Charley Farley

Treasonable Politicians

Here in the UK we are already becoming the most spied upon and surveilled people in the world. The ID card, although a help in the simplest sense of identity proof, will engender a database of massive and insidious dimension.

Well even ex MI5 head Dame Stella Rimington, thinks ID cards would not make Britain any safer from terrorist attack.

She should know what she's talking about.

But as usual, the Government ignores or rubbishes anyones opinion that differs from theirs.

In many European countries the ID card serves to prove that you are you, as opposed to anybody else. That is quite useful.

And that is useful why ? Or more importantly, to whom is that useful ?

It can also be used as a passport to visit certain other neighbouring countries. In fact the German one looks just like the photo page of your passport.

Back to 'having another use', which is a more valid argument. Though I can't see the UK allowing anyone to travel back & forth on the basis of just a piece of plastic.

You can instead just walk through a tunnel without one. :dead3:

If it were just a piece of plastic, I wonder how hard that would be to forge :rolleyes:

Else a biometric thingy will take years to inplement & build that database, be full of errors (trust to state not to cock it up, do you ?), and cost a horrendous fortune (think of whatever number the government has given & times by 5, at least. NO govermental computer project has ever come in less than this, I'm pretty certain ! That's the ones they actually bother completing. The ones they give up on as unworkable, cost more !)

Here in the UK we are already becoming the most spied upon and surveilled people in the world.

And it seems to be a failure so far, as it has not significantly reduced crime and did not stop the subway terrorist attacks from occurring.

Here in the UK we are already becoming the most spied upon and surveilled people in the world.

And it seems to be a failure so far, as it has not significantly reduced crime and did not stop the subway terrorist attacks from occurring.

Perhaps we should have the GPS chips implanted under the skin? That way we could prove where we are at all times and it would show, at the blip of a scan, exactly who we are. Where we are. What benefits we're entitled to. What level of education we've attained etc. If you've done nothing wrong why should you have anything to fear?

Only those with something to hide or terrorists wouldn't have them. :unsure:

Perhaps we should have the GPS chips implanted under the skin? That way we could prove where we are at all times and it would show, at the blip of a scan, exactly who we are. Where we are. What benefits we're entitled to. What level of education we've attained etc. If you've done nothing wrong why should you have anything to fear?

Only those with something to hide or terrorists wouldn't have them. :unsure:

Indeed our illustrious elected representatives could lead the way in openness.

If they've got nothing to hide, then I'm sure they wouldn't object to being hooked up to a polygraph for every interview they give.

After all they don't lie to us, do they?

ooh HoS you are such an extremist, I know I'm militant and a loyalist but i cant go that far!

The 7/7 bombers were militants too,

that's the problem with militancy, it cuts both ways.

Don't worry ... we'll be forced to be scanned through the backdoor

What was it someone said about passports ?

And you think they won't sell the details on ?

The ability of the local council to force their way in to photograph and note all your possessions (so as to correctly ascertain the amount of tax you should pay) will not of course be abused....................

Where will it end. This particular government has curbed more freedoms than any other in history, but at least we can enjoy a drink at any time!

The ability of the local council to force their way in to photograph and note all your possessions (so as to correctly ascertain the amount of tax you should pay) will not of course be abused....................

Where will it end. This particular government has curbed more freedoms than any other in history, but at least we can enjoy a drink at any time!

This Government haven't curbed any freedoms,

they have merely redefined the nature of freedom.

By doing so they have made us all so much more safe and secure.

Freedom really was a bit of a burden, think how much happier you are now that it's mostly gone.

You'll be ecstatic when the Council Tax rises also relieve you of all your money too.

In many European countries the ID card serves to prove that you are you, as opposed to anybody else. That is quite useful.

And that is useful why ? Or more importantly, to whom is that useful ?

Well, I mean 'sobvious innit?

It means someone can't go down the Video Rental Shop, pretend to be you and hire loads of films in your name and then steal them leaving you to foot the bill. Things like that.

You know what I like least about Blair's Identity Cards?

1657636804.jpg

I mean look at the bugger! Where is H.M. the Queen, where is the portcullis or the Lion Rampant? Where is the Union Flag? All it has is a tatty logo. It looks like shite.

Now look at the German one:

2_1_7b2.jpeg

It has the German Eagle emblazoned on it, it mentions the fact that the holder is a German citizen and their address and the colour of their eyes is written on the back. It is an official looking document which looks like it deserves a bit of respect.

Know what I mean?

Yes that German card has all the subtlety of a jackboot.

I don't think we really want lessons from the Germans on ID cards.

Take a look at some other European ID cards.

Do they look official and respectable, or do they look like an Azad card from 1974?

Take a look at some other European ID cards.

Do they look official and respectable, or do they look like an Azad card from 1974?

ID cards are the States way of telling you "Watch it sunshine".

Nothing respectable about them.

No they aren't. Not always.

In cases like in most European countries where they have had them for years they are the government's way of saying "we want to protect our citizens and make sure they can be recognised as citizens of a particular country and distinguished from one another."

In the case of Tony Blair he is saying "I want absolute control and as much information about as many of my subjects as possible because I am a messaianic paranoid fool."

It isn't the fact of the ID cards that is wrong, they are a good idea really.

It is the intentions behind their introduction in this particular case.

No they aren't. Not always.

In cases like in most European countries where they have had them for years they are the government's way of saying "we want to protect our citizens and make sure they can be recognised as citizens of a particular country and distinguished from one another."

I thought that's what passports were for.

In the case of Tony Blair he is saying "I want absolute control and as much information about as many of my subjects as possible because I am a messaianic paranoid fool."

This is the case with all Governments, the more information an ID card contains, the greater potential for abuse.

It isn't the fact of the ID cards that is wrong, they are a good idea really.

They could conceivably have some positive applications, but these are vastly outweighed by the negative aspects.

It is the intentions behind their introduction in this particular case.

Any biometric cards issued by any government would be abused by said government. They wouldn't be able to resist the temptation.

I mean look at the bugger! Where is H.M. the Queen, where is the portcullis or the Lion Rampant? Where is the Union Flag? All it has is a tatty logo. It looks like shite.

Where's the Queen? Nowhere, just as would be the case in the country as a whole if Blair had his way. He isn't going to start adding her anywhere when he's so busy trying to remove her. I'm surprised they're still allowed to put her face on the stamps.

If those ID cards are as easy to forge as most credit cards seem to be, there's going to chaos. It'll make identity theft a lot easier.

If those ID cards are as easy to forge as most credit cards seem to be, there's going to chaos. It'll make identity theft a lot easier.

Everything is becoming easy, Times are a changing..

Why all the fuss about I.D. cards? We already have them, look at your driving licence, you need I.D. to get a bank account, a library ticket and all sorts of things. I don't see the problem with bringing in the cards!

I do wish that were true - the reality I suspect is that you'll still have to bring in your passport, driving licence, poll tax bill, gas bill, pet registration, your mother-in-law's parrot's birth certificate and a sperm sample to be allowed to buy a train ticket. Oh, and you need the ID card.

Which can't be read by the different machine on the Underground...

And you think they won't sell the details on ?

"The revelations raise serious questions about the way personal information held by the Government is sold commercially.

They will also provoke fears about the possible abuse of Tony Blair's identity card scheme, which will create a powerful database of details about everyone in Britain.

The Government's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency last night admitted it hands out drivers' details at £2.50 a time when provided with car registration numbers.

All drivers are legally required to give the DVLA their up-to-date address, although few know this information can be sold on.

Private car park companies, however, have the right to obtain this information under obscure regulations introduced three years ago and waved through the Commons with no debate.

It may come as some surprise that in the era of the Data Protection Act - the law designed to restrict access to personal details kept on databases - that the DVLA is able to sell on information about drivers.

However, the provision in the 2002 Road Vehicles Regulations giving car park companies the right to find out about 'vehicle keepers' overrides any earlier restrictions in the Data Protection Act.

The revelation will fuel growing concerns about the use of information held by Government departments. Ministers are planning a massive database of personal information about every adult in the UK as part of the planned ID card scheme.

Ministers insist access to the data will be carefully regulated - and not sold on to private companies.

However, the revelations about the way the DVLA database is exploited commercially raises fears that the much larger ID card computer could be 'raided' in a similar way.

Gareth Crossman, director of policy for civil rights group Liberty, said: "I have no doubt that once the register of personal information is in place, the number of people with access to it will increase hugely." "

My god, how depressing.

Every tinpot civil servant will require access to this database for informational purposes or for the prevention of terrorism.

We are powerless to prevent the crushing of all resistance to this government's hidden agenda of total control.

"We're doomed Mr Mannering, we're doomed."