Sign in to follow this  
Charley Farley

Widens Immortals

I was reminded today of something that happened to Gregory Widen creator of the Highlanders series of films, whilst at the war memorial today I was in the presence of Basil Convery who had served in the first and the second world war, now I know he was in a wheelchair last time I saw him but hes now back on his feet, by my reckoning hes got to be 98 but he looks closer to 70 (could be hes had a nip/tuck) but when he saw me looking he began to withdraw even more, and sort of drifted away into the background.

Gregory Widen tells a story that his grandfather was at a regiment reunion and he met someone he served with but who had been killed by shrapnel in the trenches right in front of him, the grandfather talked with this individual for a while before the immortal cottoned onto the fact that perhaps this bloke knew that he was supposed o be dead, upon realising his gaffe this feller dropped into the "Im a relative of the deceased manner made his excuses and left" never really thought much about it until today in Bedford................spooky!

Found this thread and felt a bit sorry for it. Ok it's a bit wordy and not very relevant to anything. But nil replies??? That's not fair to Charely Farley. he may be dead by now. Maybe he should have said: anybody ever seen any ghosts? Still not relevant. There's no such thing as ghosts.

Interesting, nonetheless.

A similar phenomenon was discussed in the fictional series "Charmed" when the character of Leo Wyatt (killed in action 1942 and subsequently reincarnated with supernatural powers and immortality in order to help the good witches) meets his former comrades (now, obviously, much older-looking than him) and has to pretend he's his own grandson. It seems these things happen more frequently than one might assume.

Nice one, Charley. Bet you thought you'd seen the last of this thread and, indeed, Basil Convery...

Sorry Charley, looks like your thread is doomed. To be honest, I didn't understand it.

I like this thread. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.