Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, what's yer point?

We all keep forgetting him and he's - metaphorically speaking - in that part of life that corresponds to way above 14,000 feet without oxygen and his broadsheet obits are likely written and ready. No sign of him in the DDP picks this year.

I have a hunch that won't be the case if he sees 2019

No point, he's on the list of people mentioned in the thread already.

I thought you'd be pleasantly surprised you had already mentioned him here....:lol:

Surprised to learn Rollen Stewart is still alive at 74.

He's the cunto that used to disrupt sporting events in the 80's with the John 3:16 signs whilst wearing a rainbow wig.

img_3940.jpg?w=640

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

Convicted in 1992 and serving 3 consecutive Life sentences for kidnapping he was denied parole last year.

(Would have been released 14 years ago but he turned down the plea bargain to have his day in Court).

Lol at trying to strangle his then wife for holding a sign in the wrong place :D

3 hours ago, charon said:

Surprised to learn Rollen Stewart is still alive at 74.

He's the cunto that used to disrupt sporting events in the 80's with the John 3:16 signs whilst wearing a rainbow wig.

img_3940.jpg?w=640

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

Convicted in 1992 and serving 3 consecutive Life sentences for kidnapping he was denied parole last year.

(Would have been released 14 years ago but he turned down the plea bargain to have his day in Court).

Lol at trying to strangle his then wife for holding a sign in the wrong place :D

From what I've read on this guy since you posted this, he hasn't done nearly enough to merit being in prison for 26 years. No wonder the U.S. prison system is a shambles when they're wasting money, space and resources keeping people like this inside for decades instead of pursuing alternative sentences or proper rehabilitation schemes.

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

From what I've read on this guy since you posted this, he hasn't done nearly enough to merit being in prison for 26 years. No wonder the U.S. prison system is a shambles when they're wasting money, space and resources keeping people like this inside for decades instead of pursuing alternative sentences or proper rehabilitation schemes.

Too be honest I would prefer a system where murders don't get let out to kill and the idea of criminal responsibility is not frowned upon. Sure some people can end up staying a bit too long in prison for your liking but in the UK they are released where they go on to offend again and again. 

Nah, think on it.

Even back then.

Facts/

Religious nutter attempts to strangle wife for not holding a sign in camera shot.

Then takes a maid hostage whilst armed.

Then threatens to shoot at the planes at nearby LA airport.

Outcome/

1992 - shot

2018 - shot

* except he white.

With the return of GLOW to Netflix this weekend, I was reminded of the fact that the promoter/moneyman behind the original GLOW, and the person Marc Meron's skeezy Hollywood neutoric character is clearly based on, was Matt Cimber - Jayne Mansfield's last husband. Also worked as a blaxploitation producer, so he had a varied career. Still with us and seemingly living in obscurity in his early 80s.

6a00d83451c29169e2017ee5e2c4db970d-pi

Idly perusing the picks this year (ok, it's nearly 2.30 am, what else?) I was surprised to learn that Alan Braden, composer of TV themes from way back, is still alive.

I see Pedro67 mentioned he'd picked him, but...well...I'm still surprised!

Debateable how obitable the man is but I was idly Googling the availability of the gloriously sick works of Robert Klane tonight and came across this fairly accurate appraisal of his peculiar genius. If you like DL you'd likely love his books (or the movies of Where's Poppa and Fire Sale).

Amazed to discover he was born as recently as 1941 - no indication he's dead yet.

Link: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/forgotten-authors-no-23-robert-klane-1607021.html

I am amazed to find out that Pat Carroll best known for her part in the little mermaid as Ursula is still alive and turning 91. 

• Like 2

On 12/06/2016 at 17:15, drol said:

Antonio Tejero (b. 1932) who tried a coup d'état in Spain in 1981. Really an anachronistic man.

According to his Wikipedia page, Antonio Tejero was erroneously reported as dead by the Spanish media earlier this year.  Certainly one to consider for 2019.

Some great footage of the 23-F coup attempt below.  I like the bit when the gunfire starts and everyone dives for cover, apart from veteran Communist leader Santiago Carillo who remains seated in the front row, impassively observing the proceedings.

31 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

According to his Wikipedia page, Antonio Tejero was erroneously reported as dead by the Spanish media earlier this year.  Certainly one to consider for 2019.

Some great footage of the 23-F coup attempt below.  I like the bit when the gunfire starts and everyone dives for cover, apart from veteran Communist leader Santiago Carillo who remains seated in the front row, impassively observing the proceedings.

Ah,  I have mentioned that before, but possibly not on here. Part Castro/part Tony Benn, Carillo was a fascinating character.

OoO fave Adolfo Suarez also stands and causes Tejero an awful amount of grief.

1950s "It Girl" Vikki Dougan, the body inspiration for Jessica Rabbit and arguably the first woman to be marketed for her arse rather than tits in Hollywood, is still going at 90.

47581221_283654962295996_498493405235495

I run a LGBT+ blog and upon research found that Carleton Carpenter is still alive and is 93 this year.

Actor David Burke , keep forgetting he's still with us and designer Eero Aarnio who I assumed had died a while ago too.

Bit of a weird one, but currently reading a book on Fausto Coppi (long gone) but the cyclist Raphael Geminiani is quoted and referenced a fair bit on cycling in the late 1940s and 1950s. 

Given the amateur drug taking - freely admitted in this book, he’s still strong at the age of 93. That does surprise me as the book by William Fotheringham on Coppi came out 10 years ago.

Will be worthy of a obit for 6 podiums on the Grand Tours (TfF, Giro and La Vuelta)

I'm watching "At Last the 1948 Show", fourth episode, opening sketch "The Four Sydney Lotterbys." Searching online, I learned Sydney Lotterby, OBE (born 30 November 1926), is a retired BAFTA winning TV director and producer; John Cleese wrote his name into the sketch because he liked the sound of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

I'm watching "At Last the 1948 Show", fourth episode, opening sketch "The Four Sydney Lotterbys." Searching online, I learned Sydney Lotterby, OBE (born 30 November 1926), is a retired BAFTA winning TV director and producer; John Cleese wrote his name into the sketch because he liked the sound of it.

Hmm

Obit chances hard to call - likely get a mention sufficient to score MMMDP points. I've seen a few OBE/CBE/MBE cases get little more than local coverage, mind

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

Obit chances hard to call - likely get a mention sufficient to score MMMDP points. I've seen a few OBE/CBE/MBE cases get little more than local coverage, mind

Sydney Lotterby is a dead cert obit. If nothing else he would get pride of place on Last Word even on a busy week like last week. His CV reads like a roll call of all the best seventies and eighties sitcoms.

• Like 2

Yeah, Sydney directed and produced Porridge, Last of the Summer Wine, Some Mothers Do ave em, and Yes Minister, and won the TV BAFTA 4 times. Will piss obits everywhere.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah, Sydney directed and produced Porridge, Last of the Summer Wine, Some Mothers Do ave em, and Yes Minister, and won the TV BAFTA 4 times. Will piss obits everywhere.

Good idea for a monthly magazine.

Pissing Obits. The magazine that tells you which golden shower has died last month. Watch out for Issue Number 2 though, it's a solid read.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Aye, point taken

D'ya think he'd find this site funny?

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, point taken

D'ya think he'd find this site funny?

Yes apart from the bit where someone suggested he wasn't obit fit...

• Haha 6