Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Being as its the 12th anniversary of the death of tragic American gameshow ingénue Michael Larson (and if you've got a few seconds do click through and read that link, his story's fascinating), I was just randomly clicked around other notable gameshow scandals. Turns out both Charles Van Doren and Herb Stempel, the contestants on the rigged US program "Twenty One" (which was made into the 1994 movie Quiz Show) are still alive. Both turn 85 this year and would definitely get UK obituary coverage.

Was just watching the Tales of the Unexpected episode The Flypaper (unnerved me as a kid and is still pretty creepy). Was surprised that Alfred Burke is still alive.

Not anymore

Was just watching the Tales of the Unexpected episode The Flypaper (unnerved me as a kid and is still pretty creepy). Was surprised that Alfred Burke is still alive.

Not anymore

I can just about remember him as Frank Marker in Public Eye, great series, fine actor.

USAF colonel Joseph Kittinger, holder of the altitude record for skydiving at 102,800 feet (31,300 m) since 1960. At 83 he's still flying.

regards,

Hein

John Mallory, not exceptionally famous in his own right but his dad died attempting the summit of Mount Everest in 1924, is - apparently - still alive.

I was very surprised that actress Maureen O'Hara, pilot Chuck Yeager, and childrens author Beverly Cleary are still alive.

I was reading an obituary of Jim Casey, son of the comedian Jimmy James and a comedy performer in his own right, as well as a scriptwriter. It contains a quote from his cousin Jack Casey, better known as Eli Woods, whose trademark stutter and gormless delivery made him a familiar face on TV in the 60s and 70s. Eli is now 88 and some of his more recent appearances were on "Last of the Summer Wine" - which would explain why I wasn't aware he was still with us.

these days its a safe bet they're still alive unless you,ve heard something to the contrary.Sometimes I think death might be a thing of the past and people are going to start living forever!

these days its a safe bet they're still alive unless you,ve heard something to the contrary.

I think you are missing the point of this thread somewhat.

these days its a safe bet they're still alive unless you,ve heard something to the contrary.

Indeed.

To get back on track: last week I learned that Willem Duys1, a fossil of Dutch public TV, is still alive, if only barely. He was shown on a tribute programme and looked as if he suffered several strokes. He was unable to speak.

If he lives, he's a safe bet for 2012 (at least for PNDP).

1Yes, it's a horrible bot-translated article. I'll fix it when I feel like it.

regards,

Hein

Indeed.

To get back on track: last week I learned that Willem Duys1, a fossil of Dutch public TV, is still alive, if only barely. He was shown on a tribute programme and looked as if he suffered several strokes. He was unable to speak.

If he lives, he's a safe bet for 2012 (at least for PNDP).

1Yes, it's a horrible bot-translated article. I'll fix it when I feel like it.

regards,

Hein

From the same vein, though not as old as Duys, Mieke Telkamp. Said farewell to her career in March this year. Reaper on the horizon??

Hang on, we might strike gold in a few days. According to "De Telegraaf" he entered hospital with pneumonia. he's in critical condition.

Hang on, we might strike gold in a few days. According to "De Telegraaf" he entered hospital with pneumonia. he's in critical condition.

Dead.

regards,

Hein

Bernard Lovell

So old he was the inspiration for Quatermass, once got into an argument with a pal on live radio, and someone I keep thinking is long dead, even though he is alive, but frail, at 97.

Today, aged 97, Lovell is physically frail. His eyesight has almost gone, and he spends much of the day in an orthopaedic chair, with electronic controls. Yet his mind is as sharp as ever; his conversation is witty and charming; and his grasp of detail is nothing short of phenomenal.

Bernard Lovell

So old he was the inspiration for Quatermass, once got into an argument with a pal on live radio, and someone I keep thinking is long dead, even though he is alive, but frail, at 97.

Today, aged 97, Lovell is physically frail. His eyesight has almost gone, and he spends much of the day in an orthopaedic chair, with electronic controls. Yet his mind is as sharp as ever; his conversation is witty and charming; and his grasp of detail is nothing short of phenomenal.

He's the oldest living astronomer I believe. Assuming he doesnt pass away this year I'd be amazed if he wasn't on next years list'.

He still has the occassional pint with his old mate Patrick Moore apparantely

Sailen Manna, who was captain of the 1950 Indian nation football team that, urban myth has it, withdrew from the World Cup because they weren't allowed to play barefoot. He's 86 and still with us, could be an outside punt for those hoping that sport columnists might fill up their final paragraph by mentioning that he's carked it.

For the lazy among us, and in case it vanishes ...

1901 - Eric Clavering

1904 - Doris Eaton-Travis

1905 - Carl Esmond, Charles Lane and Lilian Oldland

1906 - Barbara Kent

1907 - Leon Askin, Norah Baring, Dorothy Boyd, Anne Grey, Emily Perry and Renee St Cyr

1908 - Eddie Albert, Dorothy Bartlam, Sir John Mills and Ford Rainey

1909 - Marguerite Allan, Bruce Bennett, Victoria Hopper, Luise Rainer, Gloria Stuart and Carla Laemmle

1910 - Constance Cummings, Griffith Jones, Marc Lawrence, Al Lewis, Artie Shaw, Simone Simon, Anita Page, Mary Jackson, Edmundo Ros and Geoffrey Toone

Perry turned 100 the other day. Maybe this thread can be merged somewhere else, but I figured it might be the best place to mention it.

By the way, that post was almost three years ago and, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Lane, Kent, Perry, Bartlam (at least according to IMDb), Allan (ditto), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ros are still alive.

Claverling, Oldland, Baring, Boyd, and Grey were already dead at the time of the discussion too.

I just happened to be thinking about this and it happens to be exactly one year since my last update (barring the leap year) so, out of all of them, Eaton-Travis, Kent, Bartlam (apparentely she was alive at least as recently as March 2007), Allan (same caveat as last time), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ross are still alive - we only lost Lane and Perry over the year, perhaps a good survival rate given their ages.

One year later and there were even fewer casualties: in fact, only one: Anita Page.

A bit late, but it doesn't matter - same story as above: only Eaton Travis died within the year, although I heard rumours that Bartlam is gone now as well.

That leaves Kent, Bartlam (maybe), Allan (maybe again), Rainer, Stuart, Laemmle, Page, and Ros. Not bad considering they'll all be 100+ by the end of the year.

Well shit, I had planned to come back to do this right on the day, but I messed that one up. Oh well. Anyways, Dorothy Bartlam died in 1991, Marguerite Allan may still be alive, Gloria Stewart carked it in 2010, which means that that Kent, Rainer, Laemmle, and Ros remain. Yippie. Back to my cave...