maryportfuncity

Gerry Adams & Martin McGuinness

Adams planning to move to the cash-strapped south and serve in their parliament. Obviously nowt to do with dissident Ulster republicans who regard him as a sell-out.

one man's freedom fighter...etc etc

McGuinness plans to shake hands with the Queen and Peter Robinson thinks it's a great idea. Surely, this is one serving of McGuinness that won't be to the taste of all his old pals!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18555601

Don't think it will villify him more in the eyes of his old pals. He is already seen as a traitor to 'the Cause' for his actions.

If he was going to be offed, it would have happened a decade or more ago. He is now in wae the bricks I reckon and ergo, safe.

Debateable I'd say; he's crossing a line that would have seemed unthinkable 40 years ago. As the IRA said to Thatcher when she escaped the Brighton bomb; they needed to get lucky once, she needed to get lucky every day. I don't think McGuinness is in danger from the die-hard republican movement but all such organisations have a few excitable (basically criminally psychopath types) for whom the cause is something of an excuse for the stuff they really enjoy. It only takes one of them. He's a high-profile public figure, living and working amongst them.

Seriously, the man has made more of a journey to political involvement than your average commander of terrorist/underground fighters, and as such the odds on him dying an old man in bed are very hard to calculate.

Debateable I'd say; he's crossing a line that would have seemed unthinkable 40 years ago. As the IRA said to Thatcher when she escaped the Brighton bomb; they needed to get lucky once, she needed to get lucky every day. I don't think McGuinness is in danger from the die-hard republican movement but all such organisations have a few excitable (basically criminally psychopath types) for whom the cause is something of an excuse for the stuff they really enjoy. It only takes one of them. He's a high-profile public figure, living and working amongst them.

Seriously, the man has made more of a journey to political involvement than your average commander of terrorist/underground fighters, and as such the odds on him dying an old man in bed are very hard to calculate.

What are the odds of him taking out the queen as he shakes her hand ? and I don't mean for dinner either!

I hope they kept tabs on Prince Philip during the visit. Whilst all that hand shaking was going on he might have nipped out back and cut the brake cables on Martin's car. "That's for you Cousin Louis!"

Gerry Adams became Sinn Fein leader by ousting Ruairi Ó Brádaigh. Ó Brádaigh has died, meaning another hit for the theme team - Their Troubles will (hopefully) Soon Be Over - and puts them in the top ten of the Theme Team League as he had a UK obit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22787837

The Theme team will be updated in the next DDP missive...as will the Stats & Facts!

The Theme team will be updated in the next DDP missive...as will the Stats & Facts!

Oooh. I must be close to catching DDT on most hits, which I find remarkable really, are you sure you didn't count my hits twice or something?

Oooh. I must be close to catching DDT on most hits, which I find remarkable really, are you sure you didn't count my hits twice or something?

When I saw you'd posted it this thread, I was hoping you were going to announce Bairbre De Brun had died.

You can have the hits title, OoO, but I'm keeping the points record if that's OK. :)

On my calculations there's one hit between DDT & OOO. Points classification is rather more comfortable in the favour of DDT...

Saddened to hear of it. A far more principled man than his successor .

Adams' enforced stay in a police cell and the admission from one of the ten McConville orphans that she's ready to name names...is it just me that thinks somebody isn't going to survive this? Adams' current predicament reminds us again that not everyone thinks politics is the way for republicanism to go.

About to be released without charge, apparently. I'm wondering if dissident republicans might be minded to deploy a charge or two of their own in the next few days.

The Sun reporting today that a "credible" death threat was levelled at Adams as he was being released from questioning. With McConnville's kids now also talking...it could - just - all kick off again. Bit useless for us unless everyone makes it to New Year's Eve, mind.

That's all very well MPFC. But what about the only Northern Irish political death I'm interested in. And many others are interested in. I'll give you a clue, he's big, he's old, he has a limited vocabulary, and he must have used to make himself so hoarse shouting "NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!" every 2 seconds that he probably spent half his life's wages on throat soothing lozenges.

That's all very well MPFC. But what about the only Northern Irish political death I'm interested in. And many others are interested in. I'll give you a clue, he's big, he's old, he has a limited vocabulary, and he must have used to make himself so hoarse shouting "NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!" every 2 seconds that he probably spent half his life's wages on throat soothing lozenges.

Yeah, heart failure beset him about two years ago and still he survives. I'd suggest limiting your Ulster death interest to one man is limiting to your scoring chances. There are others out there dancing with The Grim Reaper. I'd say it's a matter of time before a high profile republication who has gone over wholeheartedly to the ballot (rather than bullet) gets killed.

Yeah, heart failure beset him about two years ago and still he survives. I'd suggest limiting your Ulster death interest to one man is limiting to your scoring chances. There are others out there dancing with The Grim Reaper. I'd say it's a matter of time before a high profile republication who has gone over wholeheartedly to the ballot (rather than bullet) gets killed.

Just to get this right, you are saying killed and not just dies?

I think he might be onto something. There have been funny rumblings in the last few years. The old fighters (well those that are alive) maybe getting bored of peace. They see all the civil wars all over the world getting the attention and they start pining for the old days, wanting a piece of the action.

Just to get this right, you are saying killed and not just dies?

Yeah, there are republicans out there willing to dispense death and unimpressed with peace. To put it bluntly, a handful of the die-hards are full blown criminal psychopaths who got respect/fear because they were killers. They don't have the skills or inclination to go the route of peace and don't recongise a dividing line between their skilled trade and the "cause" they still fight for.They just want targets. There aren't many of these people and their former provo/UDF etc. comrades probably know who they are and where they live. Bear in mind there have been summary executions already, Billy "Mad Dog" Whatsisname who was killed in England being one case.

Ossy Bradley....

http://www.belfastte...g-30465599.html

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/pensioner-drowns-swimming-to-tricolours-man-thought-bessbrook-pond-flags-were-insult-to-kingmills-massacre-victims-30466334.htmlbr />.

They love their flegs so they do... , wrapped in a union jack swimming out to an island to pull down the tricolour and drowns.....S'ok though, the flegs were removed by men in fuckin canoes :D

Be fuckin' stupid otherwise. Same goes for the government backed paras..

British government report suggests that the 'army council" of the 'Ra is still in existence. Don't think we've seen the last of the Provos settling a few old scores in the streets.

Aye, but the council has a "wholly political focus" apparently and - according to the NI secretary - the army council of the troubles has vanished beyond the point it could be revived in that form.

Re the hard-core who were always up for the bombs and shooters, there's a reference at the bottom of the report to armed individuals involved in organised crime. Those are our guys these days, probably.