Sign in to follow this  
The Yeti

A Shortlist 2006

Which ones to survive all of 2006 ? Sorry - the software only allows one choice.  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

but excludes oldies like Ernest Gallo, then I'd say some rejigging is needed.

How in the bloody hell can you exclude Ernie Gallo?

Don't you know red wine can only keep you

alive so long.. ;)

Banshees Scream Posted on Nov 16 2005, 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Tempus Fugit @ Nov 15 2005, 11:50 PM)

but excludes oldies like Ernest Gallo, then I'd say some rejigging is needed. 

How in the bloody hell can you exclude Ernie Gallo?

Don't you know red wine can only keep you

alive so long.. 

Looking down this survivors list I'm disappointed that so few of them have really problematic health conditions.

OK - so lots of them are old - so are lots of other famous people. What we need in the 2006 list is a list of famous people who have grim health prognosis's.

Has anyone got any real lifestyle info on the said Mr Gallo? Is he a smoker or has his drinks business turned him into someone with a drinks problem?

Of the list of 14 names I produced to narrow down the reused people, I'm at a loss to find any real fundamental lifestyle issues with any of them other than Jake LaMotta having spent a time in jail - this adding only 5 pts to his score. Likewise Brooke Astor - has anyone got any inside info on her? I have nothing to say that the 103 year old is in anything other than good health for her age!

Returning to the subject of Ronnie Biggs - he has reportedly had three strokes and two heart attacks. Anyone got news of any other famous person with such medical notes? I can't find anyone from within the 450 odd high profile names in my spreadsheet!

I note that Iain has posted about Slobodan Milosevic - currently with a score of 107.44 on my list, he is well placed to join the Deathlist well above Fidel Castro.

Long time reader, first time poster, I thought I'd start off on this thread. I voted for Diego Mardona for reasons you've all gone over ad nauseum, but there's a couple of other things I'd like to mention.

Not that get much British entertainment on this side of the "pond," but from what I've seen from Norman Wisdom, it reminds me of Milton Berle, who looked pretty strong at his 90th and went on to live for another 6 years.

John Kenneth Galbaraith recentely (and I believe still is doing) a speaking tour around some Californian universities, and despite seeing him looking fairly frail on a recent TV interview, it's not any worse than you'd expect from a 97-98 year-old man. I have a feeling someone who plans on dying doesn't do large academic tours.

I'm also skeptical of Elizabeth Taylor dying... I think she's using a lot of this pain and suffering as an excuse to get attention... it IS what she's best at, and perhaps it's the only way left for her. I mean, how many of you salivated over your keyboards when you heard she made plans for her ashes? It's her talent to do things like that. I think Ronnie should stay on here, but do you really need two corpse teases?

Milton Friedman, Tony Martin and Byron Nelson were right as rain last time I heard, but then again, nonagenarians do have a habit of suddenly carking it (think Al Lopez).

Hamed Karzai isn't going anywhere just yet... he's perfectly healthy, and his assassination would be detremental to almost any group out there.

I've heard Eli Wallach is incredibly spry for his age, although unfortuneately I forget where. Still, I'd say he'd live through '06. I'd say the same about Cronkite.

I would have thought that maybe Castro's time was up, but seeing how quickly he recouped from his fall really changed my perspective on that.

Finally, I'd like to note that although Jerry Lewis has lost a lot of weight from 2002, extreme fluctuations in weight have been known to be the downfall of much younger people (think Christina Onassis).

I have more opinions, but those are just the ones on the top of my head. Take them with a few grains of salt though, since I only scored 3/10 on my last Rotten Dead Pool... :P

I voted for Maradona. Tragically, it appears that he has now got over his health problems and is back to his best. Although it does mean he lived to see England defeat Argentina recently, which I'm sure annoyed him greatly, so actually I'm quite happy. :P

I was looking for the thread that I made my first post in so that I could make my 1000th post in the same one, but it appears that this thread would be better off closed than celebrated. :lol:

I really don't think Liz Taylor or Muhammad Ali are going to die this year. I bet everyone else has as good a shot as any though.

I think Aaron Spelling is a pretty good bet to make it through too.

I was looking for the thread that I made my first post in so that I could make my 1000th post in the same one, but it appears that this thread would be better off closed than celebrated. :lol:

I agree that this poll should be closed. It has already served its purpose and several of the candidates mentioned were not included in this year's deathlist.