians for many years now has been: is there life BEFORE death?

Is this one of those "making you think qustions" or is it

just as foolish as it sounds.

Yup. Devision by zero. Never fails to extract bitter complaints from my abacus. :o

regards,

Hein

Banshees Scream

You've clearly never been to West Cumbria.

We're all just a strange and usually futile alternative use for otherwise useful energy.

Yup. Devision by zero. Never fails to extract bitter complaints from my abacus. :dead:

regards,

Hein

That sounds devilishly difficult :referee:

Yup. Devision by zero. Never fails to extract bitter complaints from my abacus. :dead:

regards,

Hein

That sounds devilishly difficult :referee:

A diva I know in Devon developed a theory on monetary devaluation. The main device, she devised, is divident from diverse stocks. I won't dive in the details (I've been told the Devil dwells there) but after her divorce that diva divulged that this devious theory had made her devastatingly rich.

regards,

Hein

These chaps are dead and so presumably by now they know the answer to the question posed in this thread! :(

I hope I don't have an immortal soul .... I really don't want to spend all eternity with Cliff Richard & The Pope

Why, they speak so highly of you! Actually I wouldn't worry about that, Janeo - I reckon you're going to the Other Place. I'll see you there perhaps :(

I look forward to meeting you .... I've always liked cute fluffy doggies.

So we are a predominantly atheist forum then.

Yes, thank God.

Some thoughts....

The lack of evidence suggests no life after death. However, being (apparently uniquely) self-aware, and therefore "death-aware", is there any downside for humans in believing that there is an afterlife of some sort? Difficult to see any rational basis for not believing in one. On this basis, any religious construct to formalise this and give it all a bit more "body" is probably helpful.

As to whether there is an actively interventionist God doing miracles, visiting plagues and hurricanes, and getting Kevin Pietersen dropped in his first over, I think it's entirely personal. If you think believing in a third party helps deal with life's vicissitudes, then go ahead.

Personally I don't buy into this because you disappear up your own fundament worrying about a vicious and arbitrary deity, who stomps about, "testing people's faith" by giving them stomach cancer, running over their kids or making them commute on the North Kent Line.

The trouble with religion comes when it gets confused with race, social issues and politics and you start killing people because you don't like them or feel threatened by them or you want their piece of the pie (or just some pie). Religion then becomes as good a reason as any to dress up baser motives. More cynically, it's also easier for governments/kings/dictators to get people to fight wars for an abstract idea (religion, patriotism, "freedom") than persuading them to get killed to keep the fat bastards at the top eating all the pies (pace Blackadder).

In short, it seems mad not to believe in some form of afterlife and religion gives the belief colour and structure. But take it or leave it with the "Meddling God" Just don't get it confused with "I'm going to blow this bus up cos it's the will of Allah".

Some thoughts....

The lack of evidence suggests no life after death. However, being (apparently uniquely) self-aware, and therefore "death-aware", is there any downside for humans in believing that there is an afterlife of some sort? Difficult to see any rational basis for not believing in one. On this basis, any religious construct to formalise this and give it all a bit more "body" is probably helpful.

As to whether there is an actively interventionist God doing miracles, visiting plagues and hurricanes, and getting Kevin Pietersen dropped in his first over, I think it's entirely personal. If you think believing in a third party helps deal with life's vicissitudes, then go ahead.

Personally I don't buy into this because you disappear up your own fundament worrying about a vicious and arbitrary deity, who stomps about, "testing people's faith" by giving them stomach cancer, running over their kids or making them commute on the North Kent Line.

The trouble with religion comes when it gets confused with race, social issues and politics and you start killing people because you don't like them or feel threatened by them or you want their piece of the pie (or just some pie). Religion then becomes as good a reason as any to dress up baser motives. More cynically, it's also easier for governments/kings/dictators to get people to fight wars for an abstract idea (religion, patriotism, "freedom") than persuading them to get killed to keep the fat bastards at the top eating all the pies (pace Blackadder).

In short, it seems mad not to believe in some form of afterlife and religion gives the belief colour and structure. But take it or leave it with the "Meddling God" Just don't get it confused with "I'm going to blow this bus up cos it's the will of Allah".

Wow, that's all very profound.

If there is life after death what will we do for all eternity? Will there be sport to watch? Or books to read? Or what?

Plenty of people find 20-odd years of retirement hard to fill let alone all eternity!

Wow, that's all very profound.

If there is life after death what will we do for all eternity?  Will there be sport to watch? Or books to read?  Or what?

Plenty of people find 20-odd years of retirement hard to fill let alone all eternity!

Yeah well I had a hangover and you can't spend all day doing hostile take-overs and sacking people.

I think you have to modify your idea of entertainment a bit a regards an eternal herafter. There's a great essay in the History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters if you're interested. The guy spends aeons meeting everyone interesting in history, learning everything, having sex with gorgeous women and practising golf until he can do every course in 18 shots. When he's done everything and is bored he's allowed to just drift off into a dreamless sleep.