Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Heard "(I Don't Know Why) But I Do" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry in a commercial tonight and looked it up since I could not remember who sung it or the exact name of the song. Recognized his name and thought "wasn't he one of those born in the 1910s, died 30-40 years ago types?" only to find out he was born in 1937 and still alive.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Heard "(I Don't Know Why) But I Do" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry in a commercial tonight and looked it up since I could not remember who sung it or the exact name of the song. Recognized his name and thought "wasn't he one of those born in the 1910s, died 30-40 years ago types?" only to find out he was born in 1937 and still alive.

I've similar issues with Herb Alpert.

My mind is also convinced, to the point it surprises me each time I read otherwise, that Duane Eddy is dead. I think my brain merges him into a combo of 1960s/70s deaths I read about as a kid in They Died Too Young series (Eddie Cochran/Gram Parsons/Duane somebody or other - presumably Allman)...

7 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I saw him support Cannon & Ball in summer season in Scarborough back in the early 1980s. Cannon & Ball were naturally shit.

2 hours ago, msc said:

I've similar issues with Herb Alpert.

My mind is also convinced, to the point it surprises me each time I read otherwise, that Duane Eddy is dead. I think my brain merges him into a combo of 1960s/70s deaths I read about as a kid in They Died Too Young series (Eddie Cochran/Gram Parsons/Duane somebody or other - presumably Allman)...

Indeed, I feel like there's some other dead New Orleans R&B figure who followed the same Firstname "Nickname" Surname metric that made me think Frogman was dead too. But I can't think of any. I can only think of still living Huey "Piano" Smith (who also has the feel of someone who died a while back, but I already knew he's alive).

Both wives of John Thaw & also Jon Pertwee are still alive & John Thaw's first wife (before Sheila Hancock) was portrayed in Endeavour last Sunday as she was a leading Women's Liberation activist in the 70's which is the decade Endeavour has now reached. Confusingly JohnThaw's daughter Abigail is a regular in the show (as editor of the Oxford Mail) & also her daughter appeared last Sunday as well as someone playing her own mother in a scene at Ruskin College where a significant Women's Liberation Movement meeting was held!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Both wives of John Thaw & also Jon Pertwee are still alive & John Thaw's first wife (before Sheila Hancock) was portrayed in Endeavour last Sunday as she was a leading Women's Liberation activist in the 70's which is the decade Endeavour has now reached. Confusingly JohnThaw's daughter Abigail is a regular in the show (as editor of the Oxford Mail) & also her daughter appeared last Sunday as well as someone playing her own mother in a scene at Ruskin College where a significant Women's Liberation Movement meeting was held!

I would have preferred this if you had left out the Jon Pertwee reference and expanded the Endeavour reference to something along the lines of it being about a character played by John Thaw when he was older just for maximum confusion value.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I would have preferred this if you had left out the Jon Pertwee reference and expanded the Endeavour reference to something along the lines of it being about a character played by John Thaw when he was older just for maximum confusion value.

I like how Jean Marsh is easily the most famous person referenced in the post and appears merely as "also Jon Pertwee"...

Marsh is a DL future cert, Ingeborg Pertwee somewhat less so.

Sheila Hancock is also a potential future DL pick, but Sally Alexander doesn't seem in trouble of threatening deadpoolers anytime soon last I saw?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

I think the whole episode reached quadruple confusion mode. Endeavour is a prequel to Morse in which the John Thaw character is played by Shaun Evans. John's daughter Abigail Thaw has a regular supporting role as the local newspaper editor. In last Sunday's episode which was set in 1970 the real-life character of Sally Alexander appeared in a scene with Abigail Thaw who is her real-life daughter of course. The part of Sally Alexander was played by Abigail Thaw's actual daughter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One for the "didn't they die decades ago?" list:

Fanny Rodwell, widow of Herge, and owner of his estate (ie Tintin). Now 86.

• Like 4

Deathray asked (in the light of ABBA accomplishing the feat) what bands had all members reach 70.  Somehow that diminished to any band not even four members.

I got to wondering if Flatt & Scruggs made it (they didn’t) - which led me to a review of the Foggy Mountain Boys.  
Shockingly, bass player Bob Moore is still with us, a spry 87 in fact.  A name to toss around in future years in various less stringent DPs.  He was Patsy Cline’s principle bassist so maybe DDP worthy.

SirC

Someone I thought was long dead, but apparently not.

Felicity Green, fashion journalist who became the first Fleet Street female newspaper editor in the 50s, is still alive and aged 94. Just seen her as an interviewee in a very old documentary and went to check when she snuffed it only to find she apparently hasn't.

On 09/01/2020 at 07:06, Death Impends said:

Indeed, I feel like there's some other dead New Orleans R&B figure who followed the same Firstname "Nickname" Surname metric that made me think Frogman was dead too. But I can't think of any. I can only think of still living Huey "Piano" Smith (who also has the feel of someone who died a while back, but I already knew he's alive).

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. That had to be the dead guy I confused Frogman with.

12 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

John Leyton who sang Johnny Remember Me... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leyton

Could have sworn he died a few years back? 

He didn't, otherwise he wouldn't have made the starting lineup on my Silver Screen deadpool team! At a mere 84 he's the youngster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

John Leyton who sang Johnny Remember Me... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leyton

Could have sworn he died a few years back? 

Was considered by me for my "get em on the DDP" theme team (when that existed) but just felt younger than other contenders. The song was banned by the BBC back in the 60s for being too occult-ish or something like that.

10 hours ago, msc said:

Was considered by me for my "get em on the DDP" theme team (when that existed) but just felt younger than other contenders. The song was banned by the BBC back in the 60s for being too occult-ish or something like that.

For some reason the BBC was very squeamish about teenage death songs.  It wasn't anything to do with the occult as other banned records didn't suggest hauntings.  They included the Shangri-Las' Leader Of The Pack and Terry by Twinkle.  There were plenty more.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Toast said:

For some reason the BBC was very squeamish about teenage death songs.  It wasn't anything to do with the occult as other banned records didn't suggest hauntings.  They included the Shangri La's Leader Of The Pack and Terry by Twinkle.  There were plenty more.

That's where they went wrong, of course. The female ghostly chorus adds considerably to Johnny Remember Me's memorability.

35 minutes ago, msc said:

That's where they went wrong, of course. The female ghostly chorus adds considerably to Johnny Remember Me's memorability.

Ironically I don't remember Johnny Remember Me, although of course I heard it in later years.  My best friend and I had a morbid obsession with Terry, though.  She was able to persuade her mother to buy it, but I failed there.

Teen tragedy songs need an authenticity to the heartbreak or hauntingness to work for me. I like Leader of the Pack but a few of the others come across as too artificially mopey. Don't believe Johnny Remember Me or Terry play on US radio so I haven't heard either.

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Teen tragedy songs need an authenticity to the heartbreak or hauntingness to work for me. I like Leader of the Pack but a few of the others come across as too artificially mopey. Don't believe Johnny Remember Me or Terry play on US radio so I haven't heard either.

It was later used by Bronski Beat in a medley

And covered by Showawaddywaddy

• Like 1

Tell Laura I Love Her was another one that fell foul of that rule

On 01/01/2018 at 12:32, YoungWillz said:

M - Z

Victoria Ramsey (Lady)

We missed this but Alf Ramsey's widow Lady Victoria Ramsey (for search purposes) died in March 2018. Mentioned in this BBC article.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Toast said:

9 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Have given these a listen and like both.

• Like 1

French Singer Pierre Perret is still with us and is now 85 : I could have sworn he has died at the beginning of the 2000’s but apparently not