Charley Farley

Treasonable Politicians

Those ID cards are a bugger of an idea.

I mean a lot of countries have had them for ages and they are very good for identifying yourself, preventing identity theft and so on. They haven't done much good in the preventing terrorism department though.

Britain hasn't had them up till now and has got along all right without them on the whole.

Thing is, Blair's motivation for introducing them now and how he intends to (ab)use the information stored on them is rather questionable to say the least.

Read Josco's signature.

A free republic rests on an informed citizenry, but more important, it rests on a citizenry willing to resort to persuasion rather than force. And for freedom to persist, freedom's advocates must acquire the skills of advocacy.

All too often the freedoms are threatened in various ways, none of which are egregious, yet cumulatively represent huge losses. Machiavelli pointed out well that a people will generally endure many transgressions so long as the hurt is slight. When each transgression is brought to us as a "reasonable retreat" from freedom to that of.................. ,(insert word of the moment) with the promise of greater security, the noose tightens anew. In no time freedom and liberty become magic words, thrown about as if by saying them we are what those words convey.

Anyone have an attribution for that? I pinched it off samizdata.com I think.

Britain isn't a republic of course, free or otherwise, as Windsor will confirm.

The fact is that legislation cannot remove the risk of a terrorist attack. What we need to fight terrorism isn't more power for the police. We need better police and better politicians. I'm not hopeful.

regards,

Hein

Better politicians..

Well in America there is George Bush who in my eyes doesn't

really know how to handle things. The man does something right

and then he tops it off with a very poor decision.

Although if i look back a year ago i think Bush was the

alltime favorite over rambling John Kerry. ;)

What has George Bush done right since he became U.S. President?

What has George Bush done right since he became U.S. President?

Right? Right? Everything he does is right. Right-wing, anyway...

I heard a rumour that he tied his own shoelaces correctly the other day. It's a start, at least. Give the guy a break, he's trying his best. Well, he's trying, anyway. Very trying.

etc.

I believe that in his first term in office, George Bush took so much interest in policy that he issued 0 presidential vetos.

Perhaps he didn't no he could do that - either that or he didn't need to.

I believe that in his first term in office, George Bush took so much interest in policy that he issued 0 presidential vetos.

Perhaps he didn't no he could do that - either that or he didn't need to.

No, he probably didn't no(sic), but you can bet that Cheney does no(sic).

And we all no(sic) he's the one who pulls the strings.

Good lord! I even shock myself with that error. :lol:

Good lord! I even shock myself with that error. :lol:

Although you fell sorrow with success?

Well, with that post I think Banshees has reached a new acme or should that be nadir of incomprehensibility.

Im sorry TF to have to contradict but I do feel very strongly that this is an ecunemical matter!

By that I assume you mean ecumenical problem as in a world-wide issue?

Why all the fuss about I.D. cards? We already have them, look at your driving licence, you need I.D. to get a bank account, a library ticket and all sorts of things. I don't see the problem with bringing in the cards!

Why all the fuss about I.D. cards? We already have them, look at your driving licence, you need I.D. to get a bank account, a library ticket and all sorts of things. I don't see the problem with bringing in the cards!

The exorbitant waste of money, for one.

Why all the fuss about I.D. cards?  We already have them, look at your driving licence, you need I.D. to get a bank account, a library ticket and all sorts of things.  I don't see the problem with bringing in the cards!

Does anybody know for sure what the cost is going to be? There have been all sorts of quotes.

Why all the fuss about I.D. cards?  We already have them, look at your driving licence, you need I.D. to get a bank account, a library ticket and all sorts of things.  I don't see the problem with bringing in the cards!

Does anybody know for sure what the cost is going to be? There have been all sorts of quotes.

Whatever figure the Government quote, triple it and you'll be close to the real cost.

Around 10-15 billion, I'd say.

Not to mention the cost in personal liberty.

Other countries have used ID cards to protect their citizens. (ie: the purpose of government in the first place)

I'm not sure that Mr Blair's intentions are entirely honourable.

Most other forms of ID are to serve a purpose ...

The prove you're competant at driving (in theory), a driving license.

To visit other countries, a passport.

To buy things, credit / debit cards.

An ID card is just there to prove you exist to a busybody. It has no other purpose*. And I think I know who I am.

*Actually, it probably will have other purposes, most of them questionable, and none of them will be to the ID card holder's benefit, I suspect.

Most other forms of ID are to serve a purpose ...

The prove you're competant at driving (in theory), a driving license.

To visit other countries, a passport.

To buy things, credit / debit cards.

An ID card is just there to prove you exist to a busybody. It has no other purpose*. And I think I know who I am.

*Actually, it probably will have other purposes, most of them questionable, and none of them will be to the ID card holder's benefit, I suspect.

Remind me again why we need one national database with every citizens biometric details, medical and benefit history? For starters?

Room 101 for the losers...

In many European countries the ID card serves to prove that you are you, as opposed to anybody else. That is quite useful. It can also be used as a passport to visit certain other neighbouring countries. In fact the German one looks just like the photo page of your passport.

I don't believe any of them have found it necessary to use biometrics yet in a big way or indeed at all. probably because they are not only completely unnecessary, but bloody expensive too.

I don't believe any of them have found it necessary to use biometrics yet in a big way or indeed at all. probably because they are not only completely unnecessary, but bloody expensive too.

But we'll pioneer it due to the war on terror! :dead3:

Terrorists will instantly be flagged as they try and enter our country or move within it's borders... the computers will tell us because 'terrorist' will be encoded into it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before all babies are microchipped at birth.

Then our benevolent Government will know exactly where everyone is 24/7.