Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

On 24/04/2017 at 14:07, earl said:

Do you know Bancini, one character of the movie One flew into thw cuckoo's nest? The actor who played that role is still alive at 96! His name is Josip Elic.

Josip Elic has died:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Josip Elic has died:

Considered picking him this year - had a quick trawl and - currently - can't see owt by way of a q/o for anyone who has him on the DDP.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Considered picking him this year - had a quick trawl and - currently - can't see owt by way of a q/o for anyone who has him on the DDP.

I Remember him from cuckoo's nest. Jesus he had a long life

2 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

I Remember him from cuckoo's nest. Jesus he had a long life

Yeah, but even the Daily Telegraph (who sorted me for the DDP unique pick Larry Wallis q/o) haven't thought to comment on this death, yet!

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hollywood Reporter obit

10 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

So, assorted obits but, let's get a reality check on how DDP would see it - cos I didn't sweat leaving him out of my final 20 on there

q/o in that company means...

• all subsections of bbc.co.uk/news (including the previously barred local news areas)
  • bbc.co.uk/sport
  • bbc.co.uk/newsbeat

Or from the UK versions of the following:

• telegraph.co.uk
  • thetimes.co.uk
  • ft.com
  • theguardian.com
  • dailymail.co.uk
  • express.co.uk
  • dailystar.co.uk
  • thesun.co.uk
  • mirror.co.uk
  • morningstaronline.co.uk
  • metro.co.uk
  • inews.co.uk

(this exludes references on the death announcements sections of broadsheet websites)

...or from these news sites:

• uk.reuters.com
  • news.sky.com/uk
  • skysports.com
  • itv.com/news
  • channel4.com/news

The notice of death must be in written English. Video links are only accepted if the strapline mentions the celebs passing.

Learned via watching Food Network the other night: Ali Ahmed Aslam, the Glaswegian chef credited with the invention of chicken tikka masala, is still alive.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Learned via watching Food Network the other night: Ali Ahmed Aslam, the Glaswegian chef credited with the invention of chicken tikka masala, is still alive.

Only in his mid 70s now as he was quite young when he opened the restaurant iirc.

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I would say I won't dignify that absurdity with a response....but here I am lol
Since I don't know where to begin with this -- other than the chicken tikka masala culture has been around longer than (and not within 2000 miles of) Hibernia -- allow me to simply say: BOLLOCKS!

34 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Since I don't know where to begin with this -- other than the chicken tikka masala culture has been around longer than (and not within 2000 miles of) Hibernia -- allow me to simply say: BOLLOCKS!

Clearly this is something you know fuck-all about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

You'd change your tune if some rando in Livonia, MI claimed to invent it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

You'd change your tune if some rando in Livonia, MI claimed to invent it.

No,  but if someone from Dearborn, MI had 'invented' a dish like that, it would have a sliver of merit.... however even then inventing a dish they've been serving for a millennium before the inventor was born would get the same response from SirC.

34 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

No,  but if someone from Dearborn, MI had 'invented' a dish like that, it would have a sliver of merit.... however even then inventing a dish they've been serving for a millennium before the inventor was born would get the same response from SirC.

:facepalm:

Was reading about Sandy Fawkes recently and was surprised to hear her ex-husband Wally Fawkes aka Trog is still alive. 

Peregrine Worsthorne will be 96 on 22 December. He was a journalist & national newspaper editor in his time & is married to Lucinda Lambton who used to be a prolific broadcaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Peregrine Worsthorne will be 96 on 22 December. He was a journalist & national newspaper editor in his time & is married to Lucinda Lambton who used to be a prolific broadcaster.

It's astonishing he's still alive. He looked elderly on the 1979 BBC General Election programme over 40 years ago! 

• Like 2

Walter ("Wally") Fawkes is 95. He drew the Flook cartoon in the Daily Mail for 35 years and when it was suddenly dropped Maxwell had it in the Daily Mirror for a while. He eventually wrote Flook as well but earlier on  people such as Barry Took, Humphrey Lyttleton (a fellow jazz musician) & Barry Norman had written the cartoon strip which appeared alongside Carol Day and Rip Kirby strips.

34 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Walter ("Wally") Fawkes is 95. He drew the Flook cartoon in the Daily Mail for 35 years and when it was suddenly dropped Maxwell had it in the Daily Mirror for a while. He eventually wrote Flook as well but earlier on  people such as Barry Took, Humphrey Lyttleton (a fellow jazz musician) & Barry Norman had written the cartoon strip which appeared alongside Carol Day and Rip Kirby strips.

As a small child I naturally went straight to the cartoon section whenever I laid hands on a newspaper. 

I never understood who/what Flook was, or what the flook it was all about.

• Like 3

How the fuck Tony "Doc" Shiels continues to breath at 81 is anyone's guess. Last clapped eyes on him over 20 years ago when his alcoholism caused some disruption to the first Fortean Times Unconvention. Obit chances in major dead pools highly chancy - but here's a four year old photo of Doc being Doc

1024px-DocShiels2015f.JPG

If anyone else finished reading a copy of The Rural Tradition - an academic digest of British writers on the landscape first published in 1974 - yesterday; I'd be amazed. By way of Googling obscure information on these people I was amazed to discover the obitable Ronald Blythe is still alive - was 97 last month, got a CBE for services to literature a couple of years back; which likely woke up those who trawl the lists to update broadsheet obits!

p18_ronald-blythe-main-pic.jpg

6 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

If anyone else finished reading a copy of The Rural Tradition - an academic digest of British writers on the landscape first published in 1974 - yesterday; I'd be amazed. By way of Googling obscure information on these people I was amazed to discover the obitable Ronald Blythe is still alive - was 97 last month, got a CBE for services to literature a couple of years back; which likely woke up those who trawl the lists to update broadsheet obits!

p18_ronald-blythe-main-pic.jpg

I haven't read his work, but his name was enough to elevate him to the exalted ranks of my Rons theme team at the start of the year, so if you could all kindly forget about him, he can be unique again next year. Thanks.

18 hours ago, time said:

I haven't read his work, but his name was enough to elevate him to the exalted ranks of my Rons theme team at the start of the year, so if you could all kindly forget about him, he can be unique again next year. Thanks.

Aye, no problem

Ron-Yeats.jpg

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, no problem

Ron-Yeats.jpg

Well played!