Cowboy Ronnie

Gary Glitter

hahaha you are right

Glad to have been of service.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but just out of curiosity, if we knew someone were to be executed, could we put them on the list anyhow according to the unwritten rules? A lot of deadpools don't allow that, since that sort of takes the fun out the game, but I was just wondering what the stance would be on that?

Forgive my ignorance, but just out of curiosity, if we knew someone were to be executed, could we put them on the list anyhow according to the unwritten rules? A lot of deadpools don't allow that, since that sort of takes the fun out the game, but I was just wondering what the stance would be on that?

I think our stance on it would be , "This is the DEATHlist and not the "Those -who died -but- only -through -natural -causes" list. And a death is a death is a death."

I don't think knowing someone was going to be executed would take the "fun out of the game". There would still be the excitement of not knowing whether they'd be executed that year. I don't know what the situation is in Vietnam but in the USA people sometimes stay on death row for years.

A lot would depend on whether they were famous before they were sent for execution.

In the same way we would question the inclusion of anyone who was famous because of a terminal illness (ie Jane Tomlinson), then I think we would exclude anyone famous solely because they were on death row.

However in this case, Gaz, like Saddam, is famous for more than just facing execution.

He's been detained for 4 months.

He looks like Elizabeth I without his wig .... well not actually like her but very different with/without wig ... if you see what I mean.

Glitter's newly appointed lawyer, Le Thanh Kinh, said: "What newspapers reported is just hearsay but there has not been any medical certificates to prove there was child sex abuse and how it was conducted."

I wasn't aware medical certificates were required, even in Vietnam, when witness testimony was available.

His teaching career is 'hearsay' a lot of what's in the papers - like his 1999 jail sentence - is fact. And it probably won't help his case if any of it is admitted in a Vietnamese court.

engaging in perverse activities with children

Some of his worst records, sold to 12 year olds, would also come into that category.

engaging in perverse activities with children

Some of his worst records, sold to 12 year olds, would also come into that category.

I think I may have bought one of his records when I was 12.....

No kidding, I've got his greatest hits on a double CD. They're not all his songs, it's made up to two discs by some Glitter Band songs. Saw him live too, where he was brilliant but then everyone thought it was ironic when he did those big revival tours.

Once he'd had his little problem at PC World the odd title like 'What Your Mamma Don't See (You're Mamma Don't Know) didn't seem so funny anymore.

No kidding, I've got his greatest hits on a double CD. They're not all his songs, it's made up to two discs by some Glitter Band songs. Saw him live too, where he was brilliant but then everyone thought it was ironic when he did those big revival tours.

Once he'd had his little problem at PC World the odd title like 'What Your Mamma Don't See (You're Mamma Don't Know) didn't seem so funny anymore.

He had more than one hit on your side of the pond? :P

I heard Rock and Roll Part 1. Simply terrible. Any better reccomendations?

Pretty much all the ones that made the top ten. Rock N Roll Pt 1 is a rythm track pretending to be a song. Once he and his producer had realised he could get radio play as well as plays in discos they wrote songs he could perform on tv pop shows and cleaned up for a year or two. You've probably heard 'Doing All Right With the Boys' because Joan Jett had a big hit with it in the USA and Canada. It's typical of his style, heavy drums, simple bass, chanted chorus.

If you were hunting a download I'd suggest 'I Love You Love Me Love' as the best of the lot. Or maybe, 'Oh Yes, You're Beautiful' a real kitsch classic. If only he hadn't meant every word of what he sang he'd have been a pop genius.

Talking of his music, I'd be interested to know if there is a general radio boycott of his hits nowadays. For example, every Sunday Dale Winton plays a vintage chart (usually from the 60s or 70s) on Pick of the Pops on Radio 2. As he normally plays the top 10 in full, I wonder if the producer is avoiding those weeks when GG was riding high in the charts.

And likewise for Jonathan King, presumably.

Glitter isn't officially banned but - unofficially - is given a wide berth. Similarly in record shops. T.Rex, Slade and even lesser lights like The Sweet, Suzi Quatro and Mud are generally in stock in your local HMV, often with a selection of reissues and compilations. Glitter - by contrast - is reduced to the one double CD of greatest hits.

Re Jonathan King, he's almost totally ignored. Mainly on grounds of producing so much lighweight crap. Put it this way. The NME reviewing his greatest hits years ago described it as: 'The sound of a butterfly farting in a human face, forever.' The one and only album available today is 'King of Hits' priced around £13-00 - 16-00, sounds like the value of his work is holding up, until you realise it's an 8 CD package. AVOID, it's complete shite.

Glitter isn't officially banned but - unofficially - is given a wide berth. Similarly in record shops. T.Rex, Slade and even lesser lights like The Sweet, Suzi Quatro and Mud are generally in stock in your local HMV, often with a selection of reissues and compilations. Glitter - by contrast - is reduced to the one double CD of greatest hits.

Re Jonathan King, he's almost totally ignored. Mainly on grounds of producing so much lighweight crap. Put it this way. The NME reviewing his greatest hits years ago described it as: 'The sound of a butterfly farting in a human face, forever.' The one and only album available today is 'King of Hits' priced around £13-00 - 16-00, sounds like the value of his work is holding up, until you realise it's an 8 CD package. AVOID, it's complete shite.

What about Pete Townshend? Is this a grey area? It was 'research' after all. :blink:

He played Live8, to a global audience estimated towards the one billion mark. Not exactly 'banned' then.

I wonder if Pete Townsend is considering taking up that recently vacated English teaching job in Vietnam

c'mon c'mon ... c'mon c'mon ... c'mon c'mon c'mon

put him on the 2006 list

Spare a though for the Glitterband, struggling to keep all their bookings in the diary despite thinking their former frontman a stuck up prima donna and parting company from him over a couple of decades ago.

Maybe they could give him mine clearance duties. If he wore his stack heels it would cushion the blow.

He's now being investigated for raping children

This does carry the death penalty.

So how do they execute people in Vietnam?

By Firing Squad

I wonder if they'll show his execution on the internet. It probably won't act as a deterrant for sex holidaying kiddy fiddlers but it would make a damn good educational video on Vietnamese justice. :blink:

From the link kindly provided by Canadian Paul it appears that the American's fired up old sparky for a single 'singe' venture last year... that's interesting. ;)

Guest A viewer

Gary Glitters agent rang him today to say that he has been offered a part as the new Dr who next year. He will be acting alongside Kay nine (K9) and Carol eleven :referee::lol: